Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

OT Drivers lic California Question

OT Drivers lic California Question

Old Jun 25th 2002, 3:20 pm
Dabear?

Default OT Drivers lic California Question

what is required for California for a drivers lic and to register a out of Country
car ( Canada )

Old Jun 25th 2002, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OT Drivers lic California Question

Well you answered a question yesterday regarding the need for a compliance letter from the manufacturer of the vehicle for the Custom's Department at the POE. The CD will give you a paper that you will need to give to the DMV when you register the car. I assume Canada is the same as most States and insurance is required in order to register your vehicle.

I did a little quick look-see for you and immediately found the Department of Motor Vehicles site for the State of California. Here it is:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

Also since you are moving to CA, I assume that is where your fiancee lives as well. What does she say you need or what did she need to register her vehicle in the pass?

Rete
Old Jun 25th 2002, 6:20 pm
Dabear?

She doesn't really know, she did say a smog certificate is a must there. Otherwise
for a drivers lic. she said that i have to have a SSN. I am sending a letter to the
DMV asking them to send ma all info they have on this.

Rete wrote:

> Well you answered a question yesterday regarding the need for a compliance letter
    > from the manufacturer of the vehicle for the Custom's Department at the POE. The CD
    > will give you a paper that you will need to give to the DMV when you register the
    > car. I assume Canada is the same as most States and insurance is required in order
    > to register your vehicle.
    >
    > I did a little quick look-see for you and immediately found the Department of Motor
    > Vehicles site for the State of California. Here it is:
    >
    > http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
    >
    > Also since you are moving to CA, I assume that is where your fiancee lives as
    > well. What does she say you need or what did she need to register her vehicle in
    > the pass?
    >
    > Rete
    >
    > --
    >
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 26th 2002, 12:20 am
Mrpher

Dabear© <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > She doesn't really know, she did say a smog certificate is a must there. Otherwise
    > for a drivers lic. she said that i have to have a SSN. I am sending a letter to the
    > DMV asking them to send ma all info they have on this.

We are in the same boat, California/Canada. However we are no longer importing a car.
But at the time, at least from the DMV I went to, all that you had to have was the
letter from the manufature of the vehical with the VIN# stating that the vehicle
complies with all US safety standards. Ours was denied of the fact the seat belts
werent up to US standards. And a smog check and insurance was also required. As far
as the drivers liscense goes, they told us you have to have a SSN or a letter from
the Social Security Office stating that you were denied a SSN. One or the other we
were told would work. Like I said that was about 2 months ago and from my local DMV.

Old Jun 26th 2002, 2:20 am
Dabear?

denied a SSN or have one???

Harper wrote:

> Dabear© <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > She doesn't really know, she did say a smog certificate is a must there.
    > > Otherwise for a drivers lic. she said that i have to have a SSN. I am sending a
    > > letter to the DMV asking them to send ma all info they have on this.
    >
    > We are in the same boat, California/Canada. However we are no longer importing a
    > car. But at the time, at least from the DMV I went to, all that you had to have was
    > the letter from the manufature of the vehical with the VIN# stating that the
    > vehicle complies with all US safety standards. Ours was denied of the fact the seat
    > belts werent up to US standards. And a smog check and insurance was also required.
    > As far as the drivers liscense goes, they told us you have to have a SSN or a
    > letter from the Social Security Office stating that you were denied a SSN. One or
    > the other we were told would work. Like I said that was about 2 months ago and from
    > my local DMV.

Old Jun 26th 2002, 4:20 pm
Mrpher

Dabear© <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > denied a SSN or have one???
    >
    >
They told us to either go down and apply and get a SSN and that would work, or to go
down and apply and if for some reason you are denied or they wont give you a SSN,
have them write a letter stating that you cannot be issued a SSN, and they said that
would work also. Basically they told me that you dont actually have to have a SSN to
get a liscense, just proof that you tried and were denied. Like I said, that was
about 2 months ago, things mught have changed since then.