Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Now its School Bathrooms

Now its School Bathrooms

Old May 15th 2016, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Now its School Bathrooms

Originally Posted by Leslie
I blame religion for the suppression of this information which has led to fear and loathing of those who are different. Religion has also given us (or at least justified) slavery, patriarchy, misogyny, and many other miserable mandates that have ruined the lives of innocent people for millennium. Why modern society still lets these barbarians rule our lives is a mystery to me.
It's odd, isn't it - you'd think religious people would be the first in line to embrace situations where people are saying 'I know I have no actual proof, and that it's a thought/feeling in my head that I'm trying to describe to you, who cannot feel this same thing, but I just KNOW it to be real'.

I see it as identical, honestly - I'm not religious but accept that others believe in their different version of reality and want to live their life accordingly; I'm not transgender but accept that others believe in their different version of reality and want to live their life accordingly, etc etc. You can't tell one group of people that what they deeply believe to be truth, isn't, and then give the other group a free pass on proving their reality (and paying their taxes).
Old May 15th 2016, 2:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
It's odd, isn't it - you'd think religious people would be the first in line to embrace situations where people are saying 'I know I have no actual proof, and that it's a thought/feeling in my head that I'm trying to describe to you, who cannot feel this same thing, but I just KNOW it to be real'.

I see it as identical, honestly - I'm not religious but accept that others believe in their different version of reality and want to live their life accordingly; I'm not transgender but accept that others believe in their different version of reality and want to live their life accordingly, etc etc. You can't tell one group of people that what they deeply believe to be truth, isn't, and then give the other group a free pass on proving their reality (and paying their taxes).
That's a wonderful analogy.

Of course, these people not only deny individual beliefs and preferences, they also deny science. So, for religion, it's a win-win.

Many of the transgendered folks that are transitioning today, especially those that are older, may have actual scientific proof though. It was quite a thing for quite a while, when a baby was born with ambiguous genitalia, for the parents and doctors to "choose" which gender while the baby was still in infancy. Surgical procedures were performed, a sex was chosen for the birth certificate, appropriate (pink or blue) clothing and toys (guns or dolls) and all of the medical evidence was sealed and forgotten. Except it didn't always work.

Last edited by Leslie; May 15th 2016 at 2:33 pm.
Old May 15th 2016, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Many of the transgendered folks that are transitioning today, especially those that are older, may have actual scientific proof though. It was quite a thing for quite a while for, when a baby was born with ambiguous genitalia, for the parents and doctors to "choose" which gender while the baby was still in infancy. Surgical procedures were performed, a sex was chosen for the birth certificate, appropriate (pink or blue) clothing and toys (guns or dolls) and all of the medical evidence was sealed and forgotten. Except it didn't always work.
Good point.

The further along the path society moves in seeing what is defined as normal human biology/ behavior as a spectrum rather than Us-and-Other, the happier it makes me. Think of how the view of autistic disorders has changed dramatically to give an explanation for those people we all know in life who were previously dismissed as weird, eccentric, a bit 'off'. I'm sure notions of gender and sexuality will go the same way, that we'll come to understand that it's all far less binary than we'd previously assumed, and that 'different' doesn't mean 'wrong'. It's a very exciting time to be alive.
Old May 15th 2016, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Er, well I'm religious. I can only speak for CofE Protestant Christianity but I find my fellow Christians broadly fall into two camps. One places importance on the teachings of Jesus eg "feed the hungry, clothe the poor, visit those in prison, mind your own business about other peoples sins". Others tend to follow the more authoritarian aspects and like the rules and dos and don'ts of St Paul and his letters. It splits very roughly along party political lines in the UK (in the churches that I have attended anyway).
Old May 15th 2016, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Er, well I'm religious. I can only speak for CofE Protestant Christianity but I find my fellow Christians broadly fall into two camps. One places importance on the teachings of Jesus eg "feed the hungry, clothe the poor, visit those in prison, mind your own business about other peoples sins". Others tend to follow the more authoritarian aspects and like the rules and dos and don'ts of St Paul and his letters. It splits very roughly along party political lines in the UK (in the churches that I have attended anyway).
Oops, apologies - there's me making sweeping generalizations in a thread about embracing individual differences! Not being part of a religious community myself, I do tend to only have exposure to the more extreme viewpoints as represented by the media, who're largely doing it to goad the masses and drive their viewing figures/ ad revenue.
Old May 15th 2016, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

No need to apologise, the more extreme pronouncements have me cringing too. I can't abide the "burn the sinners!!" approach of people who claim to follow someone who said the exact opposite ("let he who is without sin cast the first stone"). I'm also a scientist, so that can confuse too.

