Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT - Last Will and Testament

OT - Last Will and Testament

Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT - Last Will and Testament

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree Bob .. you need a separate will for assets in another country ...
I had both a UK and US lawyer advise that.....

I had my wife as main executor and two others in each country
if we died at the same time ...

Also ensure the executors are younger than yourself ..
or they may clog it before you and you need a fresh will or have to add
a codicill
Same here - though I admit I feel somewhat uncomfortable. We have 'proper' wills in the UK but only 'homemade' ones in the US. Just never got around to consulting a lawyer here.

Should really get that done... but I'm the world's biggest procrastinator when it comes to wills and taxes.

Taxes...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Same here - though I admit I feel somewhat uncomfortable. We have 'proper' wills in the UK but only 'homemade' ones in the US. Just never got around to consulting a lawyer here.

Should really get that done... but I'm the world's biggest procrastinator when it comes to wills and taxes.

Taxes...
Oh yeah... taxes. Joy and happiness.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: OT - Last Will and Testament

Originally Posted by Tracym
Oh yeah... taxes. Joy and happiness.
Now as for the IRS vs HM Inland Revenue...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:44 pm
Mrs. Yank

Petra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to allPetra is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree Bob .. you need a separate will for assets in another country ...
I had both a UK and US lawyer advise that.....

I had my wife as main executor and two others in each country
if we died at the same time ...

Also ensure the executors are younger than yourself ..
or they may clog it before you and you need a fresh will or have to add
a codicill
That would be Holland then, in my case *S*
I'm just visiting with all y'all Britons (how's my Southern coming?)

I am VERY surprised to hear about having wills in each country.
Even though now that I think about it for a minute, it does make sense!

Who keeps the will over there, then? I mean...
Once I write it here, then what? Who to send it to, to make it legal?

Boy, I knew this was going to be complicated *S*
Questions, questions, questions...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 6:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Petra
That would be Holland then, in my case *S*
I'm just visiting with all y'all Britons (how's my Southern coming?)

I am VERY surprised to hear about having wills in each country.
Even though now that I think about it for a minute, it does make sense!

Boy, I knew this was going to be complicated *S*
Questions, questions, questions...
Whover you like ...My mum has my UK one ...
I have mine here ...
Old Mar 27th 2007, 8:59 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't know about holland...but I've got mine kept in my bank in blighty, £10 a year to keep bits and pieces in the branch safe, in event of me carping it, they know who to give it to, and I've told the missus and my mother that that's where it is kept...exec is a law firm, just in case the family solicitor bloke carps it or retires.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 11:54 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What about leaving the task of executor to the church preacher?
This was very popular in the middle ages. Indeed, that's how the church came into so much of its money! Personally, I wouldn't trust anyone associated with the church to carry out the duties of an executor.

Ian