British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Trailer Park (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/)
-   -   The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/trailer-park-96/nhs-worlds-best-healthcare-system-836831/)

Englishmum Jun 18th 2014 12:48 pm

The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'....

.....'healthcare provision in the US is the worst in the world'...

according to a report by the respected Commonwealth Foundation, based in Washington

NHS is the world's best healthcare system, report says | Society | The Guardian

Let the arguments begin! :ohmy:;)

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 2:34 pm

Re: The NHS 'is the world's best healthcare system'....

There cannot be any argument on access at the very least.

Pulaski Jun 18th 2014 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 11306859)
There cannot be any argument on access at the very least.

That depends on whether you include "timeliness of access" as a factor for conditions which the state deems to be "non-urgent". :rolleyes:

coastieexpat Jun 18th 2014 3:27 pm

If the US had a NHS type of service, ( i.e. single payer everybody covered ) I think it would overtake the UK.

However it doesn't ........... So it won't !

Weeze Jun 18th 2014 4:26 pm

It's done against cost of service isn't it so a system where you can pay nothing is going to rank well.

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 11307015)
It's done against cost of service isn't it so a system where you can pay nothing is going to rank well.

It's not just that, includes other criteria such as 'healthy lives' (did not score so well on that), providing effective care, safe care, co-ordinated care and patient-centred care, giving access to care, efficient use of resources (all top).

Co-ordinated care is something I've really noticed for relatives back in the UK.

kimilseung Jun 18th 2014 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Weeze (Post 11307015)

Its on cost, not cost to end user.

kimilseung Jun 18th 2014 4:34 pm

NHS..."poor record on keeping people alive" Doesn't look good out of context at all does it?

Sally Redux Jun 18th 2014 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11307023)
NHS..."poor record on keeping people alive" Doesn't look good out of context at all does it?

:lol: I know.

We've mentioned this before, probably no statistics on that group in the US.

Rickyk Jun 18th 2014 4:44 pm

The line I like is "The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive" I would have thought that this was quite important.

As someone who can afford health care here there is no question the service is the best. If you are stuck without health insurance (should not happen with Obama care) then it is very tough. It is a motivation to stay employed and keep paying my insurance premium!

Giantaxe Jun 18th 2014 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Rickyk (Post 11307033)
The line I like is "The only serious black mark against the NHS was its poor record on keeping people alive" I would have thought that this was quite important.

I think this is a measure of life-expectancy which, as pointed out

"The authors say that the healthcare system cannot be solely blamed for this issue, which is strongly influenced by social and economic factors."

As someone who can afford health care here there is no question the service is the best. If you are stuck without health insurance (should not happen with Obama care) then it is very tough. It is a motivation to stay employed and keep paying my insurance premium!

And if you have a serious illness and can't work?

The ACA is going to help a lot. It would help even more if all states adopted the Medicaid expansion.

Giantaxe Jun 18th 2014 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Rickyk (Post 11307058)
Thankfully this is a decision for individual states and we get to choose where we live.

Theoretically we get to choose. Practically speaking, a lot of people - especially those in low income groups who would benefit from the Medicaid expansion - don't.

Rickyk Jun 18th 2014 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 11307049)
I think this is a measure of life-expectancy which, as pointed out

"The authors say that the healthcare system cannot be solely blamed for this issue, which is strongly influenced by social and economic factors."

And if you have a serious illness and can't work?

The ACA is going to help a lot. It would help even more if all states adopted the Medicaid expansion.

If I am incapacitated and unable to work I guess that is what long term disability insurance is for. Not cheap insurance but may be required depending on financial circumstances.

Thankfully the expansion of Medicaid is an individual state responsibility and we get to choose which state we live in.

Bob Jun 18th 2014 5:43 pm

Problem with that mantra, it can all be to easy for it to be taken out of your hands...getting sick for instance :/

One shouldn't have to rely on ones ability to work for the quality of their healthcare.

Weeze Jun 18th 2014 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 11307019)
Its on cost, not cost to end user.

Ahhhhh.