Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Notre Dame de Paris is Burning

Originally Posted by Pulaski
On what planet have you been living that you think that politicians have people to stop them saying something stupid? ….. If I have learnt anything in life so far, it is that the opposite seems to be true, most politicians surround themselves with people who encourage the stupidity!
It was more of a moan at hacks who should know better, which is why I stuck Macron out of the way in parentheses. We only need to look to Donald and his water bomb tweet if looking for examples of political stupidity.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:47 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know little about Chemistry but I have been involved in large Insurance Claims, there is no way anybody can accurately asses the damage.They would first need to make the site safe.

I do know that for example the USS Constitution has issues just getting the right wood, I think they have repaired that ship so much that there is nothing original left.

I do not know if this is true but the commentary said there was 52 acres of wood in the construction, sourcing that quality of wood could be an issue.

Begs the question if there are the people with the skill set to do it. To use an analogy a locomotive that ran through where I am cost about $5,000 new 140 years ago, so that should be $150,000 now but you can easily add another 0 on if you wanted to do it now.

I would imagine it would be a $1bn plus project. And I doubt any of us would live long enough to see its completion.

Worryingly the YouTube algorithm put up a link to 9/11, now nothing to suggest that there is a connection but did strike me that it would give those with evil intent ideas.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:48 am
BE Forum Addict

philat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond reputephilat98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
​​​​​​If I were a betting man, taking into account the time of day, I'd say that some tired slob of a workman carelessly chucked away his dog end at the end of his workshift...
Yes I thought workman, dog end, bird nest and breeze. I dont suppose we will ever know what happened. What a disaster.

Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:01 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
…. Worryingly the YouTube algorithm put up a link to 9/11, now nothing to suggest that there is a connection ....
Two towers?
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
I am quite annoyed at various hacks on cable 'news' networks (and apparently even Macron tweeted something) who have said that the facade is still standing so all they've got to do is rebuild the roof, ok the stone may be black, blah, blah, blah.

Do these people not usually get experts in to stop them from saying something stupid? No-one can say whether those walls/facades will be structurally sound until structural engineers get in there and assess the heat damage to the limestone.

For those interested: The timberwork in Notre Dame rose for over 60' above the vaults.

​​​​​​If I were a betting man, taking into account the time of day, I'd say that some tired slob of a workman carelessly chucked away his dog end at the end of his workshift...
Sparks from an angle grinder maybe? I can't see anything that would require welding, unless they needed to weld some ancillary support structure .
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:10 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If they were putting in sprinklers there might have been copper pipe being soldered; if so there should be lots of evidence.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I doubt they would use copper for sprinklers but no mention of the work involving that.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 5:44 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Some idiot with a blow torch as at Windsor castle
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
If they were putting in sprinklers there might have been copper pipe being soldered; if so there should be lots of evidence.
National Post article mentioned part of the restoration was on the roof which is lead from what I gathered from the article, unsure what kinds of tools would be needed to work with lead, but possibly something there that could cause a spark?

Old Apr 16th 2019, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop
It can be rebuilt and restored to what it was. The city of Caen was completely flattened in 1944. Looking around and inside it's churches today you would never have known it
Different time, different methods.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
National Post article mentioned part of the restoration was on the roof which is lead from what I gathered from the article, unsure what kinds of tools would be needed to work with lead, but possibly something there that could cause a spark?
Could be the workmen were using a small torch to melt the lead for the restoration work.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 12:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like more of the interior has survived than anyone could have expected, including wooden pews at ground level and some very large windows. ….. However there are cracks reported in the masonry and it remains to be seen whether any of the stone structure is unstable and/or irreparably damaged.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 1:48 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It looks like more of the interior has survived than anyone could have expected, including wooden pews at ground level and some very large windows. ….. However there are cracks reported in the masonry and it remains to be seen whether any of the stone structure is unstable and/or irreparably damaged.
There were already cracks in the masonry before the fire, and the steeple was already being held up with a brace. Bits of stonework were at great risk of falling off. I hate to think what faces the restorers.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
There were already cracks in the masonry before the fire, and the steeple was already being held up with a brace. Bits of stonework were at great risk of falling off. I hate to think what faces the restorers.
It may be months before the restorers are able to get close, inspecting and assessing the safety of the structure may take weeks, and the fact that the roof is open to the weather may lead to substantial additional damage before the roof can be covered over even temporarily.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It makes one think of the era in which the cathedral was originally constructed, when people would spend their entire lifetime laboring on such a building, often passing their skills from father to son -- and never seeing the completed product. The same can be said of maintaining -- and now saving and restoring -- the great buildings of Europe. If you've got the right skills it is a life-long job and very much a labor of love.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.