Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Old Jan 29th 2015, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Originally Posted by Sue
Still loads of people on the Hershey's FB page complaining. This pic about sums it up I think:
True.

Though this is a problem with trademark law that makes companies look worse. If you don't make a fuss over every single time a similar mark is used, the next time someone comes along they can argue that you didn't defend it last time. Could lose the trademark.

That they are doing it in such a ham fisted way at the same time as lots of outcry over recipe changes and everything else doesn't help their PR.
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
Still loads of people on the Hershey's FB page complaining. This pic about sums it up I think:
That page is hilarious. All recent non-Hershey threads were started by Hershey haters, and all replies to Hershey promoted posts are by Hershey haters! I've yet to find a positive comment!
Old Jan 29th 2015, 9:59 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tarkak9
.... Is Hershey's still pissed that they lost out to Kraft (spun into Mondelēz International) with purchasing Cadbury's? But, realistically probably saw this opportunity long ago as a cheap alternative to protect their backdoor than to acquiring their competitor - go after the supplier rather than the manufacturer.
Businesses in UK should boycott carrying Hershey's choc and products ... also go after the importers and stop Hershey's getting into the UK!!

We should create a class action against Hershey's for infringement for using the same thing which comes out of our arses to make their stuff.

Landrover did a similar thing to indy mechanic shops and after market part businesses over copyright and trademark infringement by using either the name (in part of variation) or logo.

So ... if they're arguing that its confusing the customers as to what they're purchasing (which they are obviously stupid in the first place), - just change the wrappers ...............
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...8b61c08ab3.jpg

Its openly admitted that the Cadbury's made under license here (ahem Hershey's) use different ingredients ....
The metal bit made in China but the Plastic Bit made in US, I don't think it was meant to imply the entire thing was made in the US.

Usually on the tag or package it will say something like:

Metal bit made in China

Plastic bit made in US

replace bit with the actual name.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 2:59 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

There is a huge stink in Twitter as well:

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23BoycottHershey&src=typd

I have to say this has really pissed my off. Mainly because Hershey are being a big bully and sneakily implying that Americans are stupid (and us Brit expats as well) because we might confuse our lovely Cadbury stuff with their rubbish
Old Jan 30th 2015, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

A White House petition too now.
Old Jan 30th 2015, 11:52 pm
Forum Regular

MattySD is an unknown quantity at this point

I've just bought the last 13 Toffee Crisps from Fresh & Easy at 4S Ranch in San Diego. They are selling off the affected bars at 99c instead of $1.49.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
I've just bought the last 13 Toffee Crisps from Fresh & Easy at 4S Ranch in San Diego. They are selling off the affected bars at 99c instead of $1.49.

Is toffee crisp a chocolate candy with wafer like cookie inside?

I am just wondering if it's like coffee crisp we have in Canada that Nestle has.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 12:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Is toffee crisp a chocolate candy with wafer like cookie inside?

I am just wondering if it's like coffee crisp we have in Canada that Nestle has.
Not quite - Toffee Crisp doesn't have wafers, just crisp rice, caramel & chocolate - it is similar to 100 grand (but I prefer Toffee Crisp).
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

TheTokenBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by GeoffM
That page is hilarious. All recent non-Hershey threads were started by Hershey haters, and all replies to Hershey promoted posts are by Hershey haters! I've yet to find a positive comment!
I have yet to see anyone speaking up in defence of Hershey and its "chocolate" and even the trolls are silent. How in the name of sanity have Hershey managed to keep up their "chocolate" empire for so long if nobody actually LIKES their product? Unbelievable!
Old Jan 31st 2015, 3:46 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheTokenBrit
I have yet to see anyone speaking up in defence of Hershey and its "chocolate" and even the trolls are silent. How in the name of sanity have Hershey managed to keep up their "chocolate" empire for so long if nobody actually LIKES their product? Unbelievable!
It's laced with heroin.
Old Jan 31st 2015, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

McBadger is on a distinguished road

Here's an interesting post: Cocoa Research Centre in Trinidad hopes to solve global chocolate shortage.

On the other hand, the heartier trees produce big beans and plenty of them. But the cacao, well, it doesn’t taste so great. However, the bulk-chocolate industry (ahem, Hershey’s) has “solved” this problem by overroasting the beans, blending different varieties and then adding a boatload of sugar and vanilla.
Ahem...
Old Jan 31st 2015, 6:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TheTokenBrit
I don't like chocolate enough to defend one company over another. Is Hershey the greatest, no it's not. Is it tolerable to the masses looking for a cheap candy bar, yes it is.

It's not worth defending them over, I have no interest in the company itself and no personal attachments to them or their product.

It's just cheap candy and not much else.

Probably doesn't help Cadbury that they never really marketed the brand in the US from what I can tell beyond the creme egg, to me Cadbury = creme egg at Easter and not much else since the only marketing I can recall ever seeing for that brand was for the creme egg around easter with the clucking rabbit.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 31st 2015 at 6:39 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2015, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Probably doesn't help Cadbury that they never really marketed the brand in the US from what I can tell beyond the creme egg, to me Cadbury = creme egg at Easter and not much else since the only marketing I can recall ever seeing for that brand was for the creme egg around easter with the clucking rabbit.
That is quite deliberate on the part of Hershey - Hershey maintains the agreement it made with Cadbury in 1988 minimally. Providing the minimum inventory levels are adhered to then Hershey has no interest in promoting the brand beyond Caramello and Creme Eggs. It was a terrible deal that most Cadbury staff and Executives (now Mondelez of course) are embarrassed about. They were simply backed into a corner with wholesalers having excessive stock of Cadbury that retailers did not want - Mars and Hershey made sure that Cadbury product was squeezed out by giving incentives and sweeteners to the retailers. Cadbury weren't the only victims of this - they were essentially running a cartel.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattySD
Not quite - Toffee Crisp doesn't have wafers, just crisp rice, caramel & chocolate - it is similar to 100 grand (but I prefer Toffee Crisp).
Me too, toffee crisp is my favourite - I just bought 36 from a supplier on Amazon. $12.99 for 12. He says that they'll continue selling for a while until Hershey attacks Amazon and then they will have to kick them out. They are starting their own website. Of course the benefit of Amazon is the free shipping.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Interestingly Coffee Crisp was a Rowntrees product and Toffee Crisp was a Mackintosh product. They merged and subsequently got taken over by Nestle, hence them now being both Nestle products.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.