Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: God's Sense of Humour in NYC

OT: God's Sense of Humour in NYC

Old Aug 31st 2002, 12:24 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default OT: God's Sense of Humour in NYC

Yesterday morning, around 11 a.m., I guess the stress of being almost jobless was taking its toll and I became so very very depressed. I walked out of the office, went downstairs for a smoke and stood there thinking morbid thoughts and felt the tears start to well up. You know just having a wonderful little pity party for one.

From the corner of my left eye I caught sight of a "sight" walking in my direction. Now you have to use your imagination because I didn't have a camera with me

Walking boldly down the Avenue of the Americas was a black man of average height in his mid 40's. He was a little pauchy; definitely not a body builder. He worn a skin tight boxer brief in navy blue; tight enough to show the outline of his manhood, a pair of black shoes and black socks and a paid of long red opera length gloves. No other articles of clothing. But .... he had a tin foil crown on his head and around his chest, beauty pagent style, was draped an American flag caught on his left side with a bow and his black socks were adorned with furry collars with tangling furry pom-poms. In his left hand was a silver baton and he was struting down the street like a beauty queen, stopping once in a while to shake his booty.

Well New Yorkers have seen it all and no one gave this gentleman a second thought and walked passed him as if he were wearing the requisite business suit on a normal weekday. I burst out laughing and knew then and there that God has a wonderful sense of humour. Could you be depressed if you saw such a sight? Oh what a wonderful city I work in ;-)))
Old Aug 31st 2002, 1:23 pm
Strike

Default Re: OT: God's Sense of Humour in NYC

Hi! I'm actor Troy McClure. You may remember me from such threads as 'OT: God's
Sense of Humour in NYC' and 'Rete: tasty but deadly.'

>Walking boldly down the Avenue of the Americas was a black man of average height in
    >his mid 40's...

Believe it or not, I saw the same guy a couple of weekends ago, walking straight
up the middle of Broadway against the traffic as it swerved to avoid him... I
kid you not.

Cheers,

Marco

Old Aug 31st 2002, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

NYC is a great city! I couldn't agree more...

In fact, I was in NYC last Sept 8-11. I must have been one of the few who 'took in the last beauty of WTC I & II'.

Took the Liberty Cruise on the 8th. Had lunch in WTC on the 9th. Walked the streets of Broadway on the 10th. And all those days I cannot help marvelling at the beauty and living that goes on around me.

Would have left on the 10th evening when all planes were grounded. Took the first flight out on the 11th and landed in Ohare, with barely enough time to take a breather, when....well, 911 unfolded. As a non-USC, my heart 'bled'....

Anyway, what I meant to say is...the spirit of NY lives on and it's great to see how the city has bandied together in support of each other and all else.

Let's hope NYC, or America, for that matter, AND the whole world will get better and better in no time.

PS: Btw, I heard there is a memorial special happening on or near sep 11 this year. Can anyone tell me more? Or perhaps guide me to a link on the web? I'd like to plan a sidetrip to be in NYC for this special occasion. Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 2:04 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't if it is official but last month the papers reported that one of the memorial ceremonies was that representatives from the fire departments would march to ground zero from the five boroughs with bag pipes playing. There was mention of a special ceremony at the site. Each person is being asked to remember by having a moment of silence at the time each plane hit a building at the WTC, the Pentagon and in Pennsylvania and another moment of silent to mark the time each tower collapsed.

You can start checking the New York Daily News online as well as the New York Post.

Rete
Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:31 pm
Betastar

On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 12:24:48 +0000, Rete <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well New Yorkers have seen it all and no one gave this gentleman a second thought
    >and walked passed him as if he were wearing the requisite business suit on a normal
    >weekday. I burst out laughing and knew then and there that God has a wonderful
    >sense of humour. Could you be depressed if you saw such a sight? Oh what a
    >wonderful city I work in ;-)))

=))) Thank you for sharing!
Now Reinhard wants to go back even more!

(We'll be there at the end of Sept to see the Stones =)))

Betsy

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 4:37 am
Bob Norton

>gardencity [email protected] Date: 8/31/02 2:09 PM Eastern

>PS: Btw, I heard there is a memorial special happening on or near sep 11 this year.
    > Can anyone tell me more? Or perhaps guide me to a link on the web? I'd like to
    > plan a sidetrip to be in NYC for this special occasion. Thanks in advance.

There will be ceremonies at Ground Zero and at Battery Park in Manhattan on Sept. 11.

I130/K3 USC from NYC

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

gardencity is an unknown quantity at this point

Rete, Bob:

Thanks for your useful info on forthcoming 911 memorial at NYC.
Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:04 am
Rj

> >gardencity [email protected] Date: 8/31/02 2:09 PM Eastern
    > >PS: Btw, I heard there is a memorial special happening on or near sep 11 this
    > > year. Can anyone tell me more? Or perhaps guide me to a link on the web? I'd
    > > like to plan a sidetrip to be in NYC for this special occasion. Thanks in
    > > advance.

NYC web site is nyc.gov. Any pending public ceremonies will be described there in
detail. There is usually audio and video of events on the site as well, sometimes in
real time.

Bob Norton, NYC