Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off Topic Posts Moved From US Immigration Forum

Wikiposts

Off Topic Posts Moved From US Immigration Forum

Old Apr 20th 2016, 11:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic Posts Moved From US Immigration Forum

Originally Posted by themadpooper
Clearly, there is something wrong with having opinions that don't fall neatly into line with the general consensus of a thread, this thread is evidence of that. When I dared to suggest Americans tend to confuse the English accent with an Australian one was another example. I recalled you took offense at what I had said, presumably out of pride of your northern accent. After you insisted I was wrong, numerous people followed up my comments with experiences that confirmed what I had said was actually right but you still weren't having any of it because it hadn't personally happened to you. ....
My issues with your post were twofold, both of which you have ignored despite my explaining them previously: (i) the sweeping generalization that all/everyone is commonly mistaken for being Australian - many are, and the phenomenon has been discussed a number of times previously, but your sweeping generalization that this affects all British expats in the US is incorrect, and (ii) your patronizing attitude ("I feel sorry for ....") is unnecessary, it almost looks like you're trying to piss people off.
..... As for what I recently posted about immigration, I think many Americans born and raised would be in disbelief immigrants are entitled to a green card and eventual citizenship after the abrupt end of a 1 year marriage. Some might also question the lack of assimilation of said individual, who, by their own admission, had never worked in the US, had no friends in the country and couldn't drive, all of which, when combined, suggest dependency issues and someone who probably shouldn't be entitled to immigration benefits. These were valid opinions but according the thread I intimated them on, were not allowed
As I said, they are perfectly valid opinions which you are free to discuss in The Trailer Park, but aren't the basis for giving advice in the Immigration and Visa forums.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 21st 2016 at 12:06 am.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 12:35 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

As for what I recently posted about immigration, I think many Americans born and raised would be in disbelief immigrants are entitled to a green card and eventual citizenship after the abrupt end of a 1 year marriage. Some might also question the lack of assimilation of said individual, who, by their own admission, had never worked in the US, had no friends in the country and couldn't drive, all of which, when combined, suggest dependency issues and someone who probably shouldn't be entitled to immigration benefits. These were valid opinions but according the thread I intimated them on, were not allowed
You are quick to assume and quick to voice your personal opinion on what you view as the unfairness of the US immigration system. While you are entitled to your opinions, voicing your dissatisfaction of the system and then telling others that many Americans who would be just as dissatisfied as you are, because a foreigner gains a green card through marriage to a USC and then is allowed to retain that card when the marriage breaks down, should not 1) be posted on the immigration forum but rather in the Trailer Park section as the US forums which was setup nearly 20 years to assist others with paperwork through collective experience are not for causing discomfort and imitation of those seeking help and 2) assume to speak for others.

FYI, those who gain their residency based on marriage to a USC, have to be vetted to gain said card. If it is gained before the second anniversary of the marriage, the green card is conditional, meaning only that the recipient has to prove to the USCIS that the marriage was entered in good faith and that the spouses had commingled their lives financially and socially in order to have the conditions removed regardless of the marriage's continued viability or after demise. Historically many USC have married immigrants who they contacted initially through mail order catalogues or foreign dating services setup in Russia or the Philippines. In many cases both the USC and the foreign spouse were used for purposes other than what the visa was intended. Physical or mental abuse of a foreign spouse should not be tolerated and these who have suffered should not be denied continued residency. Hence the USCIS has set in place the need to remove conditions and the VAWA.

If you have gained naturalization, then use your rights to vote for people who will overturn these laws/regulations and setup ones that you 'approve' of.

As a born and raised American, I don't want you to speak for me. From the reading of the news, forums, speaking with friends, family, co-workers, etc., the thing those Americans dislike is the illegal immigrant who is occasionally given the means to wipe their illegal status clean and become residents while so many have used the system that is in place to gain legal status in the US.

I'm not a Brit and I will let other Brits speak on the subject of humour and sarcasm.

The US immigration forums are not a free for all. Take your opinions and either voice them here in the Trailer Park or, if you are strong enough, go to the Take It Outside forum and have a go.

Last edited by Rete; Apr 21st 2016 at 2:34 am.
Old Apr 21st 2016, 2:24 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

You appear to have a chip on your shoulder because I questioned your advice about Austin. As I told you in that thread, just because your experience of something or somewhere has worked out, it doesn't mean it will work out for someone else
Not a chip ,just correct information to give to someone just arriving in the USA and with no credit history or ssn.
Again, the post in question was in the main forum for people who need correct information when arriving. The person in question would have been unable to get a cellphone service based on your information.