Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Old Apr 15th 2019, 5:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Heart-breaking pictures on TV. Do hope they can prevent the destruction of this beautiful building.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 5:45 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

I'm with you, NM. It is a beautiful cathedral and having survived since the 12th century, it is hoped that it will survive this fire also.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 6:17 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Based on video the BBC has posted (I don't know how long ago it was taken), it looks to me like the entire roof and spire are unsaveable, and they'll be lucky not to have significant damage to the stonework as it is constructed from limestone, which will decompose when exposed to extreme heat, such as in a fire.

I assume that many of the windows will also be lost, and given the intensity of the roof fire it has to be likely that the fire will spread into the two towers.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 15th 2019 at 6:22 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 6:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Based on video the BBC has posted (I don't know how long ago it was taken), it looks to me like the entire roof and spire are unsaveable, and they'll be lucky not to have significant damage to the stonework as it is constructed from limestone, which will decompose when exposed to extreme heat, such as in a fire.

I assume that many of the windows will also be lost, and given the intensity of the roof fire it has to be likely that the fire will spread into the two towers.
The spire has fallen. Horrible to see it come down.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I visited Norte Dame was in the early 90s.

This is like losing Big Ben, London Bridge and Buckingham palace all combined , because it is going to many years to recreate the artwork on the ceiling, assuming the integrity of the whole structure hasn't been compromised.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:37 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning". "There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."
Old Apr 15th 2019, 7:40 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

It can be rebuilt and restored to what it was. The city of Caen was completely flattened in 1944. Looking around and inside it's churches today you would never have known it
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:08 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by lansbury
A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning". "There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."
I just read that, too. How distressing.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Around 15 minutes ago (4pm EST) it was reported that the roof has collapsed, …. so now the body of the cathedral is filled with burning timbers. I don't see how they can possibly stop it spreading into the towers (if it hasn't done so already) and pretty much destroying the entire structure. Certainly the windows are doomed if not already destroyed.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Took 200 years to build and well more than my life time to restore.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 8:20 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Around 15 minutes ago (4pm EST) it was reported that the roof has collapsed, …. so now the body of the cathedral is filled with burning timbers. I don't see how they can possibly stop it spreading into the towers (if it hasn't done so already) and pretty much destroying the entire structure. Certainly the windows are doomed if not already destroyed.
They just said that on the TV, does look like a lost cause.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if they had sprinklers ?
Old Apr 15th 2019, 9:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Europe has a long history of things getting demolished and rebuilt.
I'm glad I've been in it.
I hope no one is hurt.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 9:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Wonder if they had sprinklers ?

I wondered that...I think they were doing some sort of remodeling.
Maybe installing sprinklers.
Old Apr 15th 2019, 9:19 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Hotscot
I wondered that...I think they were doing some sort of remodeling.
Maybe installing sprinklers.
I doubt it, brings other issues into the equation which I could go into, well not heated and would you want sprinkler leakage issues in there?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.