Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

One up on the ICE -Something fun for a change

Wikiposts

One up on the ICE -Something fun for a change

Old Dec 22nd 2011, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default One up on the ICE -Something fun for a change

So I was travelling in Europe and at one point I realized my "US" wallet was lost and together with it my GC. (I carry two wallets, one for Europe with local currency and local cards and one that is my US wallet). I phoned the US Consulate asking what I should do to enter the US and was told I needed to make an application in person, together with $165, 4 photos, proof of my exit from the US etc etc. It was all a very civilized experience. I got to talk with "real" people on the phone, they answered questions, were knowledgeable etc and same when I was at the Consulate. I was told they would be sending the application to the "regional" headquarters for approval and they would phone me back or I could phone back to check status in a couple of days. Now at the Consulate, I was referred to the supervisor and she was the one dealing with my case. So I asked this nice lady what her name was so that when I phoned back I could ask for her. She told me that for security reasons they don't give out names.

Fast forward to my entering the US at JFK a few days ago. After reviewing all my paperwork which I had handed over to him in a sealed envelope that was given to me by the Consulate in Europe, the nice immigration officer at JFK handed me back the full contents of said envelope. In it was all the paperwork I had given the Consulate, plus a letter written to immigration by the US Vice Consul, plus the copy of an e-mail written by the nice lady (supervisor) at the Consulate to the regional headquarters and the reply back from the regional HQ. So now I have the name of the nice lady plus the name, e-mail, cell phone number, landline phone number and full title of the ICE officer.

Not that I will ever use or abuse that information, but it put a smile on my face. I admit. I feel smug.

Last edited by jmood; Dec 22nd 2011 at 2:59 am.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One up on the ICE -Something fun for a change

Overseas posts do not readily disclose identities while overseas. As you note, it was the people at JFK who gave you everything.