Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

an out interest question?

an out interest question?

Old Jun 2nd 2019, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

indigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond reputeindigogirl1976 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: an out interest question?

I waited until my 10 year green card was close to expiring. The only reason I did it was I my American father in law was afraid of President Trumps crackdown on immigration and wanted me to do it to ease his mind. I figured it was time too. My kids are edging towards middle school and if anything were to happen to my husband I would probably stay here so as not to uproot the kiddos.
Old Jun 3rd 2019, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I applied for mine at the +/- 25 year mark. Having been a big international traveler in my earlier days in the US, and having to document every trip outside the US on the application (trips made in the days before electronic records), I just kept putting it off. Finally I got nervous about the political climate (possible risk of PR's being treated differently) and hired a lawyer to help me pull together all the documentation. Ended up being a nice trip down memory lane, digging into old credit card bills trying to figure out where I'd been! Now that I've got it I enjoy voting and dislike Jury Duty. Best part is when you return to the US from an overseas trip and fly through immigration ... though in all honesty, the Green Card usually gave me the same privileges. I think I came in through Miami once and PR's weren't allowed to use the same lines as citizens, which was a bummer.
Old Jun 10th 2019, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Having been a big international traveler in my earlier days in the US, and having to document every trip outside the US on the application (trips made in the days before electronic records), I just kept putting it off.
The requirement to document every trip outside the U,S, since becoming a PR was changed quite a while ago to only ask about trips made in the last 5 years.

So, if you would have just put if off a little longer it wouldn't have been so much work ...

Old Jun 10th 2019, 1:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I applied for mine at the +/- 25 year mark. Having been a big international traveler in my earlier days in the US, and having to document every trip outside the US on the application (trips made in the days before electronic records), I just kept putting it off. Finally I got nervous about the political climate (possible risk of PR's being treated differently) and hired a lawyer to help me pull together all the documentation. Ended up being a nice trip down memory lane, digging into old credit card bills trying to figure out where I'd been! Now that I've got it I enjoy voting and dislike Jury Duty. Best part is when you return to the US from an overseas trip and fly through immigration ... though in all honesty, the Green Card usually gave me the same privileges. I think I came in through Miami once and PR's weren't allowed to use the same lines as citizens, which was a bummer.
Hubby travelled overseas almost weekly, plus we had many trips to Canada by road and flights to the UK, when PPs were not stamped. We did the best we could and wrote a notation saying that the trips were ‘to the best of our knowledge’.