Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Which passport do you use ?

Which passport do you use ?

Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which passport do you use ?

Originally Posted by RICH
classic misdirection tsctic.
Only another spy would think that...
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:58 am
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

I can neither confirm nor deny any specific allegations...
Old Sep 18th 2019, 5:07 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Only another spy would think that...
oops
Old Sep 19th 2019, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TexanScot
Depending on where in the world you are travelling there can be valid, sensible reasons for carrying two passports.

There's a reason why I have multiple concurrently valid British Passports and no, I'm not in the spy business!
I was working in Iran for a while for a European company, I used my US passport to leave and return to the US and left my UK one in Europe to have the visa renewed and either had it
mailed back or picked it up on the way past.
I always included Iran on the list of countries visited when returning to the US nobody ever batted an eye.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norri
I was working in Iran for a while for a European company, I used my US passport to leave and return to the US and left my UK one in Europe to have the visa renewed and either had it
mailed back or picked it up on the way past.
I always included Iran on the list of countries visited when returning to the US nobody ever batted an eye.
It’s not usually the USA that is an issue in these circumstances. I knew a couple of folks in the big chemical company I used to work for who had 2 British passports. This was because we did business in countries that were enemies. In these cases it was India and Pakistan. Since these 2 guys traveled to both on company business they didn’t want to have a passport with a visa stamped in their passport that may get them refused entry.
Old Sep 19th 2019, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sun_burn
This question is directed at those holding multiple passports - particularly UK plus US . When traveling to third countries where there’s no obvious basis to use one over the other - eg UK passport within EU , or places where one passport had no visa requirement , on what basis do you choose which passport to use ? It would be particularly interesting if you’d mention which country it was and the basis of your choice.
I would have thought taking a trip to Cuba might call for the UK passport? And/or, other countries with which the US does not have particularly good relations? Similarly, I might consider whipping out my US passport if I'm ever lucky enough to visit Argentina.

My g/f was recently on a 'European tour package' with people from all over the world that included a train border crossing into Russia. The Russian border folks made the US Passport holders wait till last and the treatment was somewhat hostile. Her best friend was with her and she's not a US passport holder and they compared notes.

Old Sep 19th 2019, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

TexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond reputeTexanScot has a reputation beyond repute

Close.

The problem isn’t so much the travel history as much as the fact that certain countries are known to refuse entry if they see visas or border crossing stamps from certain other countries.

If I were to mention the House of Saud and the Star of David as being particularly relevant here, you should all be able to join the dots.

The US actually has never cared about my travel history or my work visas from countries with interesting and novel approaches to human rights!
Old Sep 30th 2019, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Asides from the basic US pp for the US and UK for the UK, I use whichever one is less full as I travel an awful lot to countries which insist on chocking up your passport with full page visas. Renewed my US one last year, got a 52 pager so that is what I'm currently using. My 5 year old 48 page UK passport is totally full....I suppose I should renew it really but it still works for entry to UK when I need it.
Old Sep 30th 2019, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
Asides from the basic US pp for the US and UK for the UK, I use whichever one is less full as I travel an awful lot to countries which insist on chocking up your passport with full page visas. Renewed my US one last year, got a 52 pager so that is what I'm currently using. My 5 year old 48 page UK passport is totally full....I suppose I should renew it really but it still works for entry to UK when I need it.
Obviously a spy
Old Sep 30th 2019, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Obviously a spy
That's right 😁 Spying on the interior of planes all the time it seems!
Old Dec 9th 2019, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

Yankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud ofYankashire has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I would have thought taking a trip to Cuba might call for the UK passport? And/or, other countries with which the US does not have particularly good relations? Similarly, I might consider whipping out my US passport if I'm ever lucky enough to visit Argentina.

My g/f was recently on a 'European tour package' with people from all over the world that included a train border crossing into Russia. The Russian border folks made the US Passport holders wait till last and the treatment was somewhat hostile. Her best friend was with her and she's not a US passport holder and they compared notes.
Hi, all:

Dual US / German (EU) citizen here, recently arrived in the UK; I know I'm not the target demographic of the forum, but I've found it to be a very interesting resource.

My current practice is to try to use my German passport for every country other than the US, Canada, and (counterintuitively) Russia, as the US has a more generous tourist visa reciprocity agreement with Russia than Germany does (I think this dates from one of the infamous "resets"). I can speak only for myself, but I have entered and left Russia several times on my US passport and have never had a problem.

Obviously I use my German passport for every EU country, at least since I have obtained it. I also used my German passport specifically for Ukraine, to avoid any potential issue in Russia (although I've read that this hasn't been a problem for some others).

I did visit Argentina last year on my US passport, before I had a German passport in my possession. No problems to report, but I can confirm that the Falklands / Malvinas issue is alive and well in some quarters in that country...

I'm also present in the UK on my German passport. Before I relocated here, I traveled here multiple times on my US passport, but that was when they were still stamping and taking landing cards...

Anyway, thanks to all for keeping this interesting forum active. Looking forward to keeping up to date.