In truth, we all pick the bits of the bible we like best and gloss over the troublesome chapters. As an individual, I've found that the best way to turn people off religion is to be all sanctimonious about it. I don't hide my faith and am happy to talk about it if people want to ask, but I leave the judging of other people to an authority higher than me
Old May 15th 2016, 4:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by yellowroom
but I leave the judging of other people to an authority higher than me
You called?
Old May 15th 2016, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

A manufactured issue designed to distract us from the real issues of the day !
Old May 15th 2016, 10:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm irritated by the way the debate has been framed around 'protecting the women, the poor little delicates'. It's in the same aggravating category as the fathers joking about threatening their daughters' boyfriends with shotguns, that we had on the other thread.

I've spent more than 3 decades studying half a dozen different martial arts and the last time a man tried to assault me (in a pub in the UK, in my teens), I broke his nose - the notion that I need elderly white men thousands of miles away to use a magic piece of paper to protect my virtue from a (totally imaginary) threat to further their political aims, is ludicrous and infantalizing.

I deeply resent being my mere existence being used as a pawn in their attention-seeking games. I'm normally very live-and-let-live and insensitive to (what I often consider to be imagined) slights and people's fussing about trigger words, but since I've moved here it's like the Republican Party is DETERMINED to make me into an ardent feminist.
My partner and I were talking about this yesterday in the context of restraining orders. I was reading the court transcript of an appeal of an order and we were discussing how the magistrate took all of the woman's statements at face value and dismissed what the man said "so as to protect her from the male partner". I had said that while there certainly are violent men out there there are also men who need protection from abusive partners. It's disingenuous to both sexes to assume that women somehow need to be protected from men.
Old May 16th 2016, 5:56 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

What are little Sandra and her friends in 4th grade going to think when little Johnny who feels and thinks more like a girl suddenly starts to use their facility ? Are kids ready for this kind of thing? Or do the powers that be believe that kids these days don't have enough crap to deal with at school.
Old May 16th 2016, 8:06 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
What are little Sandra and her friends in 4th grade going to think when little Johnny who feels and thinks more like a girl suddenly starts to use their facility ? Are kids ready for this kind of thing? Or do the powers that be believe that kids these days don't have enough crap to deal with at school.
Perhaps little Sandra won't be in the same cubicle as little Johnny so it's not an issue, is it?

Do you have a separate bathroom at home for you and one for your wife? If not, why not?
Old May 16th 2016, 1:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Perhaps little Sandra won't be in the same cubicle as little Johnny so it's not an issue, is it?

Do you have a separate bathroom at home for you and one for your wife? If not, why not?
We actually do. There are just two of us, and two bathrooms. We each have our own, and never use each other's. We each clean and maintain our own, so get to choose our own soap, shampoo, cleaning products etc.
Old May 16th 2016, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dc koop
I got all interested about transgender from our weekend discussion, and spent yesterday watching a couple of documentaries about the history of it throughout the 20th century, and how some modern kids are living with the condition.

Little Johnny isn't going to turn up at school all slugs and snails and puppy dogs' tails, in skater jeans and a T shirt with a dump truck on it, kick a football around the playground, wipe his nose with the back of his hand, then decide to go pee in the girls' bathroom. S/he'll already be presenting as a girl, with long hair and dresses and answering to 'she' and 'her' and have changed her name to Jemima; she'll be thinking of herself as a girl, albeit with an unfortunate penis, and waiting to start hormone treatment as she approaches puberty, and how to pay for surgery once she turns 18.

From the documentaries, other kids were the least of their worries. 'Johnny's a girl now..? Huh, bit weird... *shrug*' You're talking about a group of people who often only have the haziest grasp on reality anyway, and spend a chunk of their waking hours being pirates or dogs.

It all seems horribly difficult and traumatic, and not remotely the way anyone would CHOOSE to be living their life. You'd have to have a colossal paranoia about the occurrence of Munchausen's to be thinking they're all just making it up for attention, from the time they start to speak as toddlers.
Old May 16th 2016, 3:54 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
We actually do. There are just two of us, and two bathrooms. We each have our own, and never use each other's. We each clean and maintain our own, so get to choose our own soap, shampoo, cleaning products etc.
Exactly the same situation with us. My wife has the bathroom in the master bedroom and I have the one off the hallway. She keeps her bathroom stuff on the countertop and I on mine. Like you we each clean our own bathroom.

When our granddaughters are at the house they use my wife's bathroom as it's nice and feminine
Old May 16th 2016, 4:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Because sometimes society gets it wrong. Because society is an ass. Ancient societies (Native Americans come to mind) recognized more than two genders. These societies were not weird or perverted but rather stoic and accepting of nature.
Fortunately these societies did not have the white supremacist male problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.