Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Shipping from Australia to US

OT: Shipping from Australia to US

Old Jul 1st 2002, 5:20 am
Andrew

Default OT: Shipping from Australia to US

Has anyone had experience shipping all their worldly possessions to the US from
Australia? I'll be moving near the end of the year if all goes well, and I was hoping
someone out there would have advice on a good moving company to use, costs etc. I
have a few fragile items like framed prints and an electric guitar too, so if you
have any experience with shipping items like this, please let me know. I've heard for
the guitar I can use a flight case, although I'd be reluctant to take that with me as
luggage and would prefer shipping with my other stuff. Any advice in this regard?

Cheers, Andrew

Old Jul 1st 2002, 10:20 am
Lidiam

Default Re: Shipping from Australia to US

Which state are you shipping from and how many boxes/chests do you have to ship?

"Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Has anyone had experience shipping all their worldly possessions to the US from
    > Australia? I'll be moving near the end of the year if all goes well, and I was
    > hoping someone out there would have advice on a good moving company to use, costs
    > etc. I have a few fragile items like framed prints and an electric guitar too, so
    > if you have any experience with shipping items like this, please let me know. I've
    > heard for the guitar I can use a flight case, although I'd be reluctant to take
    > that with me as luggage and would prefer shipping with my other stuff. Any advice
    > in this regard?
    >
    > Cheers, Andrew

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 2:20 am
Andrew

I'll be shipping from SA. I imagine there will be at least 6 or 7 large boxes,
possibly more (I'll be sending a lot of books, computer stuff etc).

"LidiaM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Which state are you shipping from and how many boxes/chests do you have to ship?
    >
    >
    >
    > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Has anyone had experience shipping all their worldly possessions to the US from
    > > Australia? I'll be moving near the end of the year if all goes well, and I was
    > > hoping someone out there would have advice on a good moving company to use, costs
    > > etc. I have a few fragile items like framed prints and an electric guitar too, so
    > > if you have any experience with shipping items like this, please let me know.
    > > I've heard for the guitar I can use a flight case, although I'd be reluctant to
    > > take that with me as luggage and would prefer shipping with my other stuff. Any
    > > advice in this regard?
    > >
    > > Cheers, Andrew

Old Jul 2nd 2002, 3:20 am
Lidiam

It's probably a good idea to yank out the yellow pages and call around some local
frieght companies that have some experince in this sort of stuff.

I'm from Melbourne and I'll be shipping a small amount of stuff through a local
freight company. I am pretty sure that's what most Aussies have had to
do. Sorry I couldn't be of any specific help - but just so you know, it's about
800-1000 bucks to have it sea shipped.

> I'll be shipping from SA. I imagine there will be at least 6 or 7 large boxes,
    > possibly more (I'll be sending a lot of books, computer stuff etc).
    >
    > "LidiaM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Which state are you shipping from and how many boxes/chests do you have
to
    > > ship?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Has anyone had experience shipping all their worldly possessions to the US from
    > > > Australia? I'll be moving near the end of the year if all goes well, and I was
    > > > hoping someone out there would have advice on a good moving company to use,
    > > > costs etc. I have a few fragile items like framed prints and an electric guitar
    > > > too, so if you have any experience with shipping items like this, please let me
    > > > know. I've heard for the guitar I can use a flight case, although I'd be
    > > > reluctant to take that with me as luggage and would prefer shipping with my
    > > > other stuff. Any advice in this regard?
    > > >
    > > > Cheers, Andrew

Old Jul 3rd 2002, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future
Default Re: OT: Shipping from Australia to US

Andrew, I'm in the process of investigating shipping options from SA myself for my wife. Same deal, boxes paintings etc....I've got a call into an expat from SA who runs a shipping biz here in the states and if you like, I'll let you know what I find out. Where in SA will you be shipping from? If it's Jo'burg maybe the guy can package a deal.....Jerry
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

jcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant futurejcsutton has a brilliant future
Default Re: OT: Shipping from Australia to US

I forgot to ask. When you said SA, did you mean South Africa?? If not, you may disregard my reply......
Old Jul 3rd 2002, 4:20 pm
Mac

> Has anyone had experience shipping all their worldly possessions to the US from
    > Australia? I'll be moving near the end of the year if all goes well, and I was
    > hoping someone out there would have advice on a good moving company to use, costs
    > etc. I have a few fragile items like framed prints and an electric guitar too, so
    > if you have any experience with shipping items like this, please let me know. I've
    > heard for the guitar I can use a flight case, although I'd be reluctant to take
    > that with me as luggage and would prefer shipping with my other stuff. Any advice
    > in this regard?
    >
    > Cheers, Andrew

I only recently moved to the states (end of April) from Perth and managed to ship all
my boxes through Allied Pickfords. In total i had 19 items, which included 11 boxes
of clothes, shoes, pots and pans etc. Another 4 boxes of books (im a pack-rat) and a
few smaller packages of framed works. They estimated 16 weeks on delivery from door
to door and all up it set me back (including insurance to the value of $6000)
$1543.50 including GST. From what ive seen posted around, this was one of the more
expensive routes - but after talking to both the shipping company and australia post
(you can also send your boxes through the airlines as unaccompanied baggage which
works out fairly cheaply - from memory i think it was around $8 per kilo? But you
have to arrange delivery and pickup) it seemed safer to pay the extra and send it
through allied. If you send your goods as unaccompanied baggage you can run the risk
of having it all stopped at customs and then paying extra (from what i understand) -
of course they can still stop your goods when you ship through allied pickfords (or
any other company) but all the paperwork is filled out to try and avoid this.

I have moved from state to state in Australia many times and my family has always
used Allied Pickfords, other than a few small mishaps we have had no issues with them
whatsoever....heres hoping all my stuff arrives soon

Good luck with your move!

Cheers,

Mac.