British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Palin for Pres in 2012? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/palin-pres-2012-a-654797/)

nettlebed Feb 14th 2010 5:55 am

Palin for Pres in 2012?

Leonard Pitts sends an open letter urging, almost begging her to run.

I particularly like this quote:

"So no, this is not a clash of ideologies, but a clash between intelligence and its opposite. And I am tired of being asked to pretend stupid is a virtue. That's why I'd welcome the moment of truth your campaign would bring. It would force us to decide once and for all whether we are permanently committed to the path of ignorance, of birthers, truthers and tea-party incoherence you represent, or whether we will at last turn back from the cliff toward which we race."

I'm with Pitts on this one: run, Sarah, run!

NAR14 Feb 14th 2010 6:34 am

Re: Palin for Pres in 2012?

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8341513)
Leonard Pitts sends an open letter urging, almost begging her to run.

I particularly like this quote:

"So no, this is not a clash of ideologies, but a clash between intelligence and its opposite. And I am tired of being asked to pretend stupid is a virtue. That's why I'd welcome the moment of truth your campaign would bring. It would force us to decide once and for all whether we are permanently committed to the path of ignorance, of birthers, truthers and tea-party incoherence you represent, or whether we will at last turn back from the cliff toward which we race."

I'm with Pitts on this one: run, Sarah, run!

Me too. Good letter.

How embarrassing it would be though if she actually became Pres. The words "laughing" and "stock" come to mind. As do "nuclear" and "war".

nettlebed Feb 14th 2010 6:38 am

Originally Posted by NAR14 (Post 8341594)
Me too. Good letter.

How embarrassing it would be though if she actually became Pres. The words "laughing" and "stock" come to mind. As do "nuclear" and "war".

The words heard in our household would be "Where the hell is my UK passport?" and "How long will it take me to get to Vancouver?"

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 14th 2010 6:45 am

The whole tea party things really ticks me off. The original tea party was held due to "taxation without representation".

Face it people, you have representation, sorry if it's not who you wanted.

NAR14 Feb 14th 2010 6:45 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8341602)
The words heard in our household would be "Where the hell is my UK passport?" and "How long will it take me to get to Vancouver?"

Hahaha, yes definitely. I think a swift move back to the UK would be in order if that happened.

Kaffy Mintcake Feb 14th 2010 6:47 am

Originally Posted by NAR14 (Post 8341621)
Hahaha, yes definitely. I think a swift move back to the UK would be in order if that happened.

Could you sponsor a few yanks?

NAR14 Feb 14th 2010 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8341625)

:thumbsup: I'll do whatever I can.

chartreuse Feb 14th 2010 6:51 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8341617)
The whole tea party things really ticks me off. The original tea party was held due to "taxation without representation".

Face it people, you have representation, sorry if it's not who you wanted.

Ah, but do they, though? One might argue that they get a choice, every four years, between a member of what Nick Cohen calls "the political classes" wearing a Republican sticker and an identical bastard wearing a Democrat one. Neither of whom give a flying fsck about the people...

elfman Feb 14th 2010 6:56 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8341636)
Ah, but do they, though? One might argue that they get a choice, every four years, between a member of what Nick Cohen calls "the political classes" wearing a Republican sticker and an identical bastard wearing a Democrat one. Neither of whom give a flying fsck about the people...

some validity in the above, but all this tea party malarkey didn't kick off under the previous administration

nettlebed Feb 14th 2010 6:58 am

Originally Posted by chartreuse (Post 8341636)

Agree totally, mate.

The major political problem in the US is Congress, bought and paid for by the corporations. We DESPERATELY need constitutional reform in this country. What shape that reform might take, I don't know, but I am completely convinced of the necessity for it.

A constitutional convention would be a great way to start, but the partisanship of both parties might cripple that from the beginning. A third party could help things along, and I would love to see a slew of independents being elected this year, no matter what.

nettlebed Feb 14th 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by elfman (Post 8341649)
some validity in the above, but all this tea party malarkey didn't kick off under the previous administration

I genuinely believe that (mostly unacknowledged or unrecognized) racism is at the heart of a lot of the vitriolic hatred these people show towards our duly elected president. It came openly out in the campaign a few times (the Obama/Curious George T-shirts, the use of the words "boy" and "uppity" to describe Obama), and I am sure as hell that behind the closed doors of teabaggers meetings, it is much more prevalent.

ironporer Feb 14th 2010 7:40 am

Originally Posted by nettlebed (Post 8341664)
I genuinely believe that (mostly unacknowledged or unrecognized) racism is at the heart of a lot of the vitriolic hatred these people show towards our duly elected president. It came openly out in the campaign a few times (the Obama/Curious George T-shirts, the use of the words "boy" and "uppity" to describe Obama), and I am sure as hell that behind the closed doors of teabaggers meetings, it is much more prevalent.

I Know!!! Like when Bill Clinton said "A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee."
:confused:

nettlebed Feb 14th 2010 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ironporer (Post 8341764)
I Know!!! Like when Bill Clinton said "A few years ago, this guy would have been getting us coffee."
:confused:

At heart, Ol' Bill is just as much as "suthern lad" as Jimmuh and Billuh Cahtuh ever were...

bevinva Feb 14th 2010 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake (Post 8341625)

Go on then send your huddled masses yearning to breathe free.

MrEmjoy Feb 14th 2010 9:02 am

****ing hell no, no ****ing way, I don't know how many ****ing expletives I can fit into a sentence but the day that murdering ****tard get's voted in to office is the day I leave. What a psycho bitch.

Now I'll read the letter, that was just my response to the idea of her being the president.