Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Pat Robertson - "Divorce Your Wife If She Has Alzheimers"

Pat Robertson - "Divorce Your Wife If She Has Alzheimers"

Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Pat Robertson - "Divorce Your Wife If She Has Alzheimers"

What a Jackass!

I'm a believer in "For Better - For Worse" etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qt_JCnRdCQ

He is just a Moron, preying on the Gullible.

Jim.
Old Sep 14th 2011, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

cluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond reputecluedweasel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pat Robertson - "Divorce Your Wife If She Has Alzheimers"

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
What a Jackass!

That's the problem I have with the so-called evangelical christians. They don't seem to believe in anything Christian.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:47 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
What a Jackass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qt_JCnRdCQ

He is just a Moron, preying on the Gullible.

Jim.
Insane old people are hilarious.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 1:51 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
That's the problem I have with the so-called evangelical christians. They don't seem to believe in anything Christian.
The representation of Christians on TV is much like the representation of Muslims on TV. Putting the crazy ones on is much more entertaining, and better for ratings.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 2:22 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Robertson is not one of my favorites. However, on this one, I find myself in agreement. Listen to his whole statement -- it was not uncaring or glib.

Forty years ago, my great aunt was a widow who became quite friendly with Lou. Lou was a delightful man. Lou's wife suffered from Alzheimer's and was living in a nursing home. It was an open secret in the family that my aunt and Lou were living together -- but this was in the day when that was just not openly done. Everyone in both families were extremely pleased about the relationship even though we had to pretend that they were not sharing living quarters.

This reminds me of recent statements by Mike Huckabee and Rick Perry. Mr. Huckabee had been questioned about the Casey Anthony verdict -- although he may have disagreed with the verdict, he was sympathetic towards the jury. He noted that one of the toughest jobs he had as governor were the last minute clemency decisions regarding executions. Gov. Huckabee said he gave a lot of thought to those decisions and he lost sleep. I found that I admired his feelings.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:35 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Insane old people are hilarious.
+ a few thousand

I hope I'm borderline certifiable when I'm old - just to really piss off my children
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow!!

Well, I never thought that I would find myself agreeing with Pat Robertson but as far as that specific question goes I have to say that I do.

Full disclosure:

My (ex) domestic partner was diagnosed with HIV and AIDS Dementia Complex almost 6 years ago after a sudden and precipitous decline in his cognitive abilities which left him in need of 24/7 care with extremely little short term memory and generally in a state very similar to mid to late stage Alzheimers. He has been in an assisted living facility ever since and although he is on anti retroviral drugs that keep him physically (comparatively) healthy the brain damage caused by the HIV is permanent.

For all practical purposes he is, in a very real sense, no longer the person that I lived with for over 20 years - that person no longer exists. There is, however a new and different person there now who is deserving of respect and care but who no longer needs me to provide that for him. Earlier this year after being his conservator for 5 years I found a very good professional fiduciary and petitioned the court to have her appointed to replace me.

Now I get to move on with my life. That doesn't mean that I no longer care about him or no longer visit him - in fact it is much easier for me to do that and to maintain a new and different relationship with him now that I no longer have the burden of being responsible for him.

During this process I have met (both in person and in internet support groups) many other people who have a relative or partner with some form of dementia (not necessarily just Alzheimers) and while everyone handles it differently there is a general agreement that it very often feels like a long slow death drawn out over many years where the original person is long since gone. In many cases the disease doesn't just destroy one life but sometimes entire families (and this is particularly true of the forms of dementia such as FTD which can strike much earlier than Alzheimers - even in the 30's and 40's).

Anyway, while I would not presume to tell anyone else what they should or must do I would urge those of you who have not been in this situation to be careful about judging the actions of those of us who are.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
+ a few thousand

I hope I'm borderline certifiable when I'm old - just to really piss off my children
Piss them off now or when they are a little bit older. Then you will know you're peeing them off, rather than wait and not know you're doing it because you have brain rot.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 3:58 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joto
Piss them off now or when they are a little bit older. Then you will know you're peeing them off, rather than wait and not know you're doing it because you have brain rot.
I do piss them off now as well. But when I'm old and nuts then they get hit with the guilt because their old da might not be around to piss them off much longer, and it's not his fault, really . . .

I like to prolong the agony, me
Old Sep 15th 2011, 4:07 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cluedweasel
I would not go that far, perhaps a bit overly enthusiastic and arrogant in many public statements. I believe there is only one omniscient being however they are named.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 5:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by S Folinsky
Robertson is not one of my favorites. However, on this one, I find myself in agreement. Listen to his whole statement -- it was not uncaring or glib.
I agree.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 8:13 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the notion that people sometimes shouldn't stay married/faithful to a partner who has sustained an injury or illness of this type. I've been very close to people who have been through this exact situation and I have complete compassion for both positions.

As far as Pat Robertson goes though ... oh hell no. I've seen the tape and the point that I think everybody is missing is what a complete hypocrite and piece of crap of a Christian minister that Pat Robertson really is.

The guy who called in was claiming to blame God and be angry with God because of the situation - sentiments and statements that basically amount to blasphemy. The man also had already been having an affair and was angry that his sick wife was interfering with his new relationship. This is adultery. Robertson didn't call the guy on any of his own selfish behaviors and went directly to the "Kick the bitch to the curb and get on with your life," mantra.

Pat Robertson is the same evil SOB who, any time there is a natural disaster, blames the homos, Muslims, and feminists, in whatever given city. It's their sins that bring the disasters and the whole city is being punished for not having cast them out.

I guess his call-in viewership are the only ones exempt from God's wrath. What a tool.

Last edited by Leslie; Sep 15th 2011 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
I agree with the notion that people sometimes shouldn't stay married/faithful to a partner who has sustained an injury or illness of this type. I've been very close to people who have been through this exact situation and I have complete compassion for both positions.

As far as Pat Robertson goes though ... oh hell no. I've seen the tape and the point that I think everybody is missing is what a complete hypocrite and piece of crap of a Christian minister that Pat Robertson really is.

The guy who called in was claiming to blame God and be angry with God because of the situation - sentiments and statements that basically amount to blasphemy. The man also had already been having an affair and was angry that his sick wife was interfering with his new relationship. This is adultery. Robertson didn't call the guy on any of his own selfish behaviors and went directly to the "Kick the bitch to the curb and get on with your life," mantra.

Pat Robertson is the same evil SOB who, any time there is a natural disaster, blames the homos, Muslims, and feminists, in whatever given city. It's their sins that bring the disasters and the whole city is being punished for not having cast them out.

I guess his call-in viewership are the only ones exempt from God's wrath. What a tool.
Oh, the God People always bend the rules to suit themselves.
Old Sep 15th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie
Oh, no - I am definitely not missing that

The man simply defies description and if he occasionally happens to say something that makes sense then it is no more significant that the fact that a stopped clock will still be correct for an instant twice a day.

My earlier response was really more intended to point out that the notion of "For better - For worse" doesn't necessarily work for everyone ...
Old Sep 16th 2011, 6:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

No use for any of the money grubbing televangelist ****s.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.