Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Other than alcohol and games, what are the similarities between American and UK pub?

Other than alcohol and games, what are the similarities between American and UK pub?

Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

goldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to beholdgoldcrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Other than alcohol and games, what are the similarities between American and UK pub?

Because I'm not seeing much in common! For example:

http://mysite.verizon.net/cornerpub/

Can't bring family if not 21 years of age, pub sells sweatshirts, and I've not seen a pub in England, anyway, to which one could bring food as in a potluck.

Are there many (any?) pubs in America you think are very much like a UK pub?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:14 pm
Account Closed

Britgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Other than alcohol and games, what are the similarities between American and UK p

not round here !! Ahh the of a good old fashioned Pub !!!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:22 pm
time for a cuppa?

ukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond reputeukmumsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Other than alcohol and games, what are the similarities between American and UK p

Originally Posted by goldcrown

Can't bring family if not 21 years of age, pub sells sweatshirts, and I've not seen a pub in England, anyway, to which one could bring food as in a potluck.

Nope. We have one here in Ohio who claim to be a pub. Went there once and had their "authentic" fish and chips. Told them it was not very authentic - I mean plastic baskets and thin chips? I think it's hard to replicate with all the different rules and regs. Plus here in restaurants it's eat up and pay up so they can get some-one else in! May be different in other states that are more cosmopolitan?
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

In PA its eat up, leave me a large tip - cos i was really trying hard to be as rude to you as possible, then get out - and i really don't care if u didn't like the food. Ahh its a wonderful experience
Old Feb 15th 2007, 6:40 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of any pubs that allow you to bring in food for a potluck here in the States. That said have a walk down my block (10 pubs in a 7 block radius) and in the Woodlawn and Riverdale sections in the Westchester/Bronx Counties in New York. With our high population of Irish legal and illegal immigrants we have some of the most authentic pubs to be found in the NE. They are all owned, managed and serviced by immigrants and there is no American football games only footie as you call it. You can bring children under the age of 21 if there is food served in the pub at a table (not at the bar itself).

Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:16 am
Boomshacalaca!!

Tarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond reputeTarkak9 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll bite...... neither have live culture?!?!
I've never really been good at riddles; Ruddles on the other hand....
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:58 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

We have one which could qualify. It's not exactly the same, but has similar elements - Second Street Brewery. It's basically a getaway from mainstream America for people who are more laid back and enjoy imperfection more than being on time to the pta meeting - you can hang out at the bar and shoot the sh!t with people getting off work, or whoever walks in the door. You can bring your kids, you can bring your dog. You can bring your friends, or make new ones - no meat market. You can order food or not - noone cares if you take up a table with nothing on it. Nobody yells at you if you order at the bar instead of from the waitstaff. Also lots of live music, usually by the people who hang out at the brewery in the first place. And while they do serve fish'n'chips, they make no claims concerning authenticity.

Basically, you can do as you wish. Which is not how the average US bar works.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:10 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see much similarity on the alcohol side - well at least the only important alcohol - beer.

Originally Posted by ukmumsie
We have one here in Ohio who claim to be a pub. Went there once and had their "authentic" fish and chips. Told them it was not very authentic...

I'm not sure I've ever had what I'd deem "proper" fish and chips in a pub in the UK. It was always generally a very 'sanitised' version of what you'd get in a chip shop - frozen chips etc.

I'd actually stick my neck out here and say that the only time I can **remember** having 'authentic' F&C in a pub was in the Chip Shop in Brooklyn (named 'Chip Shop' but actually a pub for those unfamiliar with this establishment).
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:03 pm
How many vacation days?

Warrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to allWarrington Wolf is a name known to all

God, I miss pubs and I'd go back to Britain just for that reason. I keep getting flashbacks of sitting outside a pub on a warm summer's evening watching the world go by and listening to the birds singing. Sigh...

Excuse me whilst I go and pack.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

when we went back last year. we checked into hotel at heathrow - threw bags in room - and then literally ran for the nearest fish n chip shop!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:22 pm
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

We have a "pub" near us. It's meant to be Irish and it's more like a pub/ restaurant. The food is good, they have live music and draught Guiness... one of my favourite beers.
It gets very crowded but you can take children in. My 15 year old often goes there for lunch with friends. No garden though.
We had lots of bars near us in the UK, very continental with outdoor seating etc but not many nice pubs. Weatherspoons had taken over.

Last edited by jumping doris; Feb 16th 2007 at 3:28 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
We have one which could qualify. It's not exactly the same, but has similar elements - Second Street Brewery. It's basically a getaway from mainstream America for people who are more laid back and enjoy imperfection more than being on time to the pta meeting - you can hang out at the bar and shoot the sh!t with people getting off work, or whoever walks in the door. You can bring your kids, you can bring your dog. You can bring your friends, or make new ones - no meat market. You can order food or not - noone cares if you take up a table with nothing on it. Nobody yells at you if you order at the bar instead of from the waitstaff. Also lots of live music, usually by the people who hang out at the brewery in the first place. And while they do serve fish'n'chips, they make no claims concerning authenticity.

Basically, you can do as you wish. Which is not how the average US bar works.
Do you own this pub? It sounds to good to be true!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:26 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Although I've never been to a pub in England I can think of a few in St. Louis that sound like they might come close. St. Louis is a very beer friendly city, is neighborhood oriented and has very working class roots. I'm speaking of the City proper here, not the burbs. Years ago, corner taverns would issue pails (quite literally, a small tin bucket) and fill it with beer "to go" for the man going home from work. During festivals like St. Patty's and October Fest, you can still buy beer in a tin pail. I grew up in the Italian section and all the parents had their favorite Tavern. Back in the late '70s and '80s when I was grade school age I remember many people wore satin jackets with the name of their preferred tavern emblazoned across the back. My father's was "Rose's Garden and Bocce Court". On warm nights my friends and I would run around the outside seating area, the men would drink beer and play Bocce and the women would sit at a cluster of tables watching their husbands play and talking about whatever it is women talk about. Here's a good writeup on another bar in the neighborhood that opened under the present owners when I was about ten. http://www.saucemagazine.com/article/3/18

I don't hang out in the old neighborhood any more, but I bet it hasn't changed much. It's the kind of place where generations of the same family live within a few blocks of each other.

I don't think it's possible to find a good pub in a strip mall, they're as plastic as the people you'll find inside.

Here's a few modern bars in St. Louis that while they don't have the neighborhood feel of the places I grew up with (or is it just sentimentality talking?) I would recommend that you try if you're ever in the area.

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/stlo...s-pub/v-110954

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/stlo...ls/v-111752866

http://www.schlafly.com/

http://www.patsbarandgrill.com/ ( I had my first brain sandwich here!)

http://www.mcgurks.com/

http://www.thescottisharms.com/index.shtml
Old Feb 19th 2007, 5:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

around here, and I'm talking the burbs and the one's in maine, there mostly themed, the one's that weren't were half decent, you need to drive to get to them...and anything half decent to drink that's on tap isn't cheap, but good...cheapo bottles of piss though.

Food, mixed, often themed....atmosphere, either there isn't any, or it's themed.

Not family friendly, but there's no smoking in them around here.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 6:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

zero.....non around here m8y

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.