Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'....

The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'....

Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:34 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'....

Originally Posted by HumphreyC View Post
Whereabouts do you live - Boston metro ?
Pretty much anywhere inside of I-495.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 5:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notshipman View Post
Most GPs self employed so to get a concrete figure very hard surveys have said a full time GP between 60-70 hrs per week yes this is no joke...
Considering the compensation, that doesn't actually sound that bad. Less hours and more than double the compensation as a dev, without the threat of a spotty 12 year old sending you a bomb

Last edited by Bob; Jun 27th 2014 at 6:00 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:00 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by GeoffM View Post
KP.org, next available appointment with my doctor, Monday July 7th at 2:50pm. But if you try for a same-day early enough in the morning then quite often you'll get one.
I just arranged appointments with our doc for a regular physical and the soonest we could be fit in was next May

They're much better for urgent care situations mind.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have ACA cover?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 8:39 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post
Do you have ACA cover?
No, Anthem.

It's always been a chore getting a physical or non-urgent care or anything not kid related.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I am curious, does the UK have a max # of patients a GP can see per day before it affects their income?

Here up to 50 the GP gets 100% payment, 51-65 the government reduces the payment by 50%.

66+ no payment at all.

For a basic office visit GP's are paid 33 to 45 dollars depending on the age of the patient, for each patient seen.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
No, Anthem.

It's always been a chore getting a physical or non-urgent care or anything not kid related.
I was wondering as I had the impression that ACA patients were getting kicked down the line due to lower payments rate.

Not sure how much of that is hearsay.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
I am curious, does the UK have a max # of patients a GP can see per day before it affects their income?

Here up to 50 the GP gets 100% payment, 51-65 the government reduces the payment by 50%.

66+ no payment at all.

For a basic office visit GP's are paid 33 to 45 dollars depending on the age of the patient, for each patient seen.
It used to be that you were paid for your 'book', not by individual visit.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 12:00 am
Banned

notshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to beholdnotshipman is a splendid one to behold

It used to be that you were paid for your 'book', not by individual visit.
Correct you are paid a fixed yearly fee for each patient which varies a bit according to the age of the patient etc Also additional money if offer extra services like family planning etc etc

To the other poster no there is no limit of patients per GP but there are recommended levels to which most GPs never even get close!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

I stopped by to share this story, if anyone is interested. My earlier comments about the NHS (referring to primary care/GPs) imploding are backed up with specifics in an industry journal here:
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:37 pm
Account Closed

Having a surgery in Neath Port Talbot is geographically impossible.

The comments are interesting, reference to increasing mandated overheads which can be swallowed to some extent in an expanding economy. But nor now.

To give a silly example somebody I know works part time for the County and was there when the Health Inspector, now outsourced, inspected the school kitchens. He had his check list which included a few more things that they wanted inspected. No obvious benefit to these requirements but it is for the safety of the children so cost irrelevant.

Where does it stop?

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Jul 3rd 2014 at 8:39 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 6:59 am
Account Closed

NHS patients waiting longer for routine operations under coalition | Society | The Guardian

Information supplied by more than half of England's 162 acute hospital trusts also shows that patients are facing a postcode lottery in how long they have to wait before they get treated, with delays of as long as 215 days in some places.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

I sort of have the best of both worlds.....

NHS availability - used only once, so far, with regard to a two day hospitalisation (sports injury) plus a letter recently received to say that I now have my own "designated" doctor within my particular patient practice..

..and private health insurance cover covered by monthly premiums but up until now have had no need to make use of any of its facilities.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Having a surgery in Neath Port Talbot is geographically impossible.

Where does it stop?
Neath Port Talbot.....the map tells me that this is in Wales......the NHS in Wales is administered by the Labour Party.........the NHS in Wales is currently in a bit of a mess........need I say any more?
Old Jul 4th 2014, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

Neath is a long way from Port Talbot.

I was reading what Labour was going to do if they win the next election, basically everything is going to be wonderful.

I forgot that they can point to how well they have done in Wales.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.