Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Norwegian for flights?

Wikiposts

Norwegian for flights?

Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Norwegian for flights?

Has anyone flown with Norwegian to/from the US? It's so much cheaper than the other carriers that we might have to go with them on our next trip to America.

We aren't too fussed about legroom as neither of us has long legs, and charges for checked luggage don't matter either because we always travel with cabin baggage only.

I'm more interested in how others might rate the whole experience, food, entertainment etc.

The prices seem almost too good to be true and they fly from Gatwick, which we prefer. I found flights for about $450 round trip for MIL to come from Boston for DH's British citizenship ceremony (even though she couldn't come in the end.) She always used to pay twice that on BA, American or Virgin, and it is nearly twice as much even for cheaper airlines with one stop-over like Aer Lingus or Icelandair.

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Norwegian for flights?

I can't comment on their transatlantic service but I have flown them return from Gatwick to Arlanda once, never again. They cancelled by text message at 4am which required them to ring Norway to arrange catching a later flight on the same day and the return leg was delayed by several hours so we missed the last train home from Gatwick.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 10:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

They are from all accounts a very average airline, the type of airline where people will use if the price is right.

I would use them if the price is right and give them a try. They don't pop up on the US DOT as having many complaints, 2 in March, and of the foreign airlines on the list, they are more or less in the same complaint level as others, only foreign airline that really stands out it Air Canada with 21 complaints, but then they likely have more flights than any other foreign airline....
Old Apr 10th 2016, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LondonSquirrel
Has anyone flown with Norwegian to/from the US? It's so much cheaper than the other carriers that we might have to go with them on our next trip to America.

We aren't too fussed about legroom as neither of us has long legs, and charges for checked luggage don't matter either because we always travel with cabin baggage only.

I'm more interested in how others might rate the whole experience, food, entertainment etc.

The prices seem almost too good to be true and they fly from Gatwick, which we prefer. I found flights for about $450 round trip for MIL to come from Boston for DH's British citizenship ceremony (even though she couldn't come in the end.) She always used to pay twice that on BA, American or Virgin, and it is nearly twice as much even for cheaper airlines with one stop-over like Aer Lingus or Icelandair.

Any opinions welcome. Thanks.
They charge extra for food and advance seat reservations too, but yes they are cheaper. I know someone whose flown them to Stockholm from LA and thought they were fine, and I'm booked to fly them from Oakland to Gatwick this summer.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 7:47 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My son who lives in England went on holiday to Boston to visit family last week, flew Norwegian Gatwick to Boston. Reportedly, the outward flight was fine and uneventful. He was OK with providing his own food, after all airport terminals offer plenty of choices for buying a packed lunch. Just going for a week, he only took a backpack so no luggage fees (staying with his aunt and his sister, I'm sure they were able to lend him extra clothes if needed!)

He's landing about now in LGW I believe. I'll post again if he has strong opinions, positive or negative..
Old Apr 10th 2016, 8:10 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

My son is just going through passport control at Gatwick, says the Norwegian flight (LGW - BOS) was perfectly fine. It was on time in both directions.
Old Apr 10th 2016, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

LondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond reputeLondonSquirrel has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks everyone!