Wikiposts

Old habits

Old Oct 14th 2012, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old habits

Easy to pick up new habit unawares. Im currently in London for a brief visit. Just popped down to reception on the ground floor and got in the lift and automatically punched "1".

Oh the shame. I blame jet lag......
Old Oct 16th 2012, 12:19 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffM
As for U-turns, they're great! Wa-hey! I find I'm relaxing more as time goes on but hey, if there's no sign saying I can't, then let's go for it!
In a country with almost no roundabouts, I have learned to improvise - when I miss the green left arrow on the way home I just go straight through about 50 yards, do a quick U-turn and make a right. I have found a number of places this manoeuvre, or a similar one, works. My daughter calls them "Daddy's roundabouts".
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

A trick i used so as to not look foolish for opening the passenger door when i started driving over here was to throw something on the passenger floor befor i got out, then if i did open the wrong door i just picked up the object and walked around to the other side holding the object aloft for all to see so they would realize this was my intention all allong

I got a magazine in the mail from a mate in the UK and it just had my address on it, inside was a note from him with his return address on it. I'd forgotten that's how we did it in the UK, return address on the inside of the letter, you have to admit putting the return address on the outside of the letter is one of the better ideas the Yanks had.

Charles
Old Oct 17th 2012, 3:53 am

Cardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond reputeCardienscarf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivit

I got a magazine in the mail from a mate in the UK and it just had my address on it, inside was a note from him with his return address on it. I'd forgotten that's how we did it in the UK, return address on the inside of the letter, you have to admit putting the return address on the outside of the letter is one of the better ideas the Yanks had.

Charles
As long as you can open the envelope without ripping the house number
Old Oct 17th 2012, 6:13 am

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

A trick i used so as to not look foolish for opening the passenger door when i started driving over here was to throw something on the passenger floor befor i got out, then if i did open the wrong door i just picked up the object and walked around to the other side holding the object aloft for all to see so they would realize this was my intention all allong

Charles
It takes all the excitement out of opening your birthday and christmas cards though
Old Oct 19th 2012, 4:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Charles
First I've heard of that.

Always have written the return address on the envelope, just at the back rather than the front though.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:18 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Dates!! ..... I always go for longhand "October 4 2012" or "4 October 2012"
I kind of go half way, I follow the US syntax, but write the month short, I understand it and the locals do too.
like this Oct/19/12
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Working in a scientific environment for 20+ years with colleagues on both sides of the Atlantic, I got in the habit a long time ago of writing in the format "19 Oct 2012". It's engrained now, can't write it any other way, home or work. At least it's unambiguous to every one.

In fact, I have been mostly successful in persuading many other colleagues to write their dates in that way too. You don't have to face too many FDA auditors asking "5th April or 4th May?" before changing habits!
Old Oct 19th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Like it - when I did it regularly in the car park at work I conspicuously placed my handbag/coat etc on the passenger seat before walking round to the drivers side. Same idea.
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Like it - when I did it regularly in the car park at work I conspicuously placed my handbag/coat etc on the passenger seat before walking round to the drivers side. Same idea.
I used to just have something to hand and chucked it on the passenger seat, like a coat, before walking around if I made that mistake
Old Oct 20th 2012, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute

Also the MPG on a car is confusing.....I just bought a new car....it's a tiny thing....just 1.2 litre engine...but I was totally unimpresed with the MPG rating...
Until I was reminded a US gallon is 3.7 litres, and a UK one about 5 litres!
Now I'm a bit more impressed with my MPG!!!
Old Oct 21st 2012, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
First I've heard of that.

Always have written the return address on the envelope, just at the back rather than the front though.
That's what I've always done too.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I

Last edited by Lothianlad; Oct 21st 2012 at 11:03 am.