NY Drivers License

Old Feb 18th 2014, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

AndFinally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default NY Drivers License

Hello All,

I have a full British license and I'm wondering what the best way (read quickest way) to get my NY license without giving up my British one?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:37 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NY Drivers License

I got my first US license while living in New York. The NY DMV has no interest in your British licence in any event, so just tuck that away safely when you've got your NY license. You need to take the compulsory classroom education, and book for a road test.

If I remember correctly, per the law you only have 30 days to get a local license in NY. That might be impractical, but in good faith you should get started on the process ASAP. You don't have to do the road test locally, and after being offered a road test in White Plains three months in the future I looked at testing centers further north and west until I found a test date the following week in Herkimer.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 18th 2014 at 10:28 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I got my first US license while living in New York. The NY DMV has no interest in your British licence in any event, so just tuck that away safely when you've got your NY license. You need to take the compulsory classroom education, and book for a road test.
Thanks. Out of curiosity, do I need a US license? I know in the UK you're supposed to get a UK one after 12 months. For ID I can always get a State ID card instead.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 9:44 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndFinally
Thanks. Out of curiosity, do I need a US license? I know in the UK you're supposed to get a UK one after 12 months. For ID I can always get a State ID card instead.
I edited/ expanded my post above, but unless you don't drive (at all, even a rental car) you absolutely need a drivers license.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

As you are no longer resident in the UK, that license is of dubious validity. As you are now resident in NY you should get either a State ID card or if you intend doing any driving, a NY drivers license.
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:21 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Out of curiosity, do I need a US license?
Only if you plan to drive in the USA.

Rene
Old Feb 18th 2014, 10:54 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
As you are no longer resident in the UK, that license is of dubious validity. As you are now resident in NY you should get either a State ID card or if you intend doing any driving, a NY drivers license.
Yes, you do need one or the other. Everyone you talk to will ask you for ID (especially when you're new to the country), and the drivers license or non-driver state ID card is the ID most are happiest with. They're easiest to carry in your wallet too, rather than faffing about with a passport for ID.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:20 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I edited/ expanded my post above, but unless you don't drive (at all, even a rental car) you absolutely need a drivers license.
Not if you're a student and will be in the state less than 12 months.
Old Feb 19th 2014, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Bob
Not if you're a student and will be in the state less than 12 months.
Correct, but he isn't, he has an L1-A visa.

So finally after 3 years of lurking on this forum, lots of false starts, 3 different immigration attorneys - I finally have an L1-A Visa in my passport. .....
Old Feb 19th 2014, 3:04 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Correct, but he isn't, he has an L1-A visa.
Good for him. He didn't mention it in the first post and I'm not going to go all stalkery to find out his history
Old Feb 19th 2014, 11:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks to everyone for the tips.

I've signed up for some lessons and the 5 hour classroom exercise, I figure I'll get that over and done with at the weekend.