Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old batteries and electrical matters

1968 ? Decimalisation was in 1971.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
1968 ? Decimalisation was in 1971.
Sorry, you're right. I remember getting on a bus to school. It used to be a tanner (2 1/2 new pence) and then the first day of official decimalization it was rounded 3 new pence, always thought that was a rip.

Weren't decimal coins started to be introduced before that date though...just not all of them just the ones the same size as the old style coin like10p/2s and 5p/1s ...the tanner got tossed out of course plus the ha'penny bit.
Old Aug 4th 2014, 1:12 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Sorry, you're right. I remember getting on a bus to school. It used to be a tanner (2 1/2 new pence) and then the first day of official decimalization it was rounded 3 new pence, always thought that was a rip.

Weren't decimal coins started to be introduced before that date though...just not all of them just the ones the same size as the old style coin like 10p/2s and 5p/1s ...the tanner got tossed out of course plus the ha'penny bit.
The sixpence was legal render until 1978. If a fare of 2½p was rounded up to 3p when there was not only a ½p coin, but also a 2½p coin then it truly was a rip-off.

There was wasn't exactly room for the ha'penny bit in the decimal system when it was worth 0.2083p.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 10:01 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

This Guy Has some similar lamps and an adapter, he doesn't say where to get one, I couldn't find any but some work with some epoxy and copper strip should produce something usable.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I can't add any better answer to the question, but I did have a lamp like that on my bike in the 70's. Nice to be reminded of those days
Old Aug 8th 2014, 1:42 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
This Guy Has some similar lamps and an adapter, he doesn't say where to get one, I couldn't find any but some work with some epoxy and copper strip should produce something usable.
I had a look at that, but the adaptor seems almost as old as the lamps and he "just happened to have one". That is the sort of thing I need though. Maybe I can email him.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:21 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
I had a look at that, but the adaptor seems almost as old as the lamps and he "just happened to have one". That is the sort of thing I need though. Maybe I can email him.
I found a reference to a supplier of that plastic cap-clip that holds two D cells together. I e-mailed them, and they no longer stock that product. As someone else suggest you should (find someone to) solder in a plastic holder that holds two 1.5v cells of your choice, small enough to drop into the lamp case. Maplin Radio spares sells a variety of battery holders in the UK.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 2:28 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I found a reference to a supplier of that plastic cap-clip that holds two D cells together. I e-mailed them, and they no longer stock that product. As someone else suggest you should (find someone to) solder in a plastic holder that holds two 1.5v cells of your choice, small enough to drop into the lamp case. Maplin Radio spares sells a variety of battery holders in the UK.
That was a very nice thing to do anyway, thank you. I was trying and failing to find one on ebay. All that milk of human kindness - you'll be voting labour and advocating for the social safety net next

Anyway, thank you. I think the electrical cavalry is coming into town next week and will be able to help me do this while making sure that I don't just burn my eyebrows off or something.

Oh and I did find a reference to old Every Ready E cells that were the same diameter as current D cells but taller than a D and shorter than an F. Allegedly two of these produced the necessary 3v.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 8th 2014 at 2:32 am.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That was a very nice thing to do anyway, thank you. I was trying and failing to find one on ebay. All that milk of human kindness - you'll be voting labour and advocating for the social safety net next

Anyway, thank you. .....
You're welcome. . Maybe I'm just evidence that we're not all bad over here on the other side of the political divide.

BTW Have you checked that the bulb still works, and that you'll be able to get 3v replacements? I wouldn't want you to go to all the trouble of getting the power side of the equation solved only to find that you don't have a working bulb. At least you might take a look at it under a magnifying glass to check the filament is intact.

Last edited by Pulaski; Aug 8th 2014 at 10:02 am.
Old Aug 8th 2014, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You're welcome. . Maybe I'm just evidence that we're not all bad over here on the other side of the political divide.

BTW Have you checked that the bulb still works, and that you'll be able to get 3v replacements? I wouldn't want you to go to all the trouble of getting the power side of the equation solved only to find that you don't have a working bulb. At least you might take a look at it under a magnifying glass to check the filament is intact.
I'll have a look. Are these not made any more either? Or perhaps there is a substitute bulb? I have another old, but not as old (70s?), bike lamp from "The Crown Colony of Hong Kong" that looks as though it might run on two D cells and I think it takes the same kind of bulb - and it has one in and a spare in the base so I hope I have some reserves. I'd like to get the 60s lamp onto the 61 bike though.

And I'm sure you're not actually bad - just a little misguided... At least you don't put dutch salad cream on your chips.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Aug 8th 2014 at 10:59 am.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:17 pm

So, what's the current status of the bike lamp?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 4:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a big square battery with the sides loped off, forget now what they were used for, the ones posted early were used in bike lamps.

I have the innards of a Gravity Battery, the glass jar rarely survives.