Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Old Nov 28th 2018, 2:09 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: no green card lotto in UK..Why?

Originally Posted by CoolHandFluke
lol yeah I don't say it as matter of fact, but I want out, as im sure u did at some point
Not in my case, no. I didn't emigrate because I was dis-satisfied with my country of birth. We emigrated to try something new which would enrich our life experience. To explore & experience.

From what has been written , the USA is not likely to be on the cards for you. Perhaps look to another country.

I did read that you feel moving your children more than once might not be helpful for them but quite often the children are more resilient than the adults. You might well be surprised.

I agree that often it takes leaving that which we take for granted to truly appreciate what we leave behind.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 3:10 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I totally understand the feeling; getting worn down by the status quo. The weather really can affect you. Reading the doom and gloom and resentment and jealousy and sniping in the Daily Mail.
(I still go there after the Times put up a pay-wall many years ago.) Getting away from all that can do wonders. 'Recently had my cell phone half-inched. Took almost a month to sort out a replacement. It was actually quite nice.

Just telling you my experiences, though; a geographical relocation doesn't fix your mindset. I had depression one time and moved across the country - thinking that would solve my problem. It didn't. I was just depressed somewhere else.

Don't give up on your dreams; make it a long term plan and consider somewhere easier to make that first step. The only thing about being an ex-pat is that once you are, you can never really go "home" again. Home will be forever changed and not what you thought it was. It's a blessing and a curse.
That itch is what makes some of us adventurers and explorers. We want to see what's over that hill. Take my wife... please.
No, seriously, my wife is a great explorer. Whenever we go somewhere, she has to go into every room, especially the ones that say Authorised Personnel Only.
It stresses me out. We have to hide in the trees at the Botanical Gardens when the Lothlorien Elves (security guards) are turfing people out, so we can be locked in an explore the gardens in the dark.

That itch reminds be of the George Bernard Shaw quote: The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. And Donald Trump.

You almost had me swooning there OF, almost.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 4:05 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wondered what m8 meant.

And news from your prospective employers?
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

That itch is what makes some of us adventurers and explorers. We want to see what's over that hill. Take my wife... please.
No, seriously, my wife is a great explorer. Whenever we go somewhere, she has to go into every room, especially the ones that say Authorised Personnel Only.
It stresses me out. We have to hide in the trees at the Botanical Gardens when the Lothlorien Elves (security guards) are turfing people out, so we can be locked in an explore the gardens in the dark.

That itch reminds be of the George Bernard Shaw quote: The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying tot adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. And Donald Trump.
yes trump is making plans harder thats for sure
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

CoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really niceCoolHandFluke is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler

And news from your prospective employers?
not yet ... a little worrying
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS
Not in my case, no. I didn't emigrate because I was dis-satisfied with my country of birth. We emigrated to try something new which would enrich our life experience. To explore & experience.

From what has been written , the USA is not likely to be on the cards for you. Perhaps look to another country.

I did read that you feel moving your children more than once might not be helpful for them but quite often the children are more resilient than the adults. You might well be surprised.

I agree that often it takes leaving that which we take for granted to truly appreciate what we leave behind.
to be honest bevs its either life is the us or life in the uk, no where else appeals to me althougg retiring to spain when im 60 is on the cards
Old Nov 28th 2018, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO it takes living in a different country to really appreciate the UK.
yes i can imagine missing home once leaving
Old Nov 28th 2018, 8:18 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
IMO it takes living in a different country to really appreciate the UK.
Or whatever country you're from. Every time I go back I miss Canada more.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 11:20 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see what you think makes life in the US so great. Same sh*t, different bucket. The daily grind is still the daily grind. Yes you might get a little more sunshine, or a larger house, but you still have to get up and go to work everyday. The 'American Dream' (such as it is) is built on a bunch pf crappy labor laws.

Last edited by civilservant; Nov 28th 2018 at 11:23 am.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 11:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

nothing great about Britain no more m8....
In your opinion. Plenty of us think it's pretty great! If you don't like the area you live in, why not move within the UK? Would save you tens of thousands of pounds and be a heck of a lot easier.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 28th 2018 at 1:07 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 12:03 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

to be honest bevs its either life is the us or life in the uk, no where else appeals to me
I wonder if that's half the problem, right there.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 1:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
In your opinion. Plenty of us think it's pretty great! If you don't like the area you live in, why not move within the UK? Would save you tens of thousands of pounds and be a heck of a lot easier.
Absolutely. I see my family living very happy and successful lives there, with rewarding jobs and taking multiple vacations every year. To be honest, many of my immediate family -- my sister and her three adult children -- have seen more of the US than I have on their travels! Only gripe: the younger end are unhappy about the "leave" vote, seeing it as a backward step that will affect the future of their children.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I really don't see what you think makes life in the US so great. Same sh*t, different bucket. The daily grind is still the daily grind. Yes you might get a little more sunshine, or a larger house, but you still have to get up and go to work everyday. The 'American Dream' (such as it is) is built on a bunch pf crappy labor laws.
And this is where every individual is different (just like everyone else ;-) )

For me, two years and two months in (early days I guess), it still feels like a holiday. In my role here the acceptance of home working is much greater, so I work from an office three days a week and from home for two - I managed one day in the UK but not every week. I get the better weather of Georgia than anywhere in the UK could offer, and being rubbish at languages I prefer being able to understand people (most of the time) vs. going to somewhere in Spain lets say (not that I am knocking that, I just feel you should embrace the local culture and language and that would be a struggle for me on the latter).

I get to travel easily enough to many of the destinations I would like to see and experience. I get to sit out on the deck and work, in shorts, for a good seven months of the year at least. It's fun.

Now, that isn't for everyone, but I do know that I could not have my current life in the UK. I had no issue with living in the UK at all - I am not a traveler in the home moving sense, I lived in the same Town for 41 years! I am lucky, I got to choose the life I am living, but my luck came from hard work (which I still need to put in, I just get some nice new benefits).

The Grass isn't always greener, hell no, but it can be if you choose the right grass for the right reasons.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 2:09 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Gr8 b8 m8

Originally Posted by civilservant
Yeah, while it's a bit cheaper on here the surface, unless you're rich enough, whatever country you move to is going to be the same daily slog, just with different scenery

Don't get me wrong, I like the US a lot (except when it snows) and a lot of the time I don't even miss the UK/Ireland even though I always look forward for my next visit. Best of both words, or something like that, but unless you have done your research before coming here you may find that it's not always better this side of the pond depending on your situation.
Old Nov 28th 2018, 2:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

yes trump is making plans harder thats for sure

It's situations like this that make me think we ought to be able to introduce some sort of voluntary swap program, whereby people like me with legal US residency (indeed, citizenship now) but who want to return to the UK can hand it off to someone who actually wants to live here in return for that person paying the passage home for the returner. This would create no change to the number of immigrants or citizens in any country, and would make at least two people and their families happy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.