British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   Not regretting it anymore!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/not-regretting-anymore-420046/)

franki Jan 19th 2007 11:40 am

Not regretting it anymore!!!

I decided to start a new thread with a more positive title and without (hopefully) any negative posts like the last one.

So...we're all ready! Hubby has his visa. We've booked the shippers. We decided to go with Rinkens as they were the best price and I think Christoph sounds like a real pro. We've also booked flights. 25 days to go. I am very excited now, can't wait to see my family and for them to see my kids and really be a part of their lives, other than just for 2 weeks at a time.

Thankyou all again for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

ladylisa Jan 19th 2007 1:01 pm

Re: Not regretting it anymore!!!

Good luck franki and no you havent done the wrong thing. I have been back since October and am very happy to be back. :D

Sparkle2nite Jan 19th 2007 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa (Post 4301525)
Good luck franki and no you havent done the wrong thing. I have been back since October and am very happy to be back. :D

Safe journey home, take care!

Sparkle

fishfinger Jan 19th 2007 5:16 pm

Hooray! :D You are a bit further ahead then us. DH is arranging interviews with agencies and has one next Tuesday for a job in London so fingers crossed it will go well.

I'd love to be at the stage of booking flights but it looks like DH will go over first, stay with my parents and save up to get a house rented.

Best of luck with the move and keep us posted:)

Heart of gold Jan 19th 2007 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ladylisa (Post 4301525)
I have been back since October and am very happy to be back. :D

It is a great feeling isn't it. :D

Miss Naughty Jan 19th 2007 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by franki (Post 4301205)
I decided to start a new thread with a more positive title and without (hopefully) any negative posts like the last one.

So...we're all ready! Hubby has his visa. We've booked the shippers. We decided to go with Rinkens as they were the best price and I think Christoph sounds like a real pro. We've also booked flights. 25 days to go. I am very excited now, can't wait to see my family and for them to see my kids and really be a part of their lives, other than just for 2 weeks at a time.

Goodluck xxx

TruBrit Jan 19th 2007 8:46 pm

good news, that's what we like to hear....do keep us posted :)

LouiseD Jan 19th 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Franki - am so pleased for you - enjoy!! :)

nonnynoo Jan 20th 2007 2:03 am

Hi, good luck with your move back, I feel the same about family seeing the kids, my little girl was 11 months when we left and now she is a walking and talking 19month old, I cant wait to see there faces at how she has grown. We have the shippers coming on Tuesday and then flying home on the Thursday 25th, only 5 days to go! god I cant wait, best of luck with your move home! :D

LouiseD Jan 20th 2007 6:16 am

Originally Posted by nonnynoo (Post 4303647)
Hi, good luck with your move back, I feel the same about family seeing the kids, my little girl was 11 months when we left and now she is a walking and talking 19month old, I cant wait to see there faces at how she has grown. We have the shippers coming on Tuesday and then flying home on the Thursday 25th, only 5 days to go! god I cant wait, best of luck with your move home! :D

Good luck to you to nonnynoo - bet you just can't wait. Why are you returning if you don't mind me asking?

nonnynoo Jan 20th 2007 8:36 am

Originally Posted by LouiseD (Post 4303950)
Good luck to you to nonnynoo - bet you just can't wait. Why are you returning if you don't mind me asking?

Hi,

My husband has struggled with work, he was either really busy or nothing, plus the pay was not so good especially compared to the cost of living.

We also never knew what we had until it was gone, we had such a lovely life in UK, great family, great friends, lovely house, good income and all the rest we just stupidly thought it would be great idea! how wrong were we!

I am fed up with crap clothes, shoes, food selection etc etc!

Yes we have a lovely house and pool and all that but no good when its just the four of us on our own!

I want my children to know what a great famliy they have back home and they will never know with the odd two week holiday here and there! and I also want my family and friends to be there for all the special things that will happen in their lifes!

For me some nice beaches and nice weather is not enough!

