British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   No Way to Treat Your Husband (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/no-way-treat-your-husband-929934/)

lansbury Dec 21st 2019 7:39 pm

No Way to Treat Your Husband

The poor old sod is 98 years old. He and Queenie have been married for 72 years. He gets taken into hospital and she buggers off on her Christmas holiday, and leaves him on his own. I would be very upset if Mrs L did that to me.

zzrmark Dec 21st 2019 7:57 pm

Re: No Way to Treat Your Husband

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12781313)
The poor old sod is 98 years old. He and Queenie have been married for 72 years. He gets taken into hospital and she buggers off on her Christmas holiday, and leaves him on his own. I would be very upset if Mrs L did that to me.

But you think like a normal person and they most definitely aren't.

I'm sure Andy coul always pop in with a couple of fifteen year olds...

lizzyq Dec 21st 2019 8:39 pm

She just wants him out of her hair for a few days while she gets everything ready for Christmas without the "my mum never did it like that" comments.

lansbury Dec 21st 2019 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by lizzyq (Post 12781326)
She just wants him out of her hair for a few days while she gets everything ready for Christmas without the "my mum never did it like that" comments.

He might be out of her hair for longer than a few days if his luck runs out.

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 22nd 2019 3:04 am

Or he hasn't bought her a pressie yet and he needs a few days to figure out what to get. Probably be down Peckham market tomorrow to see what Del Boy is flogging :lol:

robin1234 Dec 22nd 2019 7:51 am

Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark was an admirable woman in many ways. But I doubt if preparing for an English royal Christmas was one of her strong points.

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 22nd 2019 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12781406)

Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark was an admirable woman in many ways. But I doubt if preparing for an English royal Christmas was one of her strong points.

Honest answer please: Did you know who his mother was ( her title)off the top of your head or did you Google?:sneaky:

robin1234 Dec 22nd 2019 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12781475)
Honest answer please: Did you know who his mother was ( her title)off the top of your head or did you Google?:sneaky:

:o
Can’t remember. :zzz:
Maybe I used a reference source of some description.

Rete Dec 22nd 2019 6:04 pm

Oh my! After 72 years of marriage, the little lady deserves a Christmas holiday without the old man. He's not on his own. He's in a hospital with three square a day, a clean bed, pretty nurses to look after him and he's laying there thinking "I should have done this last year." ;) :thumbup:

Mempete Dec 22nd 2019 6:31 pm

Perhaps Prince Phillip is being treated now before the U S insurance companies take over the NHS and refuse to treat pre existing conditions!

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 23rd 2019 2:05 am

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12781496)

:o
Can’t remember. :zzz:
Maybe I used a reference source of some description.

And there's me thinking you were an expert royalist:lol:

robin1234 Dec 23rd 2019 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 12781676)
And there's me thinking you were an expert royalist:lol:

I find myself reading a lot more royal stories than I did years ago. I’ll look at the front page of the Guardian or BBC online, see one potentially depressing story after another (ISIS, school shooting, Brexit, Trump, etc.) The antidote? Just read the royal family story du jour! That’s today’s news done & dusted.

I’m certainly not a royalist expert, but my reference source for Phil the Greek’s mater was the Almanach de Gotha. Amazingly, I do have quite a set of them on the shelves in my study, as I get old editions discarded by libraries.

lansbury Dec 23rd 2019 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12781730)

I find myself reading a lot more royal stories than I did years ago. I’ll look at the front page of the Guardian or BBC online, see one potentially depressing story after another (ISIS, school shooting, Brexit, Trump, etc.) The antidote? Just read the royal family story du jour! That’s today’s news done & dusted.

I’m certainly not a royalist expert, but my reference source for Phil the Greek’s mater was the Almanach de Gotha. Amazingly, I do have quite a set of them on the shelves in my study, as I get old editions discarded by libraries.

I watched episode 4 of series 3 of The Crown last night without knowing in advance what it was about. Turns out a large part of the story was about Prince Phillips mother. Never knew she was a nun, assuming it was factually correct.

scrubbedexpat091 Dec 23rd 2019 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Mempete (Post 12781577)
Perhaps Prince Phillip is being treated now before the U S insurance companies take over the NHS and refuse to treat pre existing conditions!

Didn't the reforms during the Obama years change it so pre-existing conditions are not an issue anymore with US insurance?

scrubbedexpat097 Dec 23rd 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 12781730)

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 12781873)
I watched episode 4 of series 3 of The Crown last night without knowing in advance what it was about. Turns out a large part of the story was about Prince Phillips mother. Never knew she was a nun, assuming it was factually correct.

This lady sounds interesting. I guess now I'm a lady of leisure I have time to read up about her. Good way to start retirement!