Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 12:32 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Typical you don't want to do it but expect others to do it.
There are plenty of people with superiority complex's around the US that would love to do it. Not I though.

My 4 interactions with the law (local police and Georgia State Patrol) since arriving in the US have been uniformly negative. Overbearing, authoritarian jobsworths that have either exercised zero discretion or have literally rolled up and accused me of a crime when I got out of my car and then demanded that I allow them to search it based on their assumptions. I told them to get a warrant. They didn't.

It's no wonder cops here have a bad reputation.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 12:42 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
(all this is meant in jest...tho I was a bit confused when OP's original post was moved and I morphed into the new OP - having originally been at least the 6th or 7th to reply to him)
Thread was in the immi section of the forum, and we try to keep off-topic/non visa related chat to a minimum there. Hence all of the posts that weren't anything to do with the visa side of things were moved in to a thread of their own, yours just happened to be the first of those so became the thread starter.

HTH clarify it.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
There are plenty of people with superiority complex's around the US that would love to do it. Not I though.

My 4 interactions with the law (local police and Georgia State Patrol) since arriving in the US have been uniformly negative. Overbearing, authoritarian jobsworths that have either exercised zero discretion or have literally rolled up and accused me of a crime when I got out of my car and then demanded that I allow them to search it based on their assumptions. I told them to get a warrant. They didn't.

It's no wonder cops here have a bad reputation.
The south seems to have particularly bad cops too, aside from border patrol agents 20+ years ago, for the most part my interactions with police have largely been neutral, but then I was also not in their cross hairs as the troublemaker and my interactions were through work when guests caused trouble, or for mental health crisis.

For US or Canada Customs, I would say 75% of my crossings into the US are neutral to positive with the other 25% being slightly authoritarian to outright prick, CBSA does a little worse, I find coming back to Canada is generally more negative experience and rate them 50/50, Australia Customs was a little anal, but eh I can't rate them on just one visit, worst entry ever was Jaimiaca where the customs person accused me of trying to illegally immigrate there, but she let me in eventually.

While a nice visit Jaimaica was, I found having that trip on my travel record and stamp in my passport created more problems than it was worth both going to the US and to Canada, for a good 3-4 years both US and Canadian officers asked about the trip wanted great detail about it, and not questions about how the beaches and hotel were, so Jaimaica seems to raise red flags for customs people.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Sep 23rd 2021 at 4:51 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

markonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond reputemarkonline1 has a reputation beyond repute

I work closely with the cops we have here at the airport, who are contracted from the local city. Good bunch of lads. I come form a family of cops, ex wife, sister, cousin, grandad, and I considered joining back home. Completely different game over here though (people carrying guns tends to do that). I’ve heard some horror stories from up in the Bay Area. There is no way I would or could do it. It’s easy to criticize cops, but the shit they have to deal with, it’s no surprise that sometimes they may not paint a great picture of themselves. The city cops here are paid less than me, which again blows my mind.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:35 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It’s easy to criticize cops, but the shit they have to deal with, it’s no surprise that sometimes they may not paint a great picture of themselves
I don't buy this at all. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Be the change you want to see in the world and all that.

There is simply no way that I would have ever told that Officer to get a warrant if he had asked nicely. That's totally not me. I respect authority and had nothing to hide. However the way he ran up on me as I got out of my car was just absurd. The first words out of his mouth were 'I KNOW you stole that phone'

I didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

Not 'Sir can I speak with you' - it was totally confrontational. So I responded in kind.

Last edited by civilservant; Sep 23rd 2021 at 5:37 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Once covid restrictions are lifted I would recommend anyone here to take a ride along with a police officer for a shift and see what they deal with. I did and had the following in one shift:
  • backing up the fire department who stumbled upon a shop lifting from home Depot
  • Drug overdose (I witnessed CPR)
  • A very elderly woman who was seeing things in her electrical outlets
  • A car wreck in the rain where the car was wrapped around a lamppost
  • Shots fired where the officer showed me how to get the shotgun out and I quote "if my ass is getting handed to me"
  • A homeless person loitering and causing a disturbance outside of a store
  • Another shoplifting
  • A 5 minute lunch break of fast food
Old Sep 24th 2021, 12:08 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Personally, I don't want to police anywhere but most definitely not in the US. Way too much shooting, on all sides.
You are aware that the vast majority of the US is not the south side of Chicago, right?
Old Sep 24th 2021, 1:15 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
You are aware that the vast majority of the US is not the south side of Chicago, right?
You are aware that armed violence is not confined to the south side of Chicago, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/13/u...ngs-rural.html

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rural-america/

https://gunsandamerica.org/story/20/...n-rural-areas/

https://www.calhealthreport.org/2018...m-study-finds/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...64O3OY20100525

Etc.

And you are further aware that we all share responsibility for what happens in areas that we don't actually live in, right?

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Sep 24th 2021 at 1:20 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

You are aware that armed violence is not confined to the south side of Chicago, right?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/13/u...ngs-rural.html

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...rural-america/

https://gunsandamerica.org/story/20/...n-rural-areas/

https://www.calhealthreport.org/2018...m-study-finds/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...64O3OY20100525

Etc.

And you are further aware that we all share responsibility for what happens in areas that we don't actually live in, right?
Local politics do play a large role in this.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:05 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

What are they paid in the UK these days?
Starting is less than my pension.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:07 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It's a pretty miserable sum.

So are many salaries, of course. But if you don't pay for professionals, you won't get them.
Old Sep 24th 2021, 5:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
It's a pretty miserable sum.

So are many salaries, of course. But if you don't pay for professionals, you won't get them.
While not a cop, my dads school district pension is more per month than the younger generation working in that position today, boggles the mind really, my dad's pension, I can't even make enough when working full-time to get his retirement level income....sad really.