Oscars 2012

Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

HumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond reputeHumphreyC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Oscars 2012

It's that time of year again; here are the nominations:

Best picture

War Horse, Artist, Moneyball, Descendants, Tree of Life, Midnight in Paris, The Help, Hugo, Extremely Loud

Original screenplay
The Artist, Bridesmaids, Midnight in Paris, Margin Call, A Separation

Adapted screenplay
Payne, Hugo, Ides of March, Moneyball, Tinker

Director: Hazanavicius, Payne, Scorsese, Allen, Mallick

Actor
Clooney, Bichir, Dujardin, Oldman, Pitt

Actress,
Close, Davies, Mara, Streep, Williams

Supporting actor Branangh Nolte, Hill, Plummer. Von Sydow

Supporting Actress. Bejo. Chastian, McCarthy, McTeer, Spencer.

Just wondering what everyone made of the flicks in the Best Picture category?

Thought Moneyball was a fairly good underdog story - nothing spectacular though. The Help was good but my wife who has read the book was a bit disappointed by it. Midnight in Paris was a return to form by Woody Allen - probably my favorite out of the ones I have seen.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oscars 2012

I'm disappointed that Tintin didn't make Best Animated Film. We saw it over the weekend and it was very good! Much better than anything else that's nominated!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I enjoyed The Descendants and The Debt...IMO they were the best films of 2011. I was surprised that The Debt wasn't nominated.

Clooney for best actor...Meryl Streep for best actress.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 2:20 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I enjoyed The Descendants and The Debt...IMO they were the best films of 2011. I was surprised that The Debt wasn't nominated.

Clooney for best actor...Meryl Streep for best actress.

+1

I was pleasantly surprised with both movies and with Clooney's performance in particular. Never thought of him as an actor before. Just more of a celeberity. Streep has always topped my list of great actors along with Helen Mirren.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:39 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm disappointed that Tintin didn't make Best Animated Film. We saw it over the weekend and it was very good! Much better than anything else that's nominated!
The animation in TinTin was far superior to anything that has been out before, it's certainly set the new standard IMO. I'm also very surprised it's not on the list.

Really pleased to see Hugo get so many nominations, to me this was the best movie of the year, it was visually beautiful and a real nod to the cinema world. I don't think I have ever been to the cinema and come out so in love with a movie.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
The animation in TinTin was far superior to anything that has been out before, it's certainly set the new standard IMO. I'm also very surprised it's not on the list.
Possibly out to late?

Either way, most of those noms are shit.

It's all very meh and left feeling rather cold by it all and the samey, samey of the whole affair.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:29 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Possibly out to late?

Either way, most of those noms are shit.

It's all very meh and left feeling rather cold by it all and the samey, samey of the whole affair.
I wondered that, but it received a nomination for Music
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:46 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I wondered that, but it received a nomination for Music
That is weird.

Maybe the folks who decided things didn't think it was CGI enough?

All seems pretty random as Puss in Boots also got a nod in that category didn't it?

What about the raspberries? Far more amusing
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Bob
That is weird.

Maybe the folks who decided things didn't think it was CGI enough?

All seems pretty random as Puss in Boots also got a nod in that category didn't it?

What about the raspberries? Far more amusing
It would appear the official reason is because 'motion capture is not legitimate animation' but rumblings that it is a deliberate snub due to the no girls allowed in TinTin. Can't say I even realized this until I've just read it.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:17 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

It would appear the official reason is because 'motion capture is not legitimate animation' but rumblings that it is a deliberate snub due to the no girls allowed in TinTin. Can't say I even realized this until I've just read it.
That's odd...wasn't Lord of the Mings up for a tech/cgi award back in the day? that was MoCap....hmmm. Weird.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:33 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Of the best movie category, I only saw War Horse and The Help, and of the two, I far preferred War Horse.

The Iranian film "A Separation" is very good, I hope it wins best foreign film (it won the Golden Globe award for best foreign film). It's available to watch through YouTube, in 2 parts (you have to search for the one with English subtitles).

Rene
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:25 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

The only movie I have heard of is "War Horse' and there is no way I would ever watch it I would be in floods.

Actors Male Clooney, Pitt and Oldman I suppose its time Clooney got a oscar but Oldman is the best actor in my mind.

Actress I would like to see Williams get it.....I remember her in Home and Away

Never heard of anyone else so I guess I will be watching "Pawn Stars" Oscar night this year
Old Jan 24th 2012, 1:31 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

It would appear the official reason is because 'motion capture is not legitimate animation'
motion capture can't win it seems, Andy Serkis keeps getting praise for his acting in motion capture (e.g. Golam/Cpt Haddock) but is not nominatable because it was motion capture.

Cant believe Ides of March gets a look in for script, nor that Tilda Swinton (Kevin) was overlooked for actress.

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 24th 2012 at 1:33 pm.