British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   non vs. none (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/non-vs-none-920644/)

vespucci Jan 3rd 2019 7:16 pm

Re: non vs. none
 

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12615332)
A question for you Brits out there (I'm American):

In the US, we would say, for example, "non resident". But I've seen some Brits use "none resident". Is that a UK thing?

Thanks.
- Eric S.

Isn't this wrong? The only time I have ever written "non" has been in French class, otherwise I've always written non- followed by something else.

tonrob Jan 3rd 2019 11:56 pm

Re: non vs. none
 

Originally Posted by vespucci (Post 12615840)
Isn't this wrong? The only time I have ever written "non" has been in French class, otherwise I've always written non- followed by something else.

What you have highlighted is correct. I also usually hyphenate in this scenario, so “non-resident”, but I don’t think it needs the hyphen to render it correct.

robin1234 Jan 4th 2019 1:47 pm

Re: non vs. none
 

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 12615968)

What you have highlighted is correct. I also usually hyphenate in this scenario, so “non-resident”, but I don’t think it needs the hyphen to render it correct.

Again, to get back to the devices we use, their foibles, and the effect it has on our submitted text - on my iPad, at least (maybe different on other tablets or other iPads) the hyphen is on another keyboard from the letters. So, if feeling lazy, I sometimes dispense with hyphens. I notice they are never supplied by the spellchecker.

durham_lad Jan 4th 2019 4:42 pm

Re: non vs. none
 
Noone seems able to spell these days ;)

On another forum I frequent one of the regulars (and a real PITA) used “noone” so frequently instead of “no one” that the admins created an account with member name “noone” and each time he would say things like “noone uses libraries much these days” then his post would be quoted by “noone” saying something like “You talking to me?”. This went on for years and he never seemed to notice. Eventually he stopped posting on the site.

robin1234 Jan 4th 2019 6:19 pm

Re: non vs. none
 
Well, along similar lines, two posts ago I typed "may be" and the machine turned it into "maybe." In that particular case, either would have worked, so I left it. Other times "maybe" and "may be" are not the same thing! I just tried typing "noone" and the machine wants to correct it to "no one," though.

durham_lad Jan 4th 2019 7:52 pm

Re: non vs. none
 

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12616290)
Well, along similar lines, two posts ago I typed "may be" and the machine turned it into "maybe." In that particular case, either would have worked, so I left it. Other times "maybe" and "may be" are not the same thing! I just tried typing "noone" and the machine wants to correct it to "no one," though.

Exactly what we found. This member obviously thought he knew better than the autocorrect and insisted on using “noone”

Go figure!!


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:43 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.