Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

NROTC as a dual UK/US citizen

NROTC as a dual UK/US citizen

Old Mar 25th 2019, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold
Default NROTC as a dual UK/US citizen

My son, a junior in high school, wants to apply for a scholarship through the NROTC (Naval Reserve Officer Training Corps) to attend university. Upon reading up on the requirements I've learned he will have to renounce his British citizenship - by decent through me (he's a US citizen as he was born here) to not only qualify for the scholarship, but to also join the military, period. This has come as a bit of a shock, and a disappointment as we've just got him his first British passport which he was excited to finally get. I've also read that he can reapply for his citizenship after completing his studies, and after being offered a commission. Has anyone had experience with this? I'm in contact with the university of his choice, and his Captain at his HS in which he's already in the Junior ROTC program. I'm finding varying and confusing information on this requirement, even on official government sites. If there's anyone out there that has experience/info on this I would love to hear it. Thanks.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 5:27 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NROTC as a dual UK/US citizen

If he wants to join the military, and there is a potential that he may seek a commission, then he really needs to renounce his citizenship I'm afraid. He's going to have a problem with getting a decent level Security Clearance if he has ties to a foreign country, even an ally. Without that, he will be very limited in the capacity he can serve.

You might note that pretty much all jobs with the US Government require you to be a US Citizen, and that's without reeking a clearance level.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Melly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to beholdMelly is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: NROTC as a dual UK/US citizen

The timing of all this just stinks. We have received his British passport and plan on giving it to him next week on his 17th birthday. Then, in just a few short months he will have to renounce his citizenship as he applies for a scholarship. Even if he applies to an ROTC program without a scholarship, as you say, if he intends going into the military or work for the government, he will have to renounce anyway. I didn't see this coming. He's so excited to get his British passport. :-(
Old Mar 25th 2019, 9:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Under these circumstances a renunciation would not be permanent from the perspective of the British Government. So when his period of service ends, or if he decides not to go ahead with a military career, he would be free to "renew" his British citizenship at that time.
Old Mar 26th 2019, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Under these circumstances a renunciation would not be permanent from the perspective of the British Government. So when his period of service ends, or if he decides not to go ahead with a military career, he would be free to "renew" his British citizenship at that time.
This is good to know. Thank you.