Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Off Topic posts moved from The Little Things thread

Off Topic posts moved from The Little Things thread

Old Mar 31st 2020, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

ss120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond reputess120396 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The little things.

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Since the end of year/course exams have all been cancelled and yet the universities will still accept students - managing to find other ways of assessing them - I am sincerely hoping that exams are a thing of the past. The stress my kids have been through due to them has been horrendous.
Universities already make admissions decisions based on incomplete grades senior year - mostly based on exams people have already taken before. I don't see how this would lead to the elimination of exams. In the UK where, unlike the US, basically your entire performance in a course is determined by the end of year exams, people are freaking out. GCSE and A-level exams have been cancelled. Kids now going to be assessed by prior performance on mock exams they had no idea would mean anything. If anything this might lead to more exams and coursework throughout the year in countries where that is not the norm.

And NOT a little thing but maybe the people in the "frontlines" will be given as much money as defence?
The federal government already spends way more on healthcare than it does on the military. And that's before you throw in state spending - which is tilted even more towards healthcare vs. defense than the federal budget. Anyway this whole thing strikes me as poor/nonexistent pandemic preparation strategies in Western countries, rather than underfunding.

And definitely NOT a little thing but having listed to Cuomo talking about how he plans to make the NY hospital system work together, maybe, just maybe we will see the health system change. Not to mention the health insurance companies going bust.
I don't see how any of this would lead to major healthcare reform or the demise of insurance companies. I'm all for health reform that lowers costs, but I don't think that would help in a situation like this. The countries with public healthcare systems are having issues with ventilator and bed shortages just like everyone else. And by some measures the US is more prepared, with more ICU beds per capita than most other countries (though still far too few to weather the virus without social distancing).

Last edited by ss120396; Mar 31st 2020 at 2:58 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 12:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Because nowhere in the world has been been going through summer whilst COVID has been a thing... Good to know the southern hemisphere doesn't exist for some.
What I have noticed is most of the tropical countries, ie the Caribbean and Africa (with the exception of South Africa) have extremely low rates....Being of Jamaican descent, I have been watching Jamaica like a hawk and at present it has around 38 cases with 2 deaths....
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 5:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat096 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by AlienUk
What I have noticed is most of the tropical countries, ie the Caribbean and Africa (with the exception of South Africa) have extremely low rates....Being of Jamaican descent, I have been watching Jamaica like a hawk and at present it has around 38 cases with 2 deaths....
44 now, didn't record first case until 9th of march...

They are just much earlier in the game, the same with most of the African countries, the exponential growth is starting to bear out.

So certainly doesn't look like being a 'tropical country' helps at all.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:26 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Off Topic posts moved from The Little Things thread

So one of the Republican Representatives from Texas, who is a coronavirus denier and mask sceptic, has, surprise, surprise, been diagnosed with covid-19. Unsurprisingly, since this news broke he has posited that he might have caught the virus because he was, on occasion, wearing a mask.

A Texas congressman who is often seen around the Capitol without a mask has tested positive for coronavirus.

Republican Louie Gohmert was due to fly with President Donald Trump to Texas on Wednesday and was routinely tested as part of White House travel protocol.

Mr Gohmert was pictured mingling with other officials on Tuesday during a hearing on Capitol Hill while not wearing a mask or socially distancing.
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pulaski
So one of the Republican Representatives from Texas, who is a coronavirus denier and mask sceptic, has, surprise, surprise, been diagnosed with covid-19. Unsurprisingly, since this news broke he has posited that he might have caught the virus because he was, on occasion, wearing a mask.

A Texas congressman who is often seen around the Capitol without a mask has tested positive for coronavirus.

Republican Louie Gohmert was due to fly with President Donald Trump to Texas on Wednesday and was routinely tested as part of White House travel protocol.

Mr Gohmert was pictured mingling with other officials on Tuesday during a hearing on Capitol Hill while not wearing a mask or socially distancing.
Wow...how'd he manage to snare an imaginary virus with his mask?
Old Jul 29th 2020, 10:31 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlienUk
Wow...how'd he manage to snare an imaginary virus with his mask?
He'll be alright, after all it's just a little flu-like bug.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

He'll be alright, after all it's just a little flu-like bug.
Can you link to some article where he blames it on wearing a mask? I'd love to see that!
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 10:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Can you link to some article where he blames it on wearing a mask? I'd love to see that!
The article is in Pulaski's previous post.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

He also gave an interview in which he pondered whether his mask was to blame for infecting him.

"I can't help but wonder if by keeping a mask on and keeping it in place, I might have put some germs - some virus - on to the mask and breathed it in," he told Texas station KETK.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53588843
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks! Amazing ...
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:20 pm
Banned

The Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond reputeThe Mirror has a reputation beyond repute

So one of the Republican Representatives from Texas, who is a coronavirus denier and mask sceptic, has, surprise, surprise, been diagnosed with covid-19.
And Herman Cain passing away from the virus didn't exactly ruin my day either
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 6:45 pm

@Steerpike

Which is exactly the same article (same URL) I had post a linked to, ... and this was pointed out above by @moneypenny20.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

@Steerpike

Which is exactly the same article (same URL) I had post a linked to, ... and this was pointed out above by @moneypenny20.
Obviously I missed it. Some people use underline here in posts for emphasis, which is also the universal indicator for a url link. I often find myself clicking on the underlined text only to realize it's just underlined for emphasis! In this case, I must have assumed it was underlined for emphasis. Looks rather obvious now