Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Old Feb 4th 2015, 3:56 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

We are not amused!
Old Feb 4th 2015, 4:28 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Me too, toffee crisp is my favourite - I just bought 36 from a supplier on Amazon. $12.99 for 12. He says that they'll continue selling for a while until Hershey attacks Amazon and then they will have to kick them out. They are starting their own website. Of course the benefit of Amazon is the free shipping.
Just to make you jealous, I just bought these for A. He needs to be careful in case I eat them before I go back.
Attached Thumbnails Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...-image.jpg  
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Rusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to allRusty Chainsaw is a name known to all

Just read this on Facebook:

Some new facts. The ban on Cadbury includes Canada, and any country in the world exporting. There is a few month changeover period allowing the retailers to sell off what they have. The FDA come in to all these mom and pop stores regularly, and they will be enforcing the ban and seeing any non Cadbury USA as contraband. The fine is $50,000. The issue started because there were many stores carrying the imported chocolate including Wegmans, A&P, Quikchek, Bed bath and beyond, the list goes on with a lot of activity here in the NJ/NY area. And the last thing here is my theory that Hersheys are really needing some press, and a "story" that gets them in every paper in the world on their busiest week of the year. Cadbury's took Hersheys money and ran.
Hopefully it's not a bar to personal imports though, just commercial ones. Do you think it's likely to affect the other chocolates from other manufacturers that these British/Irish retailers sell (Lion Bars, Aeros, etc)?
Old Feb 5th 2015, 10:56 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rusty Chainsaw
Hopefully it's not a bar to personal imports though
I'll be bringing in a suitcase full.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 4:47 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh at one of the comments under the Cupcakes post on Hershey's FB page:

"I'm an American, so I'm confused... Is the pink stuff Pepto-Bismol? Be careful, because Proctor & Gamble might sue you to protect trademarks!"
Old Feb 5th 2015, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully it's not a bar to personal imports though, just commercial ones. Do you think it's likely to affect the other chocolates from other manufacturers that these British/Irish retailers sell (Lion Bars, Aeros, etc)?
Count me sceptical of the veracity of that comment you quoted. It's hardly the FDA's job to enforce Hershey's lawsuit "victory". The FDA has enforced bans of certain imported foods, but that has been on the grounds of their safety vis a vis US laws.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Personal use is probably going to be fine. However, it is possible if you have a suitcase full of chocolate they won't believe it is just for personal use (just like all those identical DVDs you have stuffed in there). Importing as in ordering from a commercial establishment in the UK who ship it too you, would be more risky and likely/possible to get stopped by customs.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Count me sceptical of the veracity of that comment you quoted. It's hardly the FDA's job to enforce Hershey's lawsuit "victory". The FDA has enforced bans of certain imported foods, but that has been on the grounds of their safety vis a vis US laws.
I would have thought FTC, though they may work in tandem.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:31 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
it is possible if you have a suitcase full of chocolate they won't believe it is just for personal use
In my particular case, I can just point them to my posting history.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
In my particular case, I can just point them to my posting history.
There's always an exception. Talking of exceptions, I think you are allowed $800 worth before CBP will make you pay duty.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
There's always an exception. Talking of exceptions, I think you are allowed $800 worth before CBP will make you pay duty.
I cant remember what I wrote on the customs form last year. I THINK I put 200 bucks.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in 7-11 today in Canada and the Creme Eggs are now apparently in some sort of plastic container instead of the foil, kind of looks like an egg shaped planet.

There was wording on the display but for some reason they put the French side out and not the English side (in BC few speak French) so the only word I understood was New.

not sure if its something new, special, or new packaging. They look smaller too.

Not Hershey though as far as I know, says Mondelez.
Old Feb 5th 2015, 11:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I was in 7-11 today in Canada and the Creme Eggs are now apparently in some sort of plastic container instead of the foil, kind of looks like an egg shaped planet.

There was wording on the display but for some reason they put the French side out and not the English side (in BC few speak French) so the only word I understood was New.

not sure if its something new, special, or new packaging. They look smaller too.

Not Hershey though as far as I know, says Mondelez.
Same here and they are even smaller than when they were wrapped in foil.
Old Feb 6th 2015, 12:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

I have become quite addicted to Lindt chocolate, seems like I suddenly find it everywhere. Especially the lovely truffle bar
Old Feb 6th 2015, 12:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have become quite addicted to Lindt chocolate, seems like I suddenly find it everywhere. Especially the lovely truffle bar
Have you tried the white chocolate coconut bar ?
Old Feb 6th 2015, 12:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Have you tried the white chocolate coconut bar ?
No

I will make it my mission to search tomorrow. I have nothing else to do during lunch so I will start then

I will let you know..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.