Reload this Page >

OT (totally OT) - Junk Mail

OT (totally OT) - Junk Mail

Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

JuMu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT (totally OT) - Junk Mail

Hi,

I've found this in another Newsgroup and thought for sure it is worth that more people follow this guy's example:

Have fun with your junk mail

"
On that note, whenever I get junk mail with a return envelope, I tear any personal info off the letter/credit card application/miracle offer and stuff it all back into the envelope. I also include other junk mail such as pizza coupons and laser hair removal discounts. They only have to pay postage on the return envelopes if they get mailed back.
I think I could start a silent revolution with this idea. I figure that the offending company is calculating that the small percentage of returns they get back are virtually all guaranteed business so that makes it worthwhile. If a large portion of those returns were junk it would make it less profitable for them to send out mass mailings. If everyone did this, they would give up mailing their crap out.

It gives me great pleasure doing this and I have a feeling it must give the poor sod who opens countless envelopes a bit of a smirk break to get oil change coupons and "winning lotto numbers" in the return mail. Try it, it is free and it turns the task of getting rid of the mess of paper back over the the people who created it.

"
Old Apr 25th 2003, 5:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT (totally OT) - Junk Mail

Originally posted by JuMu
Hi,

I've found this in another Newsgroup and thought for sure it is worth that more people follow this guy's example:

Have fun with your junk mail
Sorry to rain on your parade, JuMu (revenge is fun), but a good way to stop the junk mail AND save resources is to get off the lists. People newly applying for credit or filing a change of address form with our very own Postal Service will find their junk mail spikes. Here's how to opt out:

Contacting the Direct Marketing Association

The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) can provide information about opting out of lists produced by companies that subscribe to their Mail and Telephone Preference Services. Contact the DMA at the following addresses:

Direct Marketing Association
Mail Preference Service
P.O. Box 643
Carmel, NY 10512

Direct Marketing Association
Telephone Preference Service
P.O. Box 1559
Carmel, NY 10512

Include the following information with your request:

First, middle, and last names (including Jr., Sr., III)
Current address
Home area code and telephone number (only for Telephone Preference Service)
Old Apr 25th 2003, 1:31 pm

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT (totally OT) - Junk Mail

Originally posted by meauxna
Sorry to rain on your parade, JuMu (revenge is fun), but a good way to stop the junk mail AND save resources is to get off the lists. People newly applying for credit or filing a change of address form with our very own Postal Service will find their junk mail spikes. Here's how to opt out:
But that takes all the fun out of the revenge!!!! Hehehe!!! I once knew someone who collected all the junk mail he received throughout the month, chose a random "junk mail sender", and sent all of it to them without putting postage on it. Stooping to the junk mailer's level, I know, but he really looked forward to that every month!!!
Kate. xxxxx
Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

bobzy is an unknown quantity at this point

PAYING the DMA to put you on a don't-bother-me list will NOT get you off of lists. People who mail true junk -- snail or spam - tend not to be members of an organization that polices its industry.

Also keep in mind that the DMA is pro-spam when it comes to lobbying for anti-spam laws.

You are not limited to pizza coupons and such in the return envelope. The junk mailer guarantees to pay for the envelope, no matter the weight. Sheet metal is a good investment if you like to get even.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 4:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bobzy
PAYING the DMA to put you on a don't-bother-me list will NOT get you off of lists. People who mail true junk -- snail or spam - tend not to be members of an organization that polices its industry.

Also keep in mind that the DMA is pro-spam when it comes to lobbying for anti-spam laws.

You are not limited to pizza coupons and such in the return envelope. The junk mailer guarantees to pay for the envelope, no matter the weight. Sheet metal is a good investment if you like to get even.
Who said anything about *paying*? Ack. Never. Writing the DMA *does* get you off lists; my mail box is a testiment. Equifax and the other 2 big credit agencies also have addresses to write and get yourself off their mailing lists, which will vastly reduce the pre-approved credit offers from coming through. It's a stupid system; everyone of those 'offers' represents a hit on your credit report, which actually lowers your credit score. Pffft on all of them, and I'm in marketing!
Old Apr 26th 2003, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

JuMu is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bobzy
Nice idea !!!

I doubt the DMA could prevent me getting junk from organizations I already do business with or whos customer I already am.
AmEx for example tries about 2 times a year to hook me up for a more expensive credit card.
Then there's these countless non-personal letters to 'Resident ....'.
And yes! The fun factor
To make sure none of the valuable objects u send in the envelopes get lost I would recommend to seal them with several layers of tape

new-born junk-mail-fan
JuMu