Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Good News, Bad News

OT: Good News, Bad News

Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:16 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT: Good News, Bad News

Fantastics news about the baby! Congratulations to them and you on this wonderful news.

As for the boards, you will be missed.

I think your straight forward and brusk manner is a breath of fresh air, sometimes people need the reality check that they get from your advice.

Don't stay away for too long.

Thanks for your help (and that goes to all the people who help out on the boards!)
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Ian, congrats on the baby; very exciting, especially when she's so wanted.

On the other, it's almost as if you've been reading over my shoulder.. I've expressed much the same lately and so I understand where you're coming from. The DIY ethos of the old days has definitely changed, and people often look at websites only as information services that someone set up just for their benefit. While I don't miss that breathless, incessant posting of the middle days (and some pretty weird overshares) it was certainly underscored yesterday in looking for experience posts.. people just don't document all their steps anymore. Maybe it's because it's all written down now and the need is gone.

Don't stay far away, brother. And say 'hi' every now and again.
xx
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ja5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of lightJa5on is a glorious beacon of light

congrats on the family news sorry that i've probably been part of the problem, some of your posts have pissed me off a little but they are normaly what i need to be told........i was just thinking of starting a "what should i take to my interview thread" maybe i'll search for it instead
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of lightjeepgirluk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Ja5on
congrats on the family news sorry that i've probably been part of the problem, some of your posts have pissed me off a little but they are normaly what i need to be told........i was just thinking of starting a "what should i take to my interview thread" maybe i'll search for it instead
Please do give it a try... the search that is... YouWantFriesWithThat has a great post on it.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 6:33 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

congrats on the new Granddaughter!!!!!

that you won't be posting much anymore - Personally I don't really post about immigration as I know next to nothing about it, All I know is how we got here (and I don't know much about that as we used the co. lawyer) anyway as the old saying goes "the truth hurts" and its a shame more people can't just accept the truth and take responsiblity for their own actions...

Hang on a minute - But isn't that the society we are now living in!!

Take care, and take some time away to spend with baby Sarah
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Many, many congratulations on the new baby grand daughter

You'll be missed ....
Old Mar 9th 2010, 9:10 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Ian,
Please allow me to congratulate the whole family on its newest member. Sometimes the best things come in small, squirmy packages!

I'm sorry to hear about the decision that you've made; there are times when I have felt the same way---you post a link and it is blatantly obvious two pages in that the OP hasn't bothered to read any of the information you have led them directly to. One can only do so much, and I completely understand how you feel about this.

On a personal level I'd like to thank you for all the constructive information and support you've given to Mr. P and I over the last eight years---I have never thought of you as a sanctimonious prick, but as a genuinely intelligent man who tells it like it is, and with whom you always know where you stand. My kinda guy.

XOXO,
~SecretGarden
~and Mr. Pink
Old Mar 9th 2010, 11:46 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, and good luck to you, you old dog. I'll take up the attitude where you left off, if you have no objections?
Old Mar 10th 2010, 2:07 pm
Questy Questionson

agentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond reputeagentpeppermint has a reputation beyond repute

Ian! Congrats on the new little one in your lives! What a blessing you have shared with us!

As for leaving, I know where youre coming from, from being parts of other boards with different histories. I am sure I am one of the few who has irked your nerve a time or two, but it should be said you are a priceless addition to BE and your input ( whether it be humorous or not ) will be greatly missed. For whatever twat called you a liar, shame on them!

Anyways, THANK YOU IAN for being a part of BE and the enormous significance your advice played in my k-1 path.

xoxo
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

OMG - Ian, I’m going to miss you ... your posts, terribly!

Do very much hope to see you on here again in the not too distant future.

And I just simply luv this post in particular.

I could not all have said it any better.

Take care and congrats on this newest addition and blessing to your family.

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Over the past few months I've noticed a new generation of posters in the forums... posters who prefer to live on the edge of immigration rules and who prefer to advocate the “who’s going to know” or "do as I do" philosophy - or, even better, "you first, then me". I believe this is dangerous and I just don't care for the endless debate that comes with trying to amend their thought process.

In 1997, when I started the K-1 process, there was almost no information available online - indeed "online" was still a new concept for many. There were no INS updates, no opportunity to email anyone, no opportunity to download forms (yes, you had to call INS and have them mail the forms to you), no such thing as InfoPass... and the list goes on. A few tried to help by setting up web sites (hi Alvena and Doc Steen... wherever you are) only to be told later that such web sites border on UPL (look it up for yourself if you don't understand (see “spoonfeeding” below)) and to proceed at their own risk. Indeed, Alvena was threatened by the Kentucky Bar Association with legal action if she didn’t “cease and desist.”

To help combat this, the UseNet newsgroup alt.visa.us was severed and a new newsgroup was formed: alt.visa.us.marriage-based. That new newsgroup was eventually ported to BE and is now this forum. So… for the ass who sent a PM calling me a liar because I’ve been a member of BE since 2002 but claimed to have been following the newsgroup for 13 years – now you know. Your own ignorance, or stupidity, or laziness is to blame – the information is out there, all you had to do was a bit of research on your own. And on that topic...

I've had enough of spoonfeeding people who are either too stupid or too lazy (or both) to use the search functions, or to read the links that people post for them, or any number of others things that says to the world "I am a mature individual, and I will take responsibility for my own research."

I have had enough of people who shoot the messenger because 5 years ago they were stupid and committed a crime (although they'll admit that getting caught was really the only stupid bit) and now don't seem to understand that... yes, this will affect your immigration journey. I would prefer that such people stand up and proclaim, “I am a mature individual, and I will take responsibility for my own actions”… but that rarely happens. Those people would rather minimize the incident and then live on the edge and see what they can “get away with”. They fully believe that US immigration law doesn’t apply to them because they are British (or any other nationality for that matter)!

I’ve had enough of people who don't want to hear the truth... but prefer instead to hear only those comments that support their position - and the rest be damned. Those same people then complain that posters here are rude and mean because they’ve said things that don’t support their perfect fantasy! Those people are simply immature children regardless of their actual age.

I’ve had enough of people who prefer to take, as absolute fact, information posted on a web site to the complete disregard of those who have actually been through the process and who actually know the pitfalls, danger spots, and other red flags that might give them a bit of trouble. You people – you know who you are – you don’t want information; you want guarantees… and there are none. You’d prefer to argue rather than hear the truth.
Old Mar 10th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

mrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nicemrsvic is just really nice

Congratulations to you and your family on the new addition, i'm sure she will bring you loads of happiness.

Although i dont post much, i can tell from reading many of the posts on this site, that you have been an invaluable member with your constructive input. I'm sure you will be sorely missed by most members

Thanks for all advice given to me in the past
Best Wishes
Old Mar 10th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your new grand-baby, Ian.
Blessings from Patricia and me
Old Mar 10th 2010, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

cosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to allcosmicjunkie is a name known to all

What lovely news for you and your family. I'm sure this little babe will bring so much happiness to everyone I'm sorry that you are feeling the way you do about the forum, but don't think that all the new people posting are the way you descibed. I for one am very grateful for all the people who contribute to this website. I count myself lucky in finding a forum which is such a rich font of information. Thankyou...
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

janadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond reputejanadeen has a reputation beyond repute

I'll venture to say - I don't think he believes that literally alllll new posters take to this line of thinking.

Just more that there's a wave of folks who, more and more, seem to cotton to this sort of approach to the USCIS systems.

I wholeheartedly agree with him.

Originally Posted by cosmicjunkie
What lovely news for you and your family. I'm sure this little babe will bring so much happiness to everyone I'm sorry that you are feeling the way you do about the forum, but don't think that all the new people posting are the way you descibed. I for one am very grateful for all the people who contribute to this website. I count myself lucky in finding a forum which is such a rich font of information. Thankyou...
Old Mar 10th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Shanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really niceShanh is just really nice

Congratulations on the new addition to the family

I understand your need to back away and it is very sad it has come to that.

Take care

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.