Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:42 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NTSB Trying To Ban All Driver Cell-Phone Use

I'm all for the ban. I've witnessed far too much stupidity on the roads over here to think otherwise. A car traveling at speeds of 40mph upwards is too potentially deadly of a weapon to be operated one handedly by some clueless twirp who personally, I wouldn't even trust pushing a shopping cart.

When you're driving, your focus needs to be on the road and only on the road. If you can't manage that, piss off and take the bus in future until you learn to accept that the privilege of driving a car comes with responsibility, get it?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:45 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a driver watching a video the other day on I-45. We overtook this big sedan, and as we went past my wife saw it - I thought she must be mistaken, so I moved over, slowed a little, let him overtake, then passed him again. Sure enough, he had 2 headrest videos for the kids in the back, and 2 screens on the front sunvisors. He even had his seat reclined waaay back, presumably for better viewing! I couldn't tell if he was on the phone as well though......
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready
I'm all for the ban. I've witnessed far too much stupidity on the roads over here to think otherwise. A car traveling at speeds of 40mph upwards is too potentially deadly of a weapon to be operated one handedly by some clueless twirp who personally, I wouldn't even trust pushing a shopping cart.

When you're driving, your focus needs to be on the road and only on the road. If you can't manage that, piss off and take the bus in future until you learn to accept that the privilege of driving a car comes with responsibility, get it?
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

cpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of lightcpe111 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
I wish I could remember the source, but as I recall an article I read in the local fishwrap cited a D.O.T. study showing that hands free was still less safe than talking to a passenger. Something about a passenger being another set of eyes even when the driver was involved in conversation. The D.O.T. may be the NTSB>
This is the study http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCog...ssment2003.pdf

This is a summary of cellphone use in a vehicle .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_...driving_safety
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Saw a driver watching a video the other day on I-45. We overtook this big sedan, and as we went past my wife saw it - I thought she must be mistaken, so I moved over, slowed a little, let him overtake, then passed him again. Sure enough, he had 2 headrest videos for the kids in the back, and 2 screens on the front sunvisors. He even had his seat reclined waaay back, presumably for better viewing! I couldn't tell if he was on the phone as well though......
Yep, seen the video on the visors. I thought was illegal, if driver can see DVD, video screen.

Absolutely crazy.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think we need a scientific report, a AAA road test, a survey or any TV documentary, to know, that driving while talking on a cell phone, even more dangerous messaging, is way more dangerous, then driving with 2 hands on the wheel & no distractions.

That includes, reading a book, newspaper or watching a movie.

As a minimum, cell phones- FULL hands free, allowed & ban any kind of messaging.

NO ONE, can type a message, check the spelling, drive with one or no hands & be safe. Yes we have all seen the one using their legs to steer.

I live in Florida, pretty much a free for all state, we dont even have vehicle inspections, cars are doing 30mph in a 45mph zone, can't keep a straight line, as you pass them messaging, drinking 1/2 gal soda & swerving. Even on the Freeway 70 mph, some idiot zig zagging @ 80 mph, while typing or talking. DISTRACTION!!!!!!!!

Reg. Frank R.

Last edited by frrussre; Apr 12th 2012 at 5:15 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:50 pm
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frrussre
I don't think we need a scientific report, a AAA road test, a survey or any TV documentary, to know, that driving while talking on a cell phone, even more dangerous messaging, is way more dangerous, then driving with 2 hands on the wheel & no distractions.

That includes, reading a book, newspaper or watching a movie.

As a minimum, cell phones- FULL hands free, allowed & ban any kind of messaging.

NO ONE, can type a message, check the spelling, drive with one or no hands & be safe. Yes we have all seen the one using their legs to steer.

I live in Florida, pretty much a free for all state, we dont even have vehicle inspections, cars are doing 30mph in a 45mph zone, can't keep a straight line, as you pass them messaging, drinking 1/2 gal soda & swerving. Even on the Freeway 70 mph, some idiot zig zagging @ 80 mph, while typing or talking. DISTRACTION!!!!!!!!

Reg. Frank R.
I recently moved (escaped) from Florida. While drivers here in Boston are absolute wankers, nothing compares to the wild knuckle ride I went through every day driving in South FL. I saw awful shit on the roads several times a day, reckless driving, weaving in & out, texting while driving and red light running.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:53 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

I saw awful shit on the roads several times a day, reckless driving, weaving in & out, texting while driving and red light running.
And that was just the local police.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 7:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
And that was just the local police.
No kidding! Miami-Dade police drive as badly as the locals. Utterly useless at traffic enforcement. The only law enforcement I saw doing their job somewhat were FHP.
Old Apr 13th 2012, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

I recently moved (escaped) from Florida. While drivers here in Boston are absolute wankers, nothing compares to the wild knuckle ride I went through every day driving in South FL. I saw awful shit on the roads several times a day, reckless driving, weaving in & out, texting while driving and red light running.
Florida, probably the WORST. We call the I-95, especially south of Ft. Lauderdale Nascar Racing. 2.0 am its, Motor Bikes doing wheelies & then doing 150+ mph. Suped up racers, drag racing.

Turn signals, optional.

Reg. Frank R.