British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Notre Dame de Paris is Burning (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/notre-dame-de-paris-burning-924182/)

Nutmegger Apr 15th 2019 5:41 pm

Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Heart-breaking pictures on TV. Do hope they can prevent the destruction of this beautiful building.

Rete Apr 15th 2019 5:45 pm

Re: Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

I'm with you, NM. It is a beautiful cathedral and having survived since the 12th century, it is hoped that it will survive this fire also.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 6:17 pm

Based on video the BBC has posted (I don't know how long ago it was taken), it looks to me like the entire roof and spire are unsaveable, and they'll be lucky not to have significant damage to the stonework as it is constructed from limestone, which will decompose when exposed to extreme heat, such as in a fire.

I assume that many of the windows will also be lost, and given the intensity of the roof fire it has to be likely that the fire will spread into the two towers.

Nutmegger Apr 15th 2019 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671320)
Based on video the BBC has posted (I don't know how long ago it was taken), it looks to me like the entire roof and spire are unsaveable, and they'll be lucky not to have significant damage to the stonework as it is constructed from limestone, which will decompose when exposed to extreme heat, such as in a fire.

I assume that many of the windows will also be lost, and given the intensity of the roof fire it has to be likely that the fire will spread into the two towers.

The spire has fallen. Horrible to see it come down.

Boomhauer Apr 15th 2019 7:31 pm

Last time I visited Norte Dame was in the early 90s.

This is like losing Big Ben, London Bridge and Buckingham palace all combined , because it is going to many years to recreate the artwork on the ceiling, assuming the integrity of the whole structure hasn't been compromised.

lansbury Apr 15th 2019 7:37 pm

A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning". "There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."

dc koop Apr 15th 2019 7:40 pm

It can be rebuilt and restored to what it was. The city of Caen was completely flattened in 1944. Looking around and inside it's churches today you would never have known it

Nutmegger Apr 15th 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12671340)
A spokesman for the cathedral said the whole structure was "burning". "There will be nothing left," he said. "It remains to be seen whether the vault, which protects the cathedral, will be affected or not."

I just read that, too. How distressing.

Pulaski Apr 15th 2019 8:18 pm

Around 15 minutes ago (4pm EST) it was reported that the roof has collapsed, …. so now the body of the cathedral is filled with burning timbers. I don't see how they can possibly stop it spreading into the towers (if it hasn't done so already) and pretty much destroying the entire structure. Certainly the windows are doomed if not already destroyed.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 15th 2019 8:19 pm

Took 200 years to build and well more than my life time to restore.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 15th 2019 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12671362)
Around 15 minutes ago (4pm EST) it was reported that the roof has collapsed, …. so now the body of the cathedral is filled with burning timbers. I don't see how they can possibly stop it spreading into the towers (if it hasn't done so already) and pretty much destroying the entire structure. Certainly the windows are doomed if not already destroyed.

They just said that on the TV, does look like a lost cause.

Boomhauer Apr 15th 2019 9:14 pm

Wonder if they had sprinklers ?

Hotscot Apr 15th 2019 9:14 pm

Europe has a long history of things getting demolished and rebuilt.
I'm glad I've been in it.
I hope no one is hurt.

Hotscot Apr 15th 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 12671404)
Wonder if they had sprinklers ?

I wondered that...I think they were doing some sort of remodeling.
Maybe installing sprinklers.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 15th 2019 9:19 pm

Originally Posted by Hotscot (Post 12671406)
I wondered that...I think they were doing some sort of remodeling.
Maybe installing sprinklers.

I doubt it, brings other issues into the equation which I could go into, well not heated and would you want sprinkler leakage issues in there?