Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT: Filing taxes in US for first time

OT: Filing taxes in US for first time

Old Feb 12th 2002, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Jeremy is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, I know this is kinda off topic, and that I won't be asking experts, but I'm just trying to figure out what we're doing.

I came from Canada on a K1. My arrival date in the US was May 1, 2001. All my Canadian source income was made while I was a Canadian resident and all my US income made while I was in the US. I was only granted conditional permanent residence on 01/16/02.

We are trying to figure out if we should be filing joint married and if we should file as me being a resident alien. Also, do I need to include my Canadian income when I file our US taxes? I'm reading conflicting things, and I even called the Canadian international tax office, but I'm not sure they even understood where I was coming from.

From what I understand I need to file my Canadian taxes as a non resident and include a copy of my W2 to prove to them I'm being taxed here in the US.

I'm starting to get a little frustrated at the tax systems (imagine that!) so I'd very grateful if people could post about their experiences and situations.

Thank you

Jeremy

Old Feb 12th 2002, 11:31 pm
Betastar

See what we did last year at: http://www.avenue1.com/taxinst.html

If you're not self-employed you can ignore those parts.

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 23:35:49 GMT, Jeremy <[email protected]> spake:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >