Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old batteries and electrical matters

Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Old batteries and electrical matters

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
So it's really as simple as putting two of these in?

Robot Check

How does it make contact with the contact on the inside side of the torch?

Sorry if I'm being dense.

I think I might need the "cycle lamp" on this ancient list.

http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/a...9&d=1326657131
Those look like newer types of batteries for newer equipment and aren't standard sizes like the AAA though D batteries. They also are 1.5V but probably wont contact.

Normally it is just that simple.

If their is one or two batteries (one after the other), then it is that simple. If there are two batteries side by side, then there is likely a spring plate in the inside that will push up against the light when the switch is pushed.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:44 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Waaay out of my comfort zone with electricity.

Somebody must have made a converter thing somewhere.
It's only batteries - little chance of doing yourself any harm, although I think there has been at least one recorded death from someone testing a 9V battery on their tongue.

Get the little lion to give it a go - they probably cover stuff like that in school
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:46 am
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

So I have this old Ever Ready torch/flashlight/lamp as carried at one time by the posties in England. It is marked for the General Post Office (GPO) and has the clip on the back where it can be hooked over a chest pocket. I'm guessing it's from the early sixties, like my bike.

What sort of batteries did/do these things take and are they still in existence? If not, is there a converter thing?

Be warned, I know almost nothing about electricity.
Have a look at the bulb and see if it has a voltage marking on it.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:48 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
Those look like newer types of batteries for newer equipment and aren't standard sizes like the AAA though D batteries. They also are 1.5V but probably wont contact.

Normally it is just that simple.

If their is one or two batteries (one after the other), then it is that simple. If there are two batteries side by side, then there is likely a spring plate in the inside that will push up against the light when the switch is pushed.
I think the old battery packs had a contact on the front of the pack which can be achieved with a wire up from the base of one to the contact on the bulb. Looks like the 2 cell cycle lamp pack on the vintage list at a guess
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:51 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AZ_Alba
Have a look at the bulb and see if it has a voltage marking on it.
No, no helpful markings at all, sadly.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 3:52 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I think the old battery packs had a contact on the front of the pack which can be achieved with a wire up from the base of one to the contact on the bulb. Looks like the 2 cell cycle lamp pack on the vintage list at a guess
That's what I'm thinking. It definitely needs a contact at the front somehow. The other one is at the top, inside the lid, that gets made when the lid is pushed on.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Waaay out of my comfort zone with electricity.

Somebody must have made a converter thing somewhere.
Can you take a picture of the inside so we can see how it contacts? Generally the hole where the battery goes will only perfectly fit a specific battery. A 1.5V volt battery is about the lowest voltage battery ever made so it can't burn out the light bulb if it is the wrong battery. The difference between the AAA through D cylinder type batteries is the size and the amount of current available (how long it will last).
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

No, no helpful markings at all, sadly.
The markings are normally on the base of the light bulb if it is marked. You'll have to take it out to look.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:06 am

Can you take a picture of the inside so we can see how it contacts? Generally the hole where the battery goes will only perfectly fit a specific battery. A 1.5V volt battery is about the lowest voltage battery ever made so it can't burn out the light bulb if it is the wrong battery. The difference between the AAA through D cylinder type batteries is the size and the amount of current available (how long it will last).
Can you see enough from the middle pic in my first post? You can see the lid, which is one contact point, and then the bit sticking out inside at the front of the torch is the other.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:07 am

The markings are normally on the base of the light bulb if it is marked. You'll have to take it out to look.
I did. It wasn't.

There must have been a trilion of these made, you would think I could find something on google.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

D Cell batteries were common in the 1960s. From what I can see (picture isn't very clear) it looks like it takes 1.5V cylinder type batteries and not the 9V connector type battery. Therefore I suggest you take it with you and find cylinder type batteries that fit perfectly in the torch. ....
At 1.5v it's a "cell" not a "battery", but aside from that I agree with you, and that style of bicycle lamp needs (only) two of whichever cell fits, which as you suggested is, I think a D cell.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski
At 1.5v it's a "cell" not a "battery", but aside from that I agree with you, and that style of bicycle lamp needs (only) two of whichever cell fits, which as you suggested is, I think a D cell.
Except I have to do the wiring thing as Old Sparkles says so it makes contact at the front.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Can you see enough from the middle pic in my first post? You can see the lid, which is one contact point, and then the bit sticking out inside at the front of the torch is the other.
I can't make out what the battery compartment looks like. With the spring on the lid, that often indicates that the battery will be pushed forward to make contact and something in the compartment (possible a circular spring or another leaf type spring similar to what is seen on the lid) is pushing in the opposite direction so the battery won't make contact with the light bulb when the switch is not engaged.

I very much doubt it has a wire in there to connect to the battery since the mechanism in the lid wouldn't work. Below is a common wire connection that connects both contacts of a battery but that requires a different type of switch to allow current to flow through the light bulb.
Attached Thumbnails Old batteries and electrical matters-80-00.jpg  
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:23 am

I can't make out what the battery compartment looks like. With the spring on the lid, that often indicates that the battery will be pushed forward to make contact and something in the compartment (possible a circular spring or another leaf type spring similar to what is seen on the lid) is pushing in the opposite direction so the battery won't make contact with the light bulb when the switch is not engaged.

I very much doubt it has a wire in there to connect to the battery since the mechanism in the lid wouldn't work. Below is a common wire connection that connects both contacts of a battery but that requires a different type of switch to allow current to flow through the light bulb.

It's as you describe in your first paragraph. No wire or even a place for a wire.
Old Aug 3rd 2014, 4:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Except I have to do the wiring thing as Old Sparkles says so it makes contact at the front.
What kind of wire is at the front?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.