British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Old habits hard to break ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/old-habits-hard-break-878529/)

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 7th 2016 12:12 am

Old habits hard to break ?

I realised today that everyday before I make supper, whether it is a weekday and I am getting home from work or a weekend and we are home I always make a cup of tea and drink it as I cook supper.

I have been doing this for 41 years, probably because my parents did the same thing. Even when it is 100+ degrees I still walk in the door and put the kettle on. It is certainly a habit hard to break!

Anyone else with old habits they cannot break?

Bob Jun 7th 2016 12:41 am

Re: Old habits hard to break ?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11966836)

I drink tea all day when I'm home, doesn't matter how hot it is either. I don't mind a cold drink, but I'll still have my mug of tea.

quiltman Jun 7th 2016 1:19 am

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 11966850)
I drink tea all day when I'm home, doesn't matter how hot it is either. I don't mind a cold drink, but I'll still have my mug of tea.

Me too - tea all day. I was told years ago that drinking warm/hot drinks on a hot day was better than ice cold as it's less of a shock to the stomach. Don't know if it's true but hey, any excuse for a cuppa! I do like the odd ice cold beer as well though.:lol:

dc koop Jun 7th 2016 5:31 am

I make a great big mug of tea every night before bedtime (Bigelows Earl Grey). Never keeps me awake either

BubbleChog Jun 7th 2016 2:42 pm

I still occasionally walk to the wrong side of the car to get in the passenger side.

Philk Jun 7th 2016 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 11967324)
I still occasionally walk to the wrong side of the car to get in the passenger side.

I do that when I'm tired - which might also be a good sign that I shouldn't be driving :unsure:

TimFountain Jun 8th 2016 12:08 am

Cracking off the perfect fart after some good grub. Been doing it for 51 years and it still makes me happy....

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 8th 2016 12:15 am

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 11967755)
Cracking off the perfect fart after some good grub. Been doing it for 51 years and it still makes me happy....

Where ever you be let your wind blow free..:lol:

TimFountain Jun 8th 2016 12:38 am

Hehe....

Jerseygirl Jun 8th 2016 1:07 am

I am also a tea lover. It is an old habit and I have no intention of changing. I packed 8 boxes of 240 PGTips tea bags in my case before I left the UK last week. :thumbsup:

Wintersong Jun 8th 2016 4:32 am

Driving on the left.

Sheepdip Jun 10th 2016 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 11966867)
Me too - tea all day. I was told years ago that drinking warm/hot drinks on a hot day was better than ice cold as it's less of a shock to the stomach. Don't know if it's true but hey, any excuse for a cuppa! I do like the odd ice cold beer as well though.:lol:

I was told that if you take cold drinks your body tries to raise it's internal temperature back to normal so you just get hotter whereas a hot drink has the opposite effect (via sweating and evaporative cooling).

My wife wouldn't be able to survive without her PG Tips!

thinbrit Jun 10th 2016 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 11967324)

I do this much less frequently than at first. If I do this I simply spend the next minute rifling through the glovebox looking for that important thing I was obviously looking for when I opened the passenger door.....

johnwoo Jun 10th 2016 10:55 pm

I realised today that everyday before I make supper, whether it is a weekday and I am getting home from work or a weekend and we are home I always make a cup of tea and drink it as I cook supper.

I have been doing this for 41 years, probably because my parents did the same thing. Even when it is 100+ degrees I still walk in the door and put the kettle on. It is certainly a habit hard to break!

I do the same, only with glass of wine, and a and a shot of either Brandy or Single Malt Scotch for a nightcap. That's my three a day.

scot47 Jun 11th 2016 10:00 am

I always try to get in the wromg side of the car.

Teckelspass Jun 11th 2016 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by dc koop (Post 11966941)
I make a great big mug of tea every night before bedtime (Bigelows Earl Grey). Never keeps me awake either

This! Not necessarily Bigelows or always Earl Grey, but now I'm just being pedantic.

md95065 Jun 11th 2016 8:26 pm

It took me a about 10 years of living in California to get out of the habit of always taking a jacket or coat with me every time I left the house ...

lizzyq Jun 11th 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11970899)
It took me a about 10 years of living in California to get out of the habit of always taking a jacket or coat with me every time I left the house ...

Even in warm/hot weather I take along a jacket to protect me from overzealous air-conditioning. I hate sitting in an icy draught in a restaurant.

johnwoo Jun 11th 2016 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11970899)

I remember going into a Department store in Seattle and being mistaken for a store clerk. Where are men's suits sir, where are the restrooms? I soon learned not to go shopping in jacket and tie.

BubbleChog Jun 13th 2016 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 11970915)
Even in warm/hot weather I take along a jacket to protect me from overzealous air-conditioning. I hate sitting in an icy draught in a restaurant.

I use a cardigan a lot more here than I did in the UK

Sarah Jun 13th 2016 8:49 pm

I drink like a 12 year old. Ribena is my favourite drink in the world, besides tea. We can be having a big family Christmas dinner and I'll always eschew wine and booze in favour of Ribena, water or tea.

Steerpike Jun 14th 2016 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sheepdip (Post 11970044)
I was told that if you take cold drinks your body tries to raise it's internal temperature back to normal so you just get hotter whereas a hot drink has the opposite effect (via sweating and evaporative cooling).

I do a lot of hot weather hiking in Scottsdale (106 in the shade) and use a 'camelbak' to carry large amounts of water on the hike. Some people put their water pouches in the freezer first, but I read the same thing - drinking icewater is not going to do you any good.

Steerpike Jun 14th 2016 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 11970915)

I'm with you on that one! I f**ing hate cold restaurants! I always imagine the thermostat is being set by a waiter who is running around all hot and sweaty, without concern for the patrons. Scottsdale in summer can be really, really tough in this regard. I almost always sit outside in summer for this reason, but nowadays, everyone has those damn 'misters' which, unless perfectly placed, just end up dripping and blowing on you.

Steerpike Jun 14th 2016 10:23 pm

I think the only habit from 'the old days' that I still have is that I still really, really enjoy a 'packet of crisps' (chips).

BubbleChog Jun 14th 2016 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah (Post 11972576)
I drink like a 12 year old. Ribena is my favourite drink in the world, besides tea. We can be having a big family Christmas dinner and I'll always eschew wine and booze in favour of Ribena, water or tea.

I used to have a major squash habit but the cost here for a titchy bottle of Ribena has almost cured me. I have found these which will do in a pinch MARCO POLO BLACK CURRANT SYRUP - Rodmans

md95065 Jun 15th 2016 5:46 am

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 11973683)
I used to have a major squash habit but the cost here for a titchy bottle of Ribena has almost cured me. I have found these which will do in a pinch MARCO POLO BLACK CURRANT SYRUP - Rodmans

I have definitely been here too long - it took me several puzzled seconds of trying to understand what racket sports or courgettes had do do with Ribena before I realized what you were talking about ...

scrubbedexpat097 Jun 15th 2016 11:48 am

Originally Posted by md95065 (Post 11973862)
I have definitely been here too long - it took me several puzzled seconds of trying to understand what racket sports or courgettes had do do with Ribena before I realized what you were talking about ...

As long as I've been here I still call carbonated drinks (coke, Pepsi etc) fizzy drinks.
The guys in my office have finally stopped trying to change me.

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 11974126)
As long as I've been here I still call carbonated drinks (coke, Pepsi etc) fizzy drinks.
The guys in my office have finally stopped trying to change me.

When we were kids they were know as pop....still called pop here in Toronto.

Bob Jun 15th 2016 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steerpike (Post 11973646)
I do a lot of hot weather hiking in Scottsdale (106 in the shade) and use a 'camelbak' to carry large amounts of water on the hike. Some people put their water pouches in the freezer first, but I read the same thing - drinking icewater is not going to do you any good.

Probably to protect the beer bottles from rattling...so they have a cold beer at the end of it?

Though mountain bikers use cans of beer...well the ones I know that do this.

Teckelspass Jun 15th 2016 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11974346)
When we were kids they were know as pop....still called pop here in Toronto.

When we previously lived in TX, I recall some people calling every type of soda "Coke," whether or not referring to Coca Cola. As in, when asked, "Do you want a Coke" it is perfectly acceptable to say, "Yes, I'd like a Sprite please." Completely confused me. Don't know if that usage is still common or even used across TX/South or regional?

Jerseygirl Jun 15th 2016 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Teckelspass (Post 11974390)
When we previously lived in TX, I recall some people calling every type of soda "Coke," whether or not referring to Coca Cola. As in, when asked, "Do you want a Coke" it is perfectly acceptable to say, "Yes, I'd like a Sprite please." Completely confused me. Don't know if that usage is still common or even used across TX/South or regional?

When ordering Coke or Pepsi in NJ it was usually referred to as soda.

Teckelspass Jun 15th 2016 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 11974392)
When ordering Coke or Pepsi in NJ it was usually referred to as soda.

As it is here in California. I got a sense that the usage I was referring to was a TX or maybe Southern thing, but maybe others can confirm. Have never heard it here.

BubbleChog Jun 15th 2016 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by Teckelspass (Post 11974390)

This is quite common here in ATL, but then we're home of Coca-Cola so that might have a bearing

Leslie Jun 19th 2016 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Teckelspass (Post 11974399)
As it is here in California. I got a sense that the usage I was referring to was a TX or maybe Southern thing, but maybe others can confirm. Have never heard it here.

It's a Southern thing. ;)

mrken30 Jun 20th 2016 5:24 pm

I find it hard to stop picking my nose when sitting at traffic lights for more than 3 minutes.

Steerpike Jun 20th 2016 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by mrken30 (Post 11978555)
I find it hard to stop picking my nose when sitting at traffic lights for more than 3 minutes.

3 minutes ??!? Come on ... 2 seconds. Actually, better while driving ... less chance of being spotted.

Vimto Jun 21st 2016 1:03 am

Originally Posted by BubbleChog (Post 11974520)
This is quite common here in ATL, but then we're home of Coca-Cola so that might have a bearing

here are some stats Pop vs. Soda Stats