Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT/ Selective Service U.S ARMY

OT/ Selective Service U.S ARMY

Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:20 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of
Default Re: OT/ Selective Service U.S ARMY

Originally Posted by Maggs
HI

My son had his letter sent to him also without registering for it. He was 19 when he received his letter. It was shortly after he got his EAD and SSN and driving license. I wondered if it was an automatic thing on getting a SSN maybe or like you say when you passed your driving test?

Maggie
just thought I'd share my situation...
I came to the U.S on a J-1 visa which is one of the categories that don't need to sign up with SS. I have obviously got a SSN and have also obtained a U.S drivers license in the time I have been here thus far, and I have not been registered automatically.

I am adjusting my status through marriage come January next year, and will be turning 26 beginning of February, my current J-1 status expires expires end of January. Now if there was a lapse of 30 days between the time my
J-1 VISA status expires and when I turn 26 years old and was still residing in the United States, I would then be required to register with Selective Service System.

So I just 'dodge the bullet' so to speak
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:35 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
This is absolutely not true. With only a few exceptions *all* foreign nationals are required to sign up for selective service if they fit the criteria. http://www.sss.gov/FSwho.htm.

Oh, so you enjoy being a parasite?

Ian

Ian

Everyone is entitled to their opinions but because someone wants to live in the US but not become a US Citizen, does not make them a parasite. If they live here legally and work, they pay taxes as do US citizens.

Me thinks, you owe this poster an apology.

Rete
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:39 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evanio1978
Foreign nationals living in the United States cannot be drafted into the US Army under any circumstance.

However if you have US Citizenship it's another story.

I for one will never get US Citizenship but love living in the US.

As Ian stated, your thoughts are incorrect. All aliens, legal or illegal, with the exception of those listed under the Selective Service Guidelines MUST register if they are under the age of 26.

I'm glad that you enjoy living here but sorry that you feel that you would not like to be an active participant of a country you love living in. No one will force you at this time to become a USC but who knows what Congress will make into law in the future. There might one day come a time when a PR is required to become a USC after x number of years of legal residency or be removed from the US.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:40 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggs
HI

My son had his letter sent to him also without registering for it. He was 19 when he received his letter. It was shortly after he got his EAD and SSN and driving license. I wondered if it was an automatic thing on getting a SSN maybe or like you say when you passed your driving test?

When we had our interview for our IR1/2 the Consular Officer said he shouldn't have received a selective service letter until he becasme a permanent resident. It seems that it's different from state to state.

Maggie
I'm confused about this too. I've heard/read somewhere that AOS applicants have to register, but the SSA site only refers to permanent residens.

DAK the exact rules? Does my son (AOS applicant) have to register now, or only once/if he becomes a PR?

Please don't say 'do it anyway just to be on the safe side' - this is a very 'difficult' issue...
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:44 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira
Please don't say 'do it anyway just to be on the safe side' - this is a very 'difficult' issue...
Darn, that was going to be my advice. I'd rather be safe than sorry so that it won't inhibit my citizenship when the time comes. Unfortunately, I don't know the correct answer.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:54 pm
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

I might become a parasite then, because I don't think I can have dual citizenship
Old Sep 27th 2005, 3:57 pm
Concierge

It is my understanding he has to do it now. He is pending adjustment and in legal status. But you want to be 100% sure? Call the Selective Service and ask them outright.

I'm confused about this too. I've heard/read somewhere that AOS applicants have to register, but the SSA site only refers to permanent residens.

DAK the exact rules? Does my son (AOS applicant) have to register now, or only once/if he becomes a PR?

Old Sep 27th 2005, 4:06 pm
THE Member

Seanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud ofSeanus has much to be proud of

Hi Elvira,

It would depend what category visa he is/has come to the U.S on even before he gets his PR status, and if he is under the age of 26, then yes, he would have to register. But ultimately no matter what category visa he arrived with, once he is a PR and if he is still under the age of 26 he will have to register!
*hope that helps*

~Sean~
Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:18 pm
Mummy and baby 1982

Maggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond reputeMaggs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I'm not sure what the correct answer is I'm afraid as it wasn't an issue after my son automatically received his registration letter. I hope you figure it out.

Maggie

Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

Aliluv is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband was automatically registered. We adjusted through the Los Angeles office not sure if that is what made the difference.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 6:36 pm
THE Member

Originally Posted by Aliluv
My husband was automatically registered. We adjusted through the Los Angeles office not sure if that is what made the difference.

It appears that some people are automatically registered and others aren't. I think by reading the guidelines on the SS website one can see whether or not they are required register. I was uncertain myself, so I emailed them and got a response on the same day which answered all my questions. I believe there helpline number to be very helpful and their representitives are very 'clued up' unlike the USCIS helpline.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:09 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

This is on the last page of the I-485:

"SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION. The following applies to you if you are a male at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old,
who is required to register with the Selective Service System: "I understand that my filing this adjustment of status application with the
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services authorizes USCIS to provide certain registration information to the Selective Service System in
accordance with the Military Selective Service Act. Upon USCIS acceptance of my application, I authorize USCIS to transmit to the
Selective Service System my name, current address, Social Security Number, date of birth and the date I filed the application for the
purpose of recording my Selective Service registration as of the filing date. If, however, USCIS does not accept my application, I further
understand that, if so required, I am responsible for registering with the Selective Service by other means, provided I have not yet reached
age 26."

Wouldn't that be a sort of "automatic registration"?
Old Sep 27th 2005, 8:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
This is on the last page of the I-485:

"SELECTIVE SERVICE REGISTRATION. The following applies to you if you are a male at least 18 years old, but not yet 26 years old,
who is required to register with the Selective Service System: "I understand that my filing this adjustment of status application with the
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services authorizes USCIS to provide certain registration information to the Selective Service System in
accordance with the Military Selective Service Act. Upon USCIS acceptance of my application, I authorize USCIS to transmit to the
Selective Service System my name, current address, Social Security Number, date of birth and the date I filed the application for the
purpose of recording my Selective Service registration as of the filing date. If, however, USCIS does not accept my application, I further
understand that, if so required, I am responsible for registering with the Selective Service by other means, provided I have not yet reached
age 26."

Wouldn't that be a sort of "automatic registration"?

That's how I would interpret it - thanks!!