Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts relating to autism moved from California Dreamin' thread.

Off topic posts relating to autism moved from California Dreamin' thread.

Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: California Dreamin'

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I'm sorry but you are wrong. At the risk of taking the thread off in a different direction, the only "fact" is that doctors like to think they can diagnose autism at a young age, which has led to the spurious phenomenon of recovery from autism, when there is, in fact, no evidence that properly diagnosed autism can be cured.

The most well publicised case is Jenny McCarthy's son, who she declared had been "cured of autism". The son of one of my colleagues was diagnosed with autism, but has now "made a recovery", and is an above average performer in a regular local school.

There is a very wide spectrum of Autism, and without sounding trite I believe that often it is incorrectly diagnosed in many cases.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:35 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
There is a very wide spectrum of Autism, and without sounding trite I believe that often it is incorrectly diagnosed in many cases.
This is very true. It is also very hard to diagnose at a young age although some traits can be identified absolute diagnosis is near impossible. Intervention should be carried out early but absolute diagnosis shouldn't be as there can be a wide range of reasons for particular behavior traits.

My wife specialized in ABA therapy for autistic children prior to being a SAHM. She said they wouldn't diagnose before the child hit 3 or 4 years.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
No thanks. My daughter is now 11, so the MMR controversy was at it's height when she was due for her vaccines. We read so much information, and worried about this for countless sleepness nights before deciding to have her vaccinated. All for nothing, recent findings have revealed there is no link between the MMR vaccine and autism.
We did as well! It was horrible (at the time) trying to decide whether our daughter should be vaccinated. I had told my husband that I didn't think I could take her (he volunteered to stay home and go) In the end I took and had her vaccinated. She's absolutely fine.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Very true!
Old Nov 13th 2013, 4:49 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Same here. We were in Singapore at the time, and as soon as we declared on a questionnaire that there was a history of autism in the family, the doctors insisted our son had separate jabs. He had the first 2, then we moved here at very short notice, didn't get the 3rd, and arrived stateside to find that the individuals weren't available and he had to then have the full MMR. No problems.

Ref the early diagnosis, I fully accept the position of not being able to truly diagnose till later, but my mother in law spotted that something was wrong with my brother/sister in laws 2nd kid at about 6 months. We looked after him for a couple of days about that time, and agreed with her. She spent the next 4 years trying to convince her son to have him tested, which eventually happened when he was about 5 ( and still not talking or communicating in any meaningful way) and sure enough he was diagnosed autistic. Sometimes family just know. Not that it proves anything, but he didn't have the MMR.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 6:49 am
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic posts relating to autism moved from California Dreamin' thread.

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
that comes under religion. but not for personal beliefs. I was and will always be anti MMR. if you have 2 mins click below, The AutismOne & Generation Rescue 2013 Congressional Panel on my signature.
You should move to Texas. I think you would feel quite at home here.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 10:49 am
Rootbeeraholic

Bink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond reputeBink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Same here. We were in Singapore at the time, and as soon as we declared on a questionnaire that there was a history of autism in the family, the doctors insisted our son had separate jabs. He had the first 2, then we moved here at very short notice, didn't get the 3rd, and arrived stateside to find that the individuals weren't available and he had to then have the full MMR. No problems.

Ref the early diagnosis, I fully accept the position of not being able to truly diagnose till later, but my mother in law spotted that something was wrong with my brother/sister in laws 2nd kid at about 6 months. We looked after him for a couple of days about that time, and agreed with her. She spent the next 4 years trying to convince her son to have him tested, which eventually happened when he was about 5 ( and still not talking or communicating in any meaningful way) and sure enough he was diagnosed autistic. Sometimes family just know. Not that it proves anything, but he didn't have the MMR.
You can definitely spot traits, it's just hard for them to be conclusive so young. They can and should still address the traits though.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 1:16 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic posts relating to autism moved from California Dreamin' thread.

People are being made to feel afraid to bring their children to receive necessary vaccines against actual diseases, which can kill children because of fearmongering by a bunch of ill-informed woo-woos who throw out soundbites with absolutely NO hard, or even slightly soft science behind them. Utterly shameful.

Leave the medicine to the doctors and go join a church where that kind of evidence-ignoring Chicken Licken crap is tolerated.
Old Nov 13th 2013, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goldenstate31
that comes under religion. but not for personal beliefs. I was and will always be anti MMR. if you have 2 mins click below, The AutismOne & Generation Rescue 2013 Congressional Panel on my signature.
Are you anti DTaP too? What about IPV?

Would you be happy for your child to contract diptheria or polio?
Old Nov 13th 2013, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond reputeLbjen has a reputation beyond repute

My son has been diagnosed as autistic but to most people including his therapists, he's just a little quirky. The biggest factor in his diagnosis was his delayed speech, but most of my Indian friends are quick to point out that their sons talked later than mine, but it's not considered to be an issue in India. Here he's a statistic, there he would just be a little behind other kids.

My older brother is also autistic, as well as an aunt of mine, neither had the MMR.

And Jenny McCarthy's son goes to a school for autistic children. She also continues to be very open about injecting all kinds of junk into her own body. People who are desperate for some hope will buy anything, and she has bills to pay.
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

BubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond reputeBubbleChog has a reputation beyond repute

There was never any question of Babychog not getting vaccinated. The real scientific, properly peer reviewed evidence says no link to autism.

A girl I went to school with in Wales is one of those mums with a coffin instead of a child because she "didn't believe in injecting poison" into her baby.

Last edited by BubbleChog; Nov 14th 2013 at 1:05 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Nov 14th 2013, 12:50 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BubbleChog
There was never any question of Babychog not getting vaccinated. The real scientific, properly per reviewed evidence says no link to autism.

A girl I went to school with in Wales is one of those mums with a coffin instead of a child because she "didn't believe in injecting poison" into her baby.
Disgraceful, isn't it?

Misinformation and fearmongering causes more damage than the diseases the vaccinations can prevent. In this day and age, there's no room for that kind of mentality.
Old Nov 15th 2013, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

MellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really niceMellD is just really nice

Not getting children vaccinated also diminishes the 'herd immunity' meaning that people (children/adults) who are unable to get vaccinated continue to be exposed to the diseases. That includes neonates, immunocompromised, vaccine failures and those with limited access to health care. It's not just the mums that are anti-vax that may end up with a child in a coffin because of their choices. Just my two cents.
Old Dec 18th 2013, 11:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.quickmeme.com/p/3vqjb0

"Angry scientist finds an uneducated internet comment and delivers an epic response..."

Just seems to fit the thread...
Old Dec 19th 2013, 1:28 am
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

As a scientist who happens to be vegan, I'm not sure what to make of that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.