British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The OTHER 'R' Word... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/other-r-word-528392/)

Roland Hulme Apr 10th 2008 6:14 pm

The OTHER 'R' Word...

Retarded.

Is this a word you use? It seems commonplace in America, but I believe it would be considered highly offensive in the UK.

Octang Frye Apr 10th 2008 6:18 pm

Re: The OTHER 'R' Word...

Roland, you are weetarted. Yay!

BritGuyTN Apr 10th 2008 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Roland Hulme (Post 6189751)
Retarded.

Is this a word you use? It seems commonplace in America, but I believe it would be considered highly offensive in the UK.

use it all the time although my wife says I need to cut down on its usage

in order to comply I have started using '****tard' a lot more

Octang Frye Apr 10th 2008 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN (Post 6189826)
use it all the time although my wife says I need to cut down on its usage

in order to comply I have started using '****tard' a lot more

And its political variants, libtard and republitard.
A favorite of mine is 'asshat'.

Jerseygirl Apr 10th 2008 7:03 pm

I find it offensive. My daughter at one point started to use the word retarded when she was at high school...I soon put her right. :frown::thumbdown:

britvic Apr 10th 2008 7:04 pm

Retarded.

My OH does use the word Retard and I tend to say f**king something something :curse: He is not slagging off some person with disabilities by the way.

basementwaj Apr 10th 2008 7:08 pm

i like the shorter version... "you are such a TARD" for example

mellybrown Apr 10th 2008 7:10 pm

My sister says retard back in the UK (poss a common thing with 17 year olds) and it really bothered me...my aunty has severe learning disabilities and i worked as a carer for adults with learning disabilities.......however here in the us it doesnt seem to bother me when people say it so much, personally I say stuff is gay (my lesbian friend yesterday told me that electricity does not have a sexuality when i was slagging off Georgia Power..................)

I guess I define some kind of difference to being offensive and just using a work...hmmm that doesnt make much sense but i know what i mean.....

another bloody yank Apr 10th 2008 7:14 pm

I think literally, according to it's definition, it's the proper term for some types of mental disabilities. Some people have decided it's offensive and substitute phrases like "Mentally Challenged" which I find inaccurate and misleading.

Octang Frye Apr 10th 2008 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6189929)
My sister says retard back in the UK (poss a common thing with 17 year olds) and it really bothered me...my aunty has severe learning disabilities and i worked as a carer for adults with learning disabilities.......however here in the us it doesnt seem to bother me when people say it so much, personally I say stuff is gay (my lesbian friend yesterday told me that electricity does not have a sexuality when i was slagging off Georgia Power..................)

I guess I define some kind of difference to being offensive and just using a work...hmmm that doesnt make much sense but i know what i mean.....

I do find the word 'retarded' somewhat offensive. There's also, "he rides the short bus".
Back home, we used to call people a Benny, or a Joey. I don't know where Benny came from. Possibly Crossroads?
Joey was from Joey Deacon, a nice guy with some disabilities. Used to see him a lot on Blue Peter.
His shoe fell off a ship once.
There was also 'spaz', a contraction of spastic. That's a nasty sounding word.

And Melly, I think the word you're trying to use is "ghey". There's a slight pause before you say the 'g'. Typical usage would be "Dallas Cowboys are teh ghey." - Note deliberate misspelling of 'the'.

"Georgia Power has caught teh ghey."

www.urbandictionary.com
(So you can catch up on the latest lexicon. Tonight's homework: Dirty Sanchez, Snowball, and Donkey Punch.)

mellybrown Apr 10th 2008 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by Octang Frye (Post 6189967)
I do find the word 'retarded' somewhat offensive. There's also, "he rides the short bus".
Back home, we used to call people a Benny, or a Joey. I don't know where Benny came from. Possibly Crossroads?
Joey was from Joey Deacon, a nice guy with some disabilities. Used to see him a lot on Blue Peter.
His shoe fell off a ship once.
There was also 'spaz', a contraction of spastic. That's a nasty sounding word.

And Melly, I think the word you're trying to use is "ghey". There's a slight pause before you say the 'g'. Typical usage would be "Dallas Cowboys are teh ghey." - Note deliberate misspelling of 'the'.

"Georgia Power has caught teh ghey."

www.urbandictionary.com
(So you can catch up on the latest lexicon. Tonight's homework: Dirty Sanchez, Snowball, and Donkey Punch.)

Yes GHEY is the word!! You have to love urban dictionary!!!

TruBrit Apr 10th 2008 7:58 pm

Retarded.

no, i've never used the word and don't intend to....it's not nice and very offensive imo.

Hiro11 Apr 10th 2008 8:25 pm

Sofa king we Todd did.

JEM3110 Apr 10th 2008 8:27 pm

I prefer - "One McNugget short of a Happy Meal"

mellybrown Apr 10th 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by JEM3110 (Post 6190221)
I prefer - "One McNugget short of a Happy Meal"

or one sandwich short of a picnic :rofl: