Old habits

Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond reputePhilk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Old habits

Now been in the US just over 4 months. adjusting well apart from a couple of old habits...

Going to my car, if I'm not concentrating fully then I often go to the passenger side and not the drivers side

Writing cheques ( sorry, checks ), found myself writing pounds

Writing a date - I always have to stop and think hard before doing that

otherwise, blending in well with the natives
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old habits

Originally Posted by Philk
Going to my car, if I'm not concentrating fully then I often go to the passenger side and not the drivers side
Did the same, for quite a while....usually when getting back into the car after filling it up. Driving wasn't ever a problem though, except occasionally hitting the door when going for the hand brake/gear shifter.

And I still have to do the date in my head first
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Britishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant futureBritishbees has a brilliant future

I am glad you are settling in well.

We have been in Phoenix for nearly two years now. I still find myself going to the wrong side for the driver's door. I look through the window and wonder where the hell the steering wheel went .

As for writing the date - why on earth do they feel the need to write it backwards I have to stop and think and if I get confused I just write the whole date out in full instead.

On the driving side, I still sometimes have to think hard before I turn left to make sure I don't go on the wrong side of flowing traffic .

Old habits die hard.....
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

For some reason it seems the date thing is really hard to shake off.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
For some reason it seems the date thing is really hard to shake off.
The date is the hardest...also light switches for me.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:55 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Came here in 1996

I still can't handle the date format used here. The car thing.... I did that just the other week. And yes, all the light switches are upside down.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 9:58 pm
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philk
Now been in the US just over 4 months. adjusting well apart from a couple of old habits...

Writing cheques ( sorry, checks ), found myself writing pounds

Writing a date - I always have to stop and think hard before doing that

otherwise, blending in well with the natives
Just wait until it becomes normal and then you go back to the UK and try and get in on the wrong side!

I'm with you on the date. I still have to think about it. I deal with London a lot for work so I tend to write it out wherever possible to prevent confusion.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in the US for 7 years, including 4 different states, and I still feel out of place. Just about accepted that I'll never quite be able to 'blend in'!

No idea why it took me so long to come to that realisation!
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:29 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

I still find dates incredibly difficult, it doesn't help that both me and hubby were born before the 12th day of the month.

I can't shake the habit as a pedestrian of looking the wrong way to cross the road. Now I just seem to shake my header like a nutter looking left, right, left right...
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I still find dates incredibly difficult, it doesn't help that both me and hubby were born before the 12th day of the month.

I can't shake the habit as a pedestrian of looking the wrong way to cross the road. Now I just seem to shake my header like a nutter looking left, right, left right...
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:44 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't have any problems until I went back, then I tended to be in the wrong lane after a turn.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:59 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

4 years in and I still stop before writing the date.

I convert prices into pounds before deciding if something is expensive or not (which exchange rate I use in my head depends on whether I am trying to convince myself to buy it or not).

After a trip home I have a phantom clutch problem.

And certain words just don't slip off the tongue, I fear I will never open my 'hood' or put shopping in the 'trunk' nor walk down a sidewalk or drive my car on the pavement. I still buy rubbers for my sons pencil case and petrol at the garage - ah well.... I do buy zucchini, cilantro and all purpose flour though and order filayy if I want a steak - I wonder why the food stuff seems to stick?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:03 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Dates!! I have tried to unlearn the shorthand completely. I always go for longhand "October 4 2012" or "4 October 2012" when speaking or writing. I learned a lesson by wrongly dating the check-que for my adjustment of status and getting the application returned.

I often go to the wrong car door after drinking.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
I do the same, even in the car. But it doesn't matter as you're meant to look both ways anyway... :/
Old Oct 4th 2012, 11:12 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Old habits belong to old monks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.