Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice
Default Re: no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Not all of Canada is cold. Check out the Vancouver area, British Columbia. There is some beautiful country there, if you like the great outdoors. Yes, that is a vinyard.

The whole of California is headed up that way anyway, thanks to the tectonic plates

im sure its a lovely place, never been, I have friends who live there now, moved from uk and they love it
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:56 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
austrailia is an option, although I never been there, I got family in perth…. Canada a definite no from me, toooo cold for my liking !!
Canada does get cold in parts, but as LiW said, some parts are much more temperate as well. Altitude can change things too, Yosemite is in the central valley of California but they had snow before we did because it's mostly above 5000' elevation.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Canada does get cold in parts, but as LiW said, some parts are much more temperate as well. Altitude can change things too, Yosemite is in the central valley of California but they had snow before we did because it's mostly above 5000' elevation.
il look into it thanks again
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I vacation 2 to 4 times a year,
I wouldn't want to get away on vacay as much
Vacation? / Vacay? You mean holiday surely.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Vacation? / Vacay? You mean holiday surely.
lol that I do... im trying to fit in lol
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:41 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

lol that I do... im trying to fit in lol

No need. We're all just a load of immigrants and foreigners here. Except for Leslie, but you haven't met her yet.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

No need. We're all just a load of immigrants and foreigners here. Except for Leslie, but you haven't met her yet.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I’m not an immigrant because I’m British... my mum said so.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

sarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond reputesarasota chic has a reputation beyond repute

We love living in the USA, we are lucky in the fact that my husband works for the department of defense and has very good medical insurance, what you have to figure in CoolHandFluke is if you get to the USA which IMHO I doubt reading your plight on BE, have you thought how much health insurance will cost you etc. The grass isn’t always greener living here I really appreciate the NHS, I miss family and friends. How will you children feel leaving their friends behind. If I were you I’d look at moving somewhere in the U.K.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Not those living in Georgia like Robtuck who apparently likes to sit on his deck in 90+ heat with a humidity index of 105 or those living in Florida where the sidewalks might melt in the summertime, or those in New England where they have spectacular falls.

If you are moving solely for better weather, I fear you and your family will be sorely disappointed.
I am getting the impression I am unique :-)

I loved the summer in Georgia, both times so far. It went below freezing last night, horrible, was thinking of asking for a refund. Sure it gives you some new challenges - my wardrobe looks very different than it did a few years ago and I am going back to the UK for Christmas and have realised I don;t really have any winter clothes.

I think my choice of location was well planned rather than lucky though - I had options and I am technically a work from home employee so don't have to be located next to one of our offices (only registered with one on the Visa, so live within 50 miles for an easy commute when needed). We get less of the really severe stuff that hits more inland and we tend to be just out of reach of the worst the Hurricanes can throw our way. I am also in a growing City that is a little less "rural", close enough to the fun in Atlanta without feeling too close as we are on the less sought after South side. It means property prices are insanely low (in my opinion) without feeling like you are in the middle of a backwater.

That's the real deal maker for me - the options in the USA are greater than you have in the UK (and I would live happily in the latter if that was ever forced on me). To get the improvement I have had living standards would have required me moving hundreds of miles North in the UK, getting worse (by that I mean cold and damp) weather. I was also in a position within my company to make requests that were fulfilled, like 200 hours of Paid Time Off on top of 8 days of Company Holidays.

My wife does say I am far too optimistic though, annoyingly so she claims.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Some people at work, and where I live, will tell me I am not a proper Immigrant, not like those other ones.........................
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:54 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

austrailia is an option, although I never been there, I got family in perth…. Canada a definite no from me, toooo cold for my liking !!
I'm not sure with your record and age that Australia would be an option either. And as for builders, Perth is in the midst of a downturn at the moment.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:59 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robtuck
Some people at work, and where I live, will tell me I am not a proper Immigrant, not like those other ones.........................
Mine tell meI'm a good immigrant, not like them Mexicans (referring to anyone of any ethic group other than white)

I might only be an hour or the road from you, but politically I may as well be in China...
Old Nov 28th 2018, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sarasota chic
We love living in the USA, we are lucky in the fact that my husband works for the department of defense and has very good medical insurance, what you have to figure in CoolHandFluke is if you get to the USA which IMHO I doubt reading your plight on BE, have you thought how much health insurance will cost you etc. The grass isn’t always greener living here I really appreciate the NHS, I miss family and friends. How will you children feel leaving their friends behind. If I were you I’d look at moving somewhere in the U.K.
the kids want to move, im.not forcing them.in anyway, anyway like you said i doubt we will ever get there... and theres no where in the uk id want to.move to

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.