Pandemic Burnout

Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:10 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pandemic Burnout

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Yes it could be worse. You could be stuck here

Our parents felt the same as well. And so it goes on. But you'll be able to visit him and he will be able to visit you so it won't be so bad once you're settled in the UK again.

Exactly, on our terms. Usually I don't mind 99% of the time, especially if I have a few drinks in me.
Dear god I miss a good pub.

I thought I was stuck here, and then suddenly I got fired and after three months of job hunting got one that would allow me to make the move.

You just never know what life will hand you.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
My wallet doesn't ...

I thought I was stuck here, and then suddenly I got fired and after three months of job hunting got one that would allow me to make the move.

You just never know what life will hand you.
Yeah, I don't want to get fired, I am not mentally equipped to deal with that.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

My stepdaughter is feeling burnout, not from the pandemic, but people complaining about it.

She works retail and part of her duties include asking people to wear masks properly, keep distance etc

Since day one she's been listening to people tell her directly or just over hearing how they've travelled to other parts of the province (against instructions because it's a hot area) or have travelled in to this part of the province; have said they couldn't go to work 'today' because someone in the house has covid (so why are they in a non essential retail store); complaints about the cart handle being wet - because it's just been sanitised; "it's just flu/cold"; "how come I can go to a restaurant for a meal not have people home for meal?" (because restaurants can control the environment, police vaccine passports etc and you can't...how many more times?; people buying fr the guest room for the visitors they are not supposed to have etc.

All things that at one time another have been subject to restrictions and measures but these people are not following them.

If she had her way, we'd be back on lockdown - like for the original 6 weeks (and only 6 weeks) but not at all since then - even if there were no compensation payments.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Take away table service and some places here are very much like the UK except for one detail. Even where they have more 'ale' type beers they're still served up ice cold.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:30 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
My wallet doesn't ...

Yeah, I don't want to get fired, I am not mentally equipped to deal with that.
That is true, pubs empty the wallet a lot faster than they used to. Plus it's good that the food in them is better, but it costs a LOT more than the scotch egg and packet of crisps used to.

I don't think getting fired is necessary to the whole thing, it just worked out that way for me. It could all have gone very bad indeed. I got lucky.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK
My stepdaughter is feeling burnout, not from the pandemic, but people complaining about it.

She works retail and part of her duties include asking people to wear masks properly, keep distance etc

Since day one she's been listening to people tell her directly or just over hearing how they've travelled to other parts of the province (against instructions because it's a hot area) or have travelled in to this part of the province; have said they couldn't go to work 'today' because someone in the house has covid (so why are they in a non essential retail store); complaints about the cart handle being wet - because it's just been sanitised; "it's just flu/cold"; "how come I can go to a restaurant for a meal not have people home for meal?" (because restaurants can control the environment, police vaccine passports etc and you can't...how many more times?; people buying fr the guest room for the visitors they are not supposed to have etc.

All things that at one time another have been subject to restrictions and measures but these people are not following them.

If she had her way, we'd be back on lockdown - like for the original 6 weeks (and only 6 weeks) but not at all since then - even if there were no compensation payments.
Take away table service and some places here are very much like the UK except for one detail. Even where they have more 'ale' type beers they're still served up ice cold.

I would imagine making people wear masks when they don't want to is not an enviable job at all.

The thing with pubs is that cultural differences make them feel different, just as with any country. It's beyond the beer and food, etc.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:05 pm
Oscar nominated

The thing with pubs is that cultural differences make them feel different, just as with any country. It's beyond the beer and food, etc.
Yes, but I think the difference isn't as great (or numerous) as used to be the case.

It was changing a lot in the years before I moved to Canada, it looks like that has continued apace reading reports of New year celebrations last night.. So many places with no draft beers and just being given an open bottle unless specifically asking for a glass.

I wonder why peas get an apostrophe but chips don't.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 10:49 pm

Anarchic Canadians.
Old Jan 1st 2022, 11:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Anarchic Canadians.
Is it Canadian? The prices are in pounds?
Old Jan 1st 2022, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Is it Canadian? The prices are in pounds?
So they are. I just assumed because Bristol is in Canada and didn't look carefully.

Does this explain the apostrophe on the peas but not the chips?
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:07 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So they are. I just assumed because Bristol is in Canada and didn't look carefully.

No - you need to get back and sort them out
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 12:11 am
Oscar nominated

That's weird. I know I typed out something about it being my old local and a Toastie was the only thing on the menu back then.

I think it got caught up in a different edit.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
No - you need to get back and sort them out

I've made a note.
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 1:14 am

That's weird. I know I typed out something about it being my old local and a Toastie was the only thing on the menu back then.

I think it got caught up in a different edit.

Well you're still ahead of me. My old local closed down after one stabbing too many
Old Jan 2nd 2022, 10:52 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but I think the difference isn't as great (or numerous) as used to be the case.

It was changing a lot in the years before I moved to Canada, it looks like that has continued apace reading reports of New year celebrations last night.. So many places with no draft beers and just being given an open bottle unless specifically asking for a glass.

Very reasonable prices. I'd normally peg a burger or F&C at around £10-12.

I tend to use apostrophes fairly "aesthetically". I'll add one if I think it makes the word look better, even when I know it's incorrect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.