Sorry to ramble :eek:

5 days and counting

nonnynoo :thumbup:

LouiseD Jan 20th 2007 10:25 am

Originally Posted by nonnynoo (Post 4304174)
Hi,

My husband has struggled with work, he was either really busy or nothing, plus the pay was not so good especially compared to the cost of living.

We also never knew what we had until it was gone, we had such a lovely life in UK, great family, great friends, lovely house, good income and all the rest we just stupidly thought it would be great idea! how wrong were we!

I am fed up with crap clothes, shoes, food selection etc etc!

Yes we have a lovely house and pool and all that but no good when its just the four of us on our own!

I want my children to know what a great famliy they have back home and they will never know with the odd two week holiday here and there! and I also want my family and friends to be there for all the special things that will happen in their lifes!

For me some nice beaches and nice weather is not enough!

Sorry to ramble :eek:

5 days and counting

nonnynoo :thumbup:

You sound in a similar position to us - my husband hasn't had much work either - he's a brickie and hasn't worked a full week more than half a dozen times this year - everything costs so much too here. Heartbreaking isn't it? We came with the intention of staying forever, full of hope and enthusiasm and one year on we are packing up and going home. We're hopefully leaving 7th Feb. I really wish you all the very best and hope that you can pick up where you left off :)

nonnynoo Jan 20th 2007 10:40 am

Originally Posted by LouiseD (Post 4304361)
You sound in a similar position to us - my husband hasn't had much work either - he's a brickie and hasn't worked a full week more than half a dozen times this year - everything costs so much too here. Heartbreaking isn't it? We came with the intention of staying forever, full of hope and enthusiasm and one year on we are packing up and going home. We're hopefully leaving 7th Feb. I really wish you all the very best and hope that you can pick up where you left off :)

Hi, my hubbie is a brickie too, it is hard as you think it will all be great and then it all goes pear shaped!. But I am looking forward to getting home now and getting on with my life!. I have spent far too much time on Australia just wish now I had done the travelling thing when I was 18 with my mates and then perhaps I would have got it out of my system, instead of loosing 20,000pounds by coming here and going back later on in life! roll on Thursday! all the best for you and your family too, 7th feb is very near! nonnynoo :thumbup:

LouiseD Jan 20th 2007 10:52 am

Originally Posted by nonnynoo (Post 4304389)
Hi, my hubbie is a brickie too, it is hard as you think it will all be great and then it all goes pear shaped!. But I am looking forward to getting home now and getting on with my life!. I have spent far too much time on Australia just wish now I had done the travelling thing when I was 18 with my mates and then perhaps I would have got it out of my system, instead of loosing 20,000pounds by coming here and going back later on in life! roll on Thursday! all the best for you and your family too, 7th feb is very near! nonnynoo :thumbup:

It's a damned expensive lesson to learn isn't it? I'm still taking the sleeping pills to get me through the nights because I wake up worrying about just how much money we've lost through this silly venture. Still, onwards and upwards hey? We'll just have to work our butts off to make it all back. At least we've still got the air fares out of here :D

dunroving Jan 20th 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by LouiseD (Post 4304403)
It's a damned expensive lesson to learn isn't it? I'm still taking the sleeping pills to get me through the nights because I wake up worrying about just how much money we've lost through this silly venture. Still, onwards and upwards hey? We'll just have to work our butts off to make it all back. At least we've still got the air fares out of here :D

Gawd, tell me about it - I think this can be the hardest part of re-patting (for those who end up in this situation). I think it's easy for people to assume that if you go to the US, or Oz, etc., that you'll make your fortune while you're away, but the opposite is so often true - you can end up with no work, eating away at savings, or buy a house in a foreign market that then tanks, or end up switching to an expensive currency (outbound) that then drops like a stone before you return, blah, blah blah.

This is probably the only part of my expat experiences that has left a bitter taste in my mouth, as at every turn it seems that things financial went in the opposite direction than would be favorable (latest being the frustrating $2 to the 1 GBP exchange rate, as I'm about to exchange my US savings in order to buy an overpriced UK house that tripled in value during the 6 years my US house value increased by maybe 10%).

In the end you just have to accept it but it's not easy.