Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Old Jan 25th 2015, 3:31 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oh Noes! Chocolate wars...

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
You are both right. Hershey owns the tm and must defend it or risk losing it or having it become generic. The main test on tm infringement is usually two parts. Firstly is it the same product or field of business (with monster cables it usually isn't) then you ask whether there is likely to be confusion for the consumer.

The problem is these are not counterfeit goods neither are they imitators like store brand chocolates trying to imitate the look and feel. They are grey imports. There has been a lot of case law recently on such things. Right of first sale.
There was a case some years ago involving chocolate, except it was Nestle. The court ruled against the grey-market importer.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Terrible Tyke is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesn't matter anyway Kraft, or whatever it's spin off company is called, is systematically destroying the Cadbury brand by cheapening the recipes used for its chocolate bars and introducing their own brand of fake Hershys chocolate for products like Creme Eggs.

Shellshock! Cadbury comes clean on Creme Egg chocolate change | Business | The Guardian

The bastards.
Old Jan 25th 2015, 5:28 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
Never seen it at any of the British Goods shops. If you look on Google or Amazon is it shipped from the UK in glass jars which makes it expensive to ship.
I buy the 500 gram tins.
I have seen Gold Bend for sale but it was expensive.
It is weird what is or isn't imported locally...then again, the big thing locally for the Brazilians is buying up loads of V.S stuff when they visit family and selling it back home because V.S don't have official stores over there, but there are plenty of fake stores selling stuff brought over from the US. If you try buying large quantities of perfume or knickers, over $1K worth, you've got to sign a waiver saying you won't be re-selling it, which is daft as they can't enforce it
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:58 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jan 26th 2015, 1:59 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

what is so stupid is - people are not going to buy Hersheys crap now instead. I mean if you were prepared to fork over multi dollars for imports you are unlikely to say 'ok ill eat cheap earwaxy puke now instead'.

i buy the brit stuff to treat myself. I don't buy Hersheys for myself and will think it would NEVER be a treat to do so.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:08 pm

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
what is so stupid is - people are not going to buy Hersheys crap now instead. I mean if you were prepared to fork over multi dollars for imports you are unlikely to say 'ok ill eat cheap earwaxy puke now instead'.

i buy the brit stuff to treat myself. I don't buy Hersheys for myself and will think it would NEVER be a treat to do so.
I'm not sure why *anyone* buys it to be honest. Even if you never knew any different, it still tastes like vomit.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:24 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

I only found out about this today
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/ny...pond.html?_r=0

Like I'm going to buy that Hershey's rubbish anyway ....

All they are going to do is put some small businesses out of business.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
I only found out about this today
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/24/ny...pond.html?_r=0

Like I'm going to buy that Hershey's rubbish anyway ....

All they are going to do is put some small businesses out of business.
"Yorkie chocolate bars, which infringe on the York peppermint patty"

lolwut?
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Can we still bring it in ourselves though?

What about the traders that work through Amazon - I buy 24 of the small Cadbury Dairy Milk bars at a time from a seller called cawtradinguk. Last order was shipped in less than a week. I have emailed him to see how he is affected but have no response yet. I also buy toffee crisps x 12 from XYZ Mart, along with Roses and Heroes - my absolute fav!
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Can we still bring it in ourselves though?
I would imagine it is resale that is the issue.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
It would seem that Hershey's has exclusive ownership of the US trademark, so yes, it does have a claim against anyone else who would sell products with the same or similar names in the US. Similar packaging also helps Hershey's case.

The legal solution would be for the importer to either (a) rebrand the products as something else or (b) cut a deal with Hershey's, i.e. pay Hershey's some money to license it. I can understand why that's annoying to a customer, but the issue for the trademark owner is pretty unambiguous.
I think that, probably, the big mistake was by Cadbury in the first place - the license to make the chocolate should've stipulated that the same recipe be used.

For example, Dairy Milk:

UK ingredients: Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.

US ingredients: MILK CHOCOLATE ( SUGAR; MILK; CHOCOLATE; COCOA BUTTER; LACTOSE; SOY LECITHIN; PGPR, EMULSIFIER; NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR)

(PGPR = E476)
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I think that, probably, the big mistake was by Cadbury in the first place - the license to make the chocolate should've stipulated that the same recipe be used.

For example, Dairy Milk:

UK ingredients: Milk, sugar, cocoa butter, cocoa mass, vegetable fats (palm, shea), emulsifiers (E442, E476), flavourings.

US ingredients: MILK CHOCOLATE ( SUGAR; MILK; CHOCOLATE; COCOA BUTTER; LACTOSE; SOY LECITHIN; PGPR, EMULSIFIER; NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR)

(PGPR = E476)
As has already been pointed out in this thread, at least part of the reformulation is because in the US the UK formulation would not be allowed to call itself chocolate. But I do wonder why Cadbury's signed such an open-ended deal with Hershey's when any Brit would have been able to tell Cadbury's how disgusting Hershey's chocolate is.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
any Brit would have been able to tell Cadbury's how disgusting Hershey's chocolate is.
Makes you wonder if anyone at Cadbury has actually tasted it.

Baffling really.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 3:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Danvers has a reputation beyond repute

But isn't the amount of British chocolate re-sold in the USA piffling? It's hardly going to affect Hershey's market share?

Seems like Hershey is operating under Comcast and all the other most hated US corporations business models. Offer a crap substandard product and instead of improving it, crush all competition through legal channels.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
As has already been pointed out in this thread, at least part of the reformulation is because in the US the UK formulation would not be allowed to call itself chocolate. But I do wonder why Cadbury's signed such an open-ended deal with Hershey's when any Brit would have been able to tell Cadbury's how disgusting Hershey's chocolate is.
Maybe to match the market preferences in the US? Hershey does well in the US so their product is popular.

Hershey had to change in Canada to match local preferences here as the US version wasn't liked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.