Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! :)

OT: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! :)

Old Nov 29th 2002, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point

Tara, from another veggie, thank you! That's amazing.. although it's too late for this year (we made a soya protein sheapard's pie), I'll have to save that for next year... Poor Greg had to put up with more "so, you're from England... my wife's sisters cousins friend is from England", etc etc. again, but I think he thinks I'm worth it.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rete
What is black friday?

Rete,
Sorry, I thought the expresion was nationwide, however Jenny has explained what it is and I asked around at work and it seems it's a local state expression. Apparently it's also known around the US as
Blitz Friday, whereby the stores offer some goods at massive discounts to get customers in. In the UK this happens on Boxing Day.
A little piece of history for anyone who's interested !!!
The reason it's called Black Friday is that many shops traded in the "red" for a lot of the year, however they made so much money on the day after Thanksgiving that it balanced their books and put them in the Black.
Another useless piece of information, our store alone took over
$1,000,000 today. Mulitply that by 4,000 stores. A nice days trading.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 3:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Okay Roger

To me "Black Friday" was the day the stock market crashed and started the depression. Had hoped this was NOT what you were referring to.

Don't recall anyone here in New York giving it a name per se. Only calling it the largest volume buying/selling day of the year. I did not go into any stores today.

Rete

Originally posted by rogerpenycate
Rete,
Sorry, I thought the expresion was nationwide, however Jenny has explained what it is and I asked around at work and it seems it's a local state expression. Apparently it's also known around the US as
Blitz Friday, whereby the stores offer some goods at massive discounts to get customers in. In the UK this happens on Boxing Day.
A little piece of history for anyone who's interested !!!
The reason it's called Black Friday is that many shops traded in the "red" for a lot of the year, however they made so much money on the day after Thanksgiving that it balanced their books and put them in the Black.
Another useless piece of information, our store alone took over
$1,000,000 today. Mulitply that by 4,000 stores. A nice days trading.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 3:54 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Rete,
Sorry, I thought the expresion was nationwide, however Jenny has explained what it is and I asked around at work and it seems it's a local state expression.
Hey Roger -- isn't it time you changed your profile to read "Moved to Virginia" instead of "Moving to Virginia"!?! You're a transplant, now!!

~ Jenney
Old Nov 30th 2002, 4:18 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jenney & Mark
Hey Roger -- isn't it time you changed your profile to read "Moved to Virginia" instead of "Moving to Virginia"!?! You're a transplant, now!!

~ Jenney
LOL Perhaps his roots haven't taken hold yet ;-) Since he is still job hunting for a position in his chosen field, prehaps it should say Willing to Move From Virginia ;-)
Old Nov 30th 2002, 5:01 am
mca
Forum Regular

mca is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, I thought the expresion was nationwide, however Jenny has explained what it is and I asked around at work and it seems it's a local state expression. Apparently it's also known around the US as Blitz Friday
"Black Friday" is used in Kansas as well. I also thought it was a term used nationally.
Old Nov 30th 2002, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rete
LOL Perhaps his roots haven't taken hold yet ;-) Since he is still job hunting for a position in his chosen field, prehaps it should say Willing to Move From Virginia ;-)

Correct Rete,
The first line of my resume says "Am willing to relocate for the appropriate position"
Although not strictly true, I was offered a job in Maine as a Festival Director, but the money wasn't enough and my wife didn't want to move there
Old Nov 30th 2002, 9:54 pm
Concierge

Correct Rete,
The first line of my resume says "Am willing to relocate for the appropriate position"
Although not strictly true, I was offered a job in Maine as a Festival Director, but the money wasn't enough and my wife didn't want to move there
It is so warm and sunny in Maine this time of the year Roger. NOT!!!

Houlton, Maine was -3 yesterday.

Actually my girlfriend's daughter is Festival Director for Mt. Stowe, Vermont. Good position. If she ever decides to leave, (she has Crone's disease) will let you know.

Rete
Old Nov 27th 2003, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tara is an unknown quantity at this point
Default OT: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! :)

Just finished a "from scratchZ" pumpkin/tofu creme piemwith golden crust and maple crust leaves embellishing it. Also fresh cranberry-ginger sauce.

and a new haiku:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
Fall Haiku

bleached grass
all the green has gone
back to the sun
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Best wishes, tara and debabrata
Old Nov 27th 2003, 9:29 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Moan, Moan, Moan, bloody Moan.
I had to work today from 2-11 Moan, Moan and Moan........
and tomorrow (Black Friday) Moan, Moan, Moan........
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :0)

Sigh, I have to work also today at the part time job, 7am-1pm..
But I am thankful.
I am thankful that my 77 (almost 78) year old mother drove 300 miles to be here today, my best friend and her husband are driving 300 miles today to take us out to dinner as soon as I get off work (note Secret Garden we're going to a place called the Pink House, lol!! ), my only child will NOT be here today because he's working, but he has A job, and most of all I am thankful that for the first time in our married life (going on 4 years) my husband is here with me.
Wishing all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and a time to reflect upon the good things in your lives.
Old Nov 27th 2003, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dekka's Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stevelisaw
rofl.....Rita it's the biggest shopping day of the year and he works for WalMart if I remember correctly!!
Derek has to be at work at 7:00 AM tomorrow, for just this reason. He believes that it is nothing short of the work of the devil himself.

My poor baby
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Susanna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: OT: Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!! :)

~ Jenney

And now..... a poem emailed to me by a friend this morning:

TWAS THE NIGHT OF THANKSGIVING
(Anonymous)

Twas the night of thanksgiving, i just couldn't sleep,
I tried counting backwards, i tried counting sheep.
The leftovers beckoned - the dark meat andwhite,
But i fought the temptation with all of my might.

Tossing and turning with anticipation,
The thought of a snack became infatuation.
So, i raced to the kitchen, flung open the door,
And gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore.

I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes,
Pickles and carrots, beans and tomatoes.
I felt myself swelling so plump and so round,
'Til all of a sudden, i rose off the ground.

I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky,
With a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie.
But i managed to yell as i soared past the trees,
Happy eating to all - pass the cranberries, please.

May your stuffing be tasty, may your turkey be plump.
May your potatoes 'n gravy have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious, may your pies take the prize,
May your thanksgiving dinner stay off of your thighs!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! [/QUOTE]

Thanks Guys for all your support over the past weeks God Bless you all and may all your Dreams and Wish's come true.
Anyone know how long a 20pound turkey takes to cook lol.
Have a good one.
Susanna and Joey
Old Nov 27th 2003, 4:54 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all, whether you're together or apart.

Best wishes

Tam & Bruce

Together for our FIRST Thanksgiving and giving many thanks for it.

Here's to many more!
Old Nov 27th 2003, 5:56 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Wow -- I came here to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving, and was surprised to see my post from last year resurrected!

This year will be even more special for me, because unlike last year, I am able to spend it with Mark, who is now my amazing husband.

Mark is excited about his first ever Thanksgiving, particularly the food bit, even though my sister-in-law is making a very untraditional chicken cordon bleu instead of turkey, and despite his reservations about eating my sweet potatoes-with-marshmallows-on-top casserole.

Best wishes to all of you on this wonderful day. If you are spending your first Thanksgiving together, truly take time to enjoy and appreciate it. And if you are still apart, just know that most likely you will be spending it together next year, and it will be worth waiting for.

~ Jenney (and Mark)
Old Nov 27th 2003, 11:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I didn't notice until almost the end that this post was from last year!! Regardless....to Jenny & Mark, and all the other wonderful NG-ers....

Happy Thanksgiving!!! :-))

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.