British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Oscars on Sunday! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/oscars-sunday-749604/)

Englishmum Feb 24th 2012 8:24 pm

Oscars on Sunday!

It's the Oscars on Sunday - I love to watch but TBH I haven't seen that many of the films being nominated this year.

I think that 'The Artist' will win Best Picture (deservedly so) and I'd like to see the two main characters win Academy Awards too. So nice to see expressions on the actors faces instead of frozen botoxed ones lol!

I'm planning to go and see one of the films nominated for 'Best Foreign Film' this weekend. It's already been awarded the Golden Globe.

It's from Iran. There is a tiny little art-house cinema a few miles from my house in the New Jersey suburbs (you get free coffee too lol!) and they tend to show critically acclaimed films which don't often see the light of day in the mainstream cinemas. The film is called 'A Seperation' and you can see a short trailer here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1832382/

Who or what do you think will win Oscars this weekend?

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 24th 2012 8:32 pm

Re: Oscars on Sunday!

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9919449)
It's the Oscars on Sunday - I love to watch but TBH I haven't seen that many of the films being nominated this year.

I think that 'The Artist' will win Best Picture (deservedly so) and I'd like to see the two main characters win Academy Awards too. So nice to see expressions on the actors faces instead of frozen botoxed ones lol!

I'm planning to go and see one of the films nominated for 'Best Foreign Film' this weekend. It's already been awarded the Golden Globe.

It's from Iran. There is a tiny little art-house cinema a few miles from my house in the New Jersey suburbs (you get free coffee too lol!) and they tend to show critically acclaimed films which don't often see the light of day in the mainstream cinemas. The film is called 'A Seperation' and you can see a short trailer here:

http://static6.bigstockphoto.com/thu...ll/3047856.jpg

Noorah101 Feb 24th 2012 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Englishmum (Post 9919449)

I'm sure "A Separation" will win best foreign film. I've seen it twice, it's a fabulous film!!!

I haven't seen many of this year's films, either, but I plan to watch the Awards. I like to see all the stars and their outfits. :)

Rene

Bob Feb 24th 2012 9:58 pm

I just want to see if whats his face does the Dictator.

Other than that, couldn't care....would rather they just put the speeches up on Youtube so anyone that is interested could watch that and just get on with announcing the noms and winners after a movie clip.

Speeches are all to long, boring and crap...only non-native English speakers should be given a little leeway, but not by much.

If they get cut off, they could always tweet the rest of the "who cares" brigade for further thanks.

lisa67 Feb 25th 2012 10:56 am

Will definitely be watching to see who wears what and who wins what.
I loved "The Help" and "The Iron Lady" but haven't seen any of the other runners.

Juswus Feb 25th 2012 12:54 pm

I love the Oscars. Always have, always will :) I even requested not to work tomorrow evening just so I can watch them.

It used to be a pain staying up half the night in UK to watch them though. I hear Stephen Fry is hosting them on the UK channels this year rather than Wossy. That would be fun to see.

Derrygal Feb 25th 2012 3:54 pm

I saw "The Help" and "The Iron Lady" - liked both of them. I just watched "Midnight in Paris" on Netflix - loved it, although I don't know if it's been nominated for any awards.

Uncle Ebenezer Feb 25th 2012 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Juswus (Post 9920344)
I love the Oscars. Always have, always will :) I even requested not to work tomorrow evening just so I can watch them.

It used to be a pain staying up half the night in UK to watch them though. I hear Stephen Fry is hosting them on the UK channels this year rather than Wossy. That would be fun to see.

Weirdo. I can't think of anything more boring, than watching a load of twats, pumped up with their self-importance, weeping and spouting about how grateful they are to their god, their parents and their same-sex spouses.

Weirdo.

Lola-Monmouth Feb 25th 2012 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9920555)
Weirdo. I can't think of anything more boring, than watching a load of twats, pumped up with their self-importance, weeping and spouting about how grateful they are to their god, their parents and their same-sex spouses.

Weirdo.

I wouldn't quite put it like that, being a lady;) but I find myself agreeing with UE AGAIN. Going for a lie down.............

Juswus Feb 25th 2012 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer (Post 9920555)

Weirdo.

:)

HarryTheSpider Feb 25th 2012 10:07 pm

I have all 152 or so episodes of The West Wing - will that be just enough to take me through the Oscars and all its associated blah?

Orangepants Feb 25th 2012 10:27 pm

I love to see what the actresses wear and listen to their complete waffle on the red carpet. Have seen all the films except "The Tree of Life" which sounded like one big yawn! My vote goes to the Descendants - George Clooney - yummy :starsmile:

Sally Redux Feb 26th 2012 5:05 pm

Are we going to chat during the show on here? That's the best part :lol:

Brucky Feb 26th 2012 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9921856)

My first experience of watching an American awards show in full was the Emmy's last year. I didn't have sky back in England.

But, my US MIL talked the whole way through it. :frown:

I no longer watch these shows.

Bob Feb 26th 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 9921856)

everyone should get on Google Plus and have a "Hangout", best use for it :lol:

Anyway, got a mate who worked on FX on one of the tech awards that's going...shit movie though, but oh well :lol: