NHS

Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NHS

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
The lesson I've learned is that this is indicative that "The NHS struggles under the burden of immigration. Period." is but a small part of the puzzle.
I do not know the number now but some years back there was a report that 70% of the London costs were health tourists.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
I do not know the number now but some years back there was a report that 70% of the London costs were health tourists.
Odd that these claims are rarely if ever backed up by quantitative data.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:16 pm
Account Closed

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-nor...ria-manchester

I check the Guardian as I know its coverage will not be questioned here.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

This guy has a lot of good things to say.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat099; Feb 11th 2013 at 7:33 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:36 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-nor...ria-manchester

I check the Guardian as I know its coverage will not be questioned here.
This article says "..hospitals in 2010/11 charged overseas visitors more than £23m for treatment and wrote off just under £7m of debts."

Now that implies the balance sheet is in relatively good shape (for every £3 charged to foreign visitors, about £2 are recovered.) But I suspect for many patients, no attempt is made to charge them.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:01 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by robin1234
This article says "..hospitals in 2010/11 charged overseas visitors more than £23m for treatment and wrote off just under £7m of debts."

Now that implies the balance sheet is in relatively good shape (for every £3 charged to foreign visitors, about £2 are recovered.) But I suspect for many patients, no attempt is made to charge them.
To put it another way they recovered GBP16m for the whole year...
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234

I'm sure that's true. Otoh, the total NHS budget is £104 billion, so how much of an issue can this really be? That's not to say it isn't an issue, but count me very sceptical that health tourism is the cause of the NHS's woes. It's great tabloid fodder though.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 8:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Middlemore
The NHS struggles under the burden of immigration. Period.

I worked in London for a few weeks at the end of last year, (keeping my UK RN registration), and learned that 90% of patients are non-English speakers, 60% of births are to non-UK mothers, and interpreters are paid £100 per conversation.
Certainly in the 6 weeks I worked I could count the number of English patients on my fingers. And in A&E I see anything from 40 to 80 patients a day.

I have no understanding of the politics behind this, but why on earth does the entire world turn up and use the NHS for free, when it is held together by a minority of folk who paid taxes and NI all their lives?
Who's to say they aren't EU or legal UK residence folks though?

And NHS is funded from general taxation, so unless someone is living a hermit lifestyle, they contribute whenever they buy shit.

On the flip side, a lot of Brits bugger off to other countries to avoid queues when the rates are low, especially for dental care, so it's hard to be critical.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

The lady from Nigeria was not.

So using the GBP 104billion, even if it was 1% that would be GBP1 billion.

I find it hard to believe the figure is not double digit percentage.

What other Country can you go to that gives you free treatment, I know people who have gone abroad, but they had to pay. I have had treatment abroad, not intentionally.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
I'm sure that's true. Otoh, the total NHS budget is £104 billion, so how much of an issue can this really be? That's not to say it isn't an issue, but count me very sceptical that health tourism is the cause of the NHS's woes. It's great tabloid fodder though.
So we have 1/5 the population of the US (60M vs 300M) and a budget of £104Bn, or about $170Bn.

I understand the US spend on healthcare is $2.3Tn, or about 15x.

I know I haven't factored in private healthcare spend, and prescription charges etc for the UK. It's unlikely to be anything like the same...

But on a per capita basis the US works out around 3x more expensive IF the currently 48-60M uninsured were covered... (though I'm sure these 48-60M spend something between them on healthcare...).
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider
So we have 1/5 the population of the US (60M vs 300M) and a budget of £104Bn, or about $170Bn.

I know I haven't factored in private healthcare spend, and prescription charges etc for the UK. It's unlikely to be anything like the same...

But on a per capita basis the US works out around 3x more expensive IF the currently 48-60M uninsured were covered... (though I'm sure these 48-60M spend something between them on healthcare...).
US Gov spends about the same as the UK directly, and then about the same again privately.

It also gives up tax on employer spend.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The lady from Nigeria was not.

So using the GBP 104billion, even if it was 1% that would be GBP1 billion.

I find it hard to believe the figure is not double digit percentage.

What other Country can you go to that gives you free treatment, I know people who have gone abroad, but they had to pay. I have had treatment abroad, not intentionally.
Do you have anything to back up your assertion that the UK spends at least £10billion a year on health tourism?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

US spends 17% of GDP; the UK 9%. Some pretty graphs here:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...e-spending-gdp
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:15 am
Account Closed

Not the sort of information that is likely to be released, just think of the political consequences.

Logic says it is going to be pretty substantial, I seem to remember someone on this board who wanted to pay, but could find no way of being charged. So what chance is there?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Middlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the roughMiddlemore is a jewel in the rough

Is it right that having wisely spent taxpayers money eradicating diseases in this country the NHS now has to pay for the care of immigrants arriving with the same diseases?
I work in a major London hospital a couple of months a year and its usual for around one tenth of the in-patient population to have TB, for example.
We also spent a lot treating malaria, Hep B and C, and a whole range of tropical diseases that have been effectively 'imported' by immigrants. I have seen whole wards occupied by immigrants with TB, straight from the airport. Presumably patients waiting to be admitted for other treatments have to wait?

I also understand that the hospital spends more on interpreters than on patient meals. Would a Brit get free healthcare and a free interpreter if they traveled say to Somalia, Poland or India, where the majority of these folk have come from? If there is no reciprocal arrangement in place, why not?

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/gps-forc...e#.URmznKNdzzk

I have worked in the NHS since 1986, but now believe it to be unsustainable. The number of folk paying NI are seriously outnumbered by the folk using the NHS. Its that simple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.