British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Oregon Folks - Vacation Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/oregon-folks-vacation-help-858030/)

N1cky May 11th 2015 10:07 pm

Oregon Folks - Vacation Help

We've got an unexpected trip to Oregon coming up in June.

We'll be driving from the Bay Area to Red Bluff on Thursday evening, then to Bend on Friday, with a 2-3 hour stop at Crater Lake.

We'll be at a competition all weekend, and then at Smith Rock on Monday and Tuesday. Any recommendations on must do hikes, things to do/see, restaurants... in the Smith Rock area, we'll be leaving my daughter there for the day, so will be able to explore just the two of us.

We had planned to drive back on Wednesday, however, we're now considering staying longer and driving back at the weekend.

Our options are, to extend our vacation rental which is in Redmond. Or drive to Portland and spend a couple of nights there, then drive back to the Bay Area.

Is there enough to keep us occupied if we stay on in Redmond for a couple of extra nights?

Are there any must see stopovers on the drive either from Bend - Bay Area, or Portland - Bay Area? I'm thinking landmark sights, hikes under 3 hours.

Thanks

kevntrace May 11th 2015 10:35 pm

Re: Oregon Folks - Vacation Help

Crater Lake is on my bucket list. Lived here 20 years and still not visited.

lansbury May 11th 2015 10:55 pm

If you have the time consider doing the trip back along highway 101 along the coast.

Beaverstate May 12th 2015 1:42 am

If Portland is in your plans then consider driving up Hwy 97 to I-84 and drive through/stop in the columbia gorge. Numerous waterfalls and many short hikes. The Bonneville dam is also there and open to the public, you can see the electricity generators, locks and fish ladders.

Boomhauer May 12th 2015 2:33 am

The new Bend whitewater kayaking / river surfing / paddle boarding park might be open.

https://www.facebook.com/bendpaddletrailalliance

Psyman May 12th 2015 7:38 pm

The whitewater park in Bend won't be open until after the summer. But if you're in Bend, and you like beer, go to the Deschutes brewery downtown and get a pint of Bachelor Bitter on cask (you have to ask for the cask version). Best pint of beer you'll find in the USA in my opinion. Very much like a very good bitter in the UK. If you're driving to Crater Lake from Medford area there are nice waterfalls etc along the road so a stop or two along the way is worth it. The High Desert Museum just outside Bend is supposed to be good. If you're into cycling, ask at bike stores about mountain biking trails along the Deschutes river or near town. There are also a few sites near town with volcanic features to see, such as lava tubes etc.

Giantaxe May 12th 2015 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by Psyman (Post 11644179)
There are also a few sites near town with volcanic features to see, such as lava tubes etc.

I love wandering around the dirt roads to the south and east of Bend. As you say, lots of relatively recent (geologically speaking) lava beds and cinder cones.

N1cky May 12th 2015 7:49 pm

Thanks everyone.

We've decided to stay in Bend for the few extra days. Figured it would be more relaxing than driving to Portland and then having an 11 hour drive home from there.

There seems to be a lot of great places to eat and drink, so that will keep us busy on an evening. I'll check out some of the places mentioned for the daytime.

Really looking forward to it now :)

AdobePinon May 13th 2015 2:22 am

Good choice. You'll find plenty to do in Bend. Take a drive up McKenzie Pass while you're there.

Funny. Deschutes is good, but it's gone from being one of the best breweries in the country to one of the worst in Bend. :D You'll see what I mean.

BTW, since it's common to get tea, kombucha, beer, and wine in many coffee shops, you do run the risk of not going anywhere.

Psyman May 13th 2015 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 11644378)
Good choice. You'll find plenty to do in Bend. Take a drive up McKenzie Pass while you're there.

Funny. Deschutes is good, but it's gone from being one of the best breweries in the country to one of the worst in Bend. :D You'll see what I mean.

BTW, since it's common to get tea, kombucha, beer, and wine in many coffee shops, you do run the risk of not going anywhere.

Unfortunately, since 5 years ago I have to eat/drink gluten free, so that means no more beer for me. So generally I can't comment on beer much these days. However, I was at the Deschutes brewpub last week and snuck a few sips of the cask Bachelor Bitter from a friend and it was as good as it was 20 years ago. The pub itself is a lot different than it was - more like a chain restaurant now - but the few sips I had were worth it, despite the chance of me potentially getting sick! My friend downed 3 pints of it in about 45 minutes (he'd never had a beer like it before). Has to be on cask though. None of this artificially carbonated stuff.

N1cky May 13th 2015 4:20 pm

My husband is looking forward to sampling all the beers, I'm more of a wine drinker myself, so I'll probably let him do more sampling and me more driving. Sigh :(

cluedweasel May 14th 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon (Post 11644378)

I'm pretty sure its still closed for the winter. Tripcheck.com is showing it closed. The Cascades Lake Highway is open after the winter though and that's well worth a trip. If you can, do the whole loop from Bend down to Hwy 58. Elk Lake is worth a stop. Beautiful scenery and decent, but not fancy, food at the lodge.

Steerpike May 21st 2015 6:26 am

Originally Posted by kevntrace (Post 11643299)
Crater Lake is on my bucket list. Lived here 20 years and still not visited.

I don't live there but I have been to Crater Lake, and it was gorgeous and fascinating. On a separate trip I remember enjoying the drive from Eugene to Bend, through dense forrest. Nothing terribly different from driving to Tahoe, but lovely all the same. I was looking forward to Eugene but got put off by all the homeless kids hanging around and begging. Seemed to be a lot of it around in the coastal areas, and in Ashland. I've only been to Portland on a whistle-stop business trip, would love to go back and explore some more.

Have fun!