Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

North Carolina visit

Wikiposts

North Carolina visit

Old Apr 1st 2016, 12:16 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default North Carolina visit

Hi All! We're heading down to Durham for a week in April. Any suggestions on what to visit and where to eat?

We have one whole day, a Sunday, to travel around and then I only have from about 4pm. Doesn't have to be exciting, maybe a nice area of town to walk around, parks etc.

thank you
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Carolina visit

Yoo-hoo, Pulaski! Where are you?!
Old Apr 1st 2016, 3:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Yoo-hoo, Pulaski! Where are you?!
Not in Durham.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 4:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shame, he did not want exciting.

Sorry I can not help, was invited once to a party but it was cancelled.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 2:36 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not in Durham.

Figured you'd have some great alternatives in the area!
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:03 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Figured you'd have some great alternatives in the area! ....
When my parents used to visit we always struggled to find much of anything to do in the area. Other than hiking in the mountains and going to the beach, in the vast bulk of NC in between, I would struggle if asked to find one thing to do per day for a whole week in NC. There's Biltmore in Ashville, Old Salem in Winston Salem, the zoo in Ashboro (which is pretty poor), and I suppose you could tour wineries in the Yadkin valley, which are better established these days. Beyond that IMO you're scraping the barrel - for anyone who has been the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu and the National Railway Museum in York, the NC museum of transportation is pathetic.

I can't think of a single thing that I would travel to Durham to see, though my thoughts on Raleigh and Charlotte are the same. Even the NASCAR Hall of Fame (which I have not visited) in Charlotte is nothing but a giant "3D experience", and even when new it failed to attract even half the visitors they had budgeted for, so this isn't just my opinion. Visitor numbers dropped off so alarmingly that the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority was embarrassed by the numbers and stopped publishing them!

If I was exiled to Durham for a week in the spring or summer I would probably look to see if the minor league baseball team was playing that week.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 2nd 2016 at 3:17 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:07 am
Deep in the woods of CT

When my parents used to visit we always struggled to find much of anything to do in the area. Other than hiking in the mountains and going to the beach, in the vast bulk of NC in between, I would struggle if asked to find one thing to do per day for a whole week in NC. There's Biltmore in Ashville, Old Salem in Winston Salem, the zoo in Ashboro (which is pretty poor), and I suppose you could tour wineries in the Yadkin valley. Beyond that you're scraping the barrel - for anyone who has been the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu and the National Railway Museum in York, the NC museum of transportation is pathetic.

I can't think of a single thing that I would travel to Durham to see, though my thoughts on Raleigh and Charlotte are the same. Even the NASCAR Hall of Fame (which I have not visited) in Charlotte is nothing but a giant "3D experience", and even when new failed to attract even half the visitors they had budgeted for, so this isn't just my opinion. Visitor numbers dropped off so alarmingly that the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority was embarrassed by the numbers and stopped publishing visitot numbers!
Biltmore sounds like fun -- I'd love to see the gardens.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:14 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Even the NASCAR Hall of Fame (which I have not visited) in Charlotte is nothing but a giant "3D experience"
Isn't NASCAR always in 3d?

In a round and round kind of way?
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:29 am

Biltmore sounds like fun -- I'd love to see the gardens.
Worth a visit, certainly, but the whole thing is a knock-off of Chatsworth. The house at Biltmore is well worth seeing, though in the French Chateau style compared to the Italianate architure of Chatsworth, and the architure, design, structure, and engineering of Biltmore is impressive, but the gardens are nothing compared to Chatsworth, where I spent many hours on many visits as a child.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:31 am

Originally Posted by Nutek
Isn't NASCAR always in 3d?

In a round and round kind of way?
Unless it's a "flat track".

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 2nd 2016 at 4:07 am.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 3:47 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Unless its a "flat track".
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

When my parents used to visit we always struggled to find much of anything to do in the area. Other than hiking in the mountains and going to the beach, in the vast bulk of NC in between, I would struggle if asked to find one thing to do per day for a whole week in NC. There's Biltmore in Ashville, Old Salem in Winston Salem, the zoo in Ashboro (which is pretty poor), and I suppose you could tour wineries in the Yadkin valley, which are better established these days. Beyond that IMO you're scraping the barrel - for anyone who has been the National Motor Museum in Beaulieu and the National Railway Museum in York, the NC museum of transportation is pathetic.

I can't think of a single thing that I would travel to Durham to see, though my thoughts on Raleigh and Charlotte are the same. Even the NASCAR Hall of Fame (which I have not visited) in Charlotte is nothing but a giant "3D experience", and even when new it failed to attract even half the visitors they had budgeted for, so this isn't just my opinion. Visitor numbers dropped off so alarmingly that the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority was embarrassed by the numbers and stopped publishing them!

If I was exiled to Durham for a week in the spring or summer I would probably look to see if the minor league baseball team was playing that week.
I'll echo this. Great area to live but for visiting it sucks. Generally the only time we head into Durham is to see the Bulls play. It's a good way to waste an afternoon/evening.

Looks like the you can see them play in April

Team Schedule | Durham Bulls Schedule
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 10:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Well now I know why I didn't find anything enticing to do. Nothing in Raleigh? Chapel Hill?

Looks like it will be drinking and eating.
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

rbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond reputerbackhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well now I know why I didn't find anything enticing to do. Nothing in Raleigh? Chapel Hill?

Looks like it will be drinking and eating.
Well you said Durham ....

NCMA - North Carolina Museum of Art and North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences are worth a visit
Old Apr 2nd 2016, 11:09 am
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by rbackhouse
I did, but I thought you Mercans travelled about a bit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.