Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Originally Posted by Conrad27
Hi All,

No doubt this has been answered numerous times, so if anyone’s got a useful thread to point me to I would appreciate it

Im a serving police officer here in the U.K. and my Mrs works for the NHS in their IT dept.

My plan is to go and become an officer out there once I’ve obtained citizenship, however, it’s what to do in between…

Has anyone had a similar experience moving from the police in the U.K. to the US and how did people manage finding jobs etc out there to support them?

Connor
Job interview no no
Take a look at the above link - if and when you manage to get a Visa...at least you'd have a leg up on him

Last edited by MMcD; Sep 22nd 2021 at 6:00 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Being an ex UK cop many years ago and looking at the current salaries for cops in the USA these salaries are not very attractive considering the policing climate in the US.

The Miami-Dade Police Department's Annual Salary: Min (probational) $53,554.80 - Max $95,321.20

https://www.miamidade.gov/global/pol...e-officer.page

The average salary for a police officer in Florida is around $57,320 per year. There again this website says $48,063

https://www.indeed.com/career/police...er/salaries/FL

Each force is different and dependent where you are in Florida it will vary. Smaller forces tend to pay less.

https://www.orlando.gov/Public-Safet...Benefits-Guide

https://www.tampa.gov/police/join-officer
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Being an ex UK cop many years ago and looking at the current salaries for cops in the USA these salaries are not very attractive considering the policing climate in the US.

The Miami-Dade Police Department's Annual Salary: Min (probational) $53,554.80 - Max $95,321.20

The average salary for a police officer in Florida is around $57,320 per year. There again this website says $48,063

Each force is different and dependent where you are in Florida it will vary. Smaller forces tend to pay less.

What are they paid in the UK these days?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
What are they paid in the UK these days?
Well according to many UK residents too much for what they do and can you even find a bobby when you need one but I digress

https://www.polfed.org/resources/pay...le-pay-scales/

Now obviously policing in the Uk differs vastly from the US style of policing so taking that into consideration you be the judge based on salaries and if you were a copper where would you sooner police?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:00 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Well according to many UK residents too much for what they do and can you even find a bobby when you need one but I digress

https://www.polfed.org/resources/pay...le-pay-scales/

Now obviously policing in the Uk differs vastly from the US style of policing so taking that into consideration you be the judge based on salaries and if you were a copper where would you sooner police?
Personally, I don't want to police anywhere but most definitely not in the US. Way too much shooting, on all sides.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Personally, I don't want to police anywhere but most definitely not in the US. Way too much shooting, on all sides.
Typical you don't want to do it but expect others to do it.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:51 pm

Default Re: Off topic posts re: policing in US v UK

Typical you don't want to do it but expect others to do it.

If nobody at all wanted to be a cop, that would be an interesting situation.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If nobody at all wanted to be a cop, that would be an interesting situation.
I can think of many other professions like undertakers, long distance drivers, doctors etc etc
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 8:34 pm
Just Joined

Conrad27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MMcD
Job interview no no
Take a look at the above link - if and when you manage to get a Visa...at least you'd have a leg up on him
well now, that’s an interesting reply to an interview question. 😂 we will see how I get on, being “Lancastrian” I’m assuming you’re from my neck of the woods, up north!
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:00 pm

I can think of many other professions like undertakers, long distance drivers, doctors etc etc
Sure. I suppose my point was that some people do want to do them.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 9:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sure. I suppose my point was that some people do want to do them.
Yes they do but in particular Coppers seem to get the most abuse just for doing their job and being tarnished with the same brush as the bad cops. Banter I can deal with but some just hate them but yet cry out for their assistance when something happens to them. Don't we have any used car sales people and lawyers on here that could lighten the Coppers load?
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:06 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't seem too bad.

When adjusted for exchange rate Vancouver Police are not too much further off in Canada. Of course its OT where they can rake in the $$$

$71,908 CAD$ to 102,000 CAD (56,000 US$ to 80,000 US) Maimi is cheaper too, although I don't know what the violent crime vs the 2 are but I suspect Miami is more violent.

Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Considered a complete career change to LEO. My wife won't let me.
Old Sep 22nd 2021, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conrad27
well now, that’s an interesting reply to an interview question. 😂 we will see how I get on, being “Lancastrian” I’m assuming you’re from my neck of the woods, up north!
"J'accuse"

I plead not guilty:

1) I'm not the "Thread Starter" ( Immoderate measures by Mods -> Moderate confusion -> Loss of the thread of the thread )
2) Am not even a Brit - much less a Lancastrian

and now.....

(all this is meant in jest...tho I was a bit confused when OP's original post was moved and I morphed into the new OP - having originally been at least the 6th or 7th to reply to him)
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 1:04 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
"J'accuse"

I plead not guilty:

1) I'm not the "Thread Starter" ( Immoderate measures by Mods -> Moderate confusion -> Loss of the thread of the thread )
2) Am not even a Brit - much less a Lancastrian

and now.....

(all this is meant in jest...tho I was a bit confused when OP's original post was moved and I morphed into the new OP - having originally been at least the 6th or 7th to reply to him)
I think he intended to respond to Former Lancastrian’s post and “missed”!